Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Advice on 1954 Baseball Cards rated by SMA

I am researching a number of 1954 Topp's cards that were donated to St. Vincent de Paul. They are in sealed, hard plastic cases and are rated by SMA. I realize that currently PSA is the "gold standard" of rating services. Any advice on what I can do to maximize the monies for our charity by selling these cards ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Do you have a list or pictures of the others? Cards graded by companies other than PSA, BGS, or SMC will yield significantly less. You can consider sending them in for regrading from one of the big 3 companies depending on quantity and quality of the cards, especially if any are big name stars or valuable short prints.

Mike

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls
    See jplcom's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

Yeah, if it's not PSA, BGS/BVG, or SGC, I would consider the card the same as what an ungraded card would sell for.

SCF Rewards
    Country

After reading your reply I decided to "crack open... literally as they were permanently sealed" ... one of the SMA rated cards. What I found was
    the card was paper. Yep, not cardboard, but paper. Any idea why someone would go through the bother of grading … if in fact it was truly graded... a paper based baseball card ? Help please... I'm stumped.
    Thanks,
    Ron

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I found this:

From the SMA website....

Paper Stock

These original paper stock cutouts are mostly before the traditional card era pre-1950. These Original Vintage Collectable's are increasing in popularity, and gaining recognition in the vintage card world. These paper stock cutouts give collectors a great way to own the early stars like Ty Cobb, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Honus Wagner, Babe Ruth etc without spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the few T-206, Cracker Jack Etc. cards. Paper stock cutouts offer better poses and have visual appearance than the standard Pre 1950 cards.

The original 1954 and 1955 S.I. Topps -Sports Illustrated (paper stock) versions officially licensed by Topps.
    --------------------------------------------------------

So I guess they were from inserts in Sports Illustrated in the 50s and people cut them out and got them graded.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hmmm... seems like a waste of money for someone to want a knockoff, paper based card to be graded? Or, since the card is permanently sealed, is the person trying to pass it off as a real 1954 card, knowing that it would never be opened, and get big money for it ? seems bizarre to me.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
    Ron

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Wizards NULL NULL

Yeah, if it's not PSA, BGS/BVG, or SGC, I would consider the card the same as what an ungraded card would sell for.

I consider GMA every bit as good as PSA. I've never had an issue with a GMA holder , can't say the same for PSA. I've used both and will stick with GMA

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Looking more closely at the case, it does say 1954 SI Topps, which would indicate that the card was from Sports Illustrated. Seems kind of crazy that they would grade those as they came in a sheet and would have been cut to make separate cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ah … good catch on noticing the "SI" on the SMA grading label.
    I agree it seems to make zero sense to grade these.
    Good News : You folks were incredibly helpful in solving this mystery
    Bad News : My favorite charity, St. Vincent de Paul of Fond du Lac, will receive closer to $10 rather
    than the thousands they hoped to get from this most interesting donation. :)
    Thanks all,
    Ron

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls
    See jplcom's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

I consider GMA every bit as good as PSA. I've never had an issue with a GMA holder , can't say the same for PSA. I've used both and will stick with GMA

Certainly can't argue with $3.50 per card, $4.00 per jersey card, and $10 per autographed card with a guaranteed 7 day turn around time to boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast