Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

SCF Rewards
    Country

1991 Topps Desert Shield - Complete Set

Hello,

I have a complete 1991 Topps Desert Shield Set. It contains all 792 cards.

The following cards are graded by BGS:

Card #5 - Cal Ripcken - Grade 7.5
    Card #35 - Greg Maddux - Grade 9
    Card #79 - Frank Thomas - Grade 8.5
    Card #333 - Chipper Jones - Grade 8
    Card #790 - Ken Griffey Jr. - Grade 7.5

All other cards are in similar condition (roughly 7 to 9) and are stored in covers and in a binder.

Specials:
    Card #100 - Don Mattingly has an printing error (Hit stat 1990 is 10 instead of 101). This "error" card is much more valuable than the normal card.

What do you guys think is a reasonable price for the set and what is the best place to sell it?

Thanks in advance...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2. Find Baseball Cards on Kronozio!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Toledo Rockets
    Packrip.com Traders

If I were you I would take a bit of time and do some research based off of previously sold items. eBay Sold Items shows a full set going for $3000 just 2 days ago. That being said, you may have a chance to get more than that with the individual graded cards too. That is why I suggest doing some research. It also appears that a graded Nolan Ryan would bring quite a pretty penny if you were willing to get more cards graded. Just my personal thoughts.

You have something quite valuable on your hands. Take the time to make sure you get the best price.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers

Also keep in mind that there were a lot of forgery cards pertaining to this set due to being a rare set of cards.

https://sportscardinfo.wordpress.com...-shield-cards/

Marlies

My tradelists can be seen here:

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for your replies and your help.
    @bigbenjobu: yes, I made the mistake that I only sent in my 5 favourites cards for grading. I should have sent in more at the same time. Maybe I will send others in again, which isn't that easy here from Germany (costs, customs etc.)

@emlctrader: 5 of the cards are graded by BGS. BGS would sort the cards out and won't grade the cards if they are fake wouldn't they? Or would they just grade the condition no matter what kind of card it is?
    Sorry for that stupid question, but I am really not sure here...
    I got all the cards of the set from the same source. One of my friends was working in an army base in Germany in the 90s and he was trading / getting the cards from soldiers there. Many soldiers where not going back to US directly from Irak. They first went to army bases in Germany and then from there back to the US.
    At least this is what he told me. I would be completely shocked if even one card of the set is a fake.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers

Thanks for your replies and your help.
    @bigbenjobu: yes, I made the mistake that I only sent in my 5 favourites cards for grading. I should have sent in more at the same time. Maybe I will send others in again, which isn't that easy here from Germany (costs, customs etc.)

@emlctrader: 5 of the cards are graded by BGS. BGS would sort the cards out and won't grade the cards if they are fake wouldn't they? Or would they just grade the condition no matter what kind of card it is?
    Sorry for that stupid question, but I am really not sure here...
    I got all the cards of the set from the same source. One of my friends was working in an army base in Germany in the 90s and he was trading / getting the cards from soldiers there. Many soldiers where not going back to US directly from Irak. They first went to army bases in Germany and then from there back to the US.
    At least this is what he told me. I would be completely shocked if even one card of the set is a fake.

As far as I know the graded companies would let you know about fake cards since that would be part of their job.

Based on the background behind getting the cards it sounds like you have the real cards. I have a few myself and am looking for some, but no way I could afford the whole set! :-)

Marlies