Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Real Cloutier just gets no respect at all -- and if you have a rookie or any of his cards PM me.

Like the title says.... Real Cloutier just gets no damn respect..

I was just going through some cards and was looking at an 84-85 Topps Real Cloutier, which I presume is his last card, and his statistics are just amazing...

And yes, I'm aware of the 70's and 80's, and all the arguments made about that high scoring era, however I feel these statistics are HOF material... If it matters I'm not a die hard Cloutier fan or anything but these stats speak for themselves..

It's just amazing, I mean this is a perfect example of a guy that IMO got robbed of HOF consideration just because he spent his prime in the WHA... People can say the WHA had lesser talent all they like and there is some truth to that to some extent but 141 points in a season is just ridiculous no matter what era or what professional league you're in... I mean I would compare the WHA to the KHL... It's not the NHL but still it was a professional league with some very good players.

WHA: 369 GP, 588 Points.
    NHL: 318 GP, 344 Points

687 GP, 932 Points combined.

So what gives?

I've been following hockey and talking hockey for several decades now, and I have never really seen anyone try to make a HOF argument for Cloutier when I think one very well could be made, because the statistics are on his side... IMO he'd be a better candidate than a guy like Dick Duff or Glenn Anderson - and yes I saw Anderson play when he was with the Oilers..

How do some of you old time hockey historians feel about Real?

Also, if you want to make this into a "Should be in the HOF" thread then go ahead because there are plenty of candidates out there that seem to have been forgotten er wrongfully overlooked for whatever reasons and as a Blackhawks fan I will nominate Steve Larmer and Doug Wilson right off the bat for "Should be in the HOF"... Another guy is Craig Janney who was a "poor mans Adam Oates" - and that's not a knock - because I think being a "poor mans Adam Oates" is enough to get you into the HOF ...

But Real Cloutier should be in the HOF, I mean he was still a PPG player in the NHL - and I know it was a high scoring era but... SMH..

The dude had 27 career hat tricks.... Also, as a Hawks fan he's the reason why the Hawks ended up with Denis Savard (who by the way is a HOF'er and fellow French Canadian).. The Nordiques gave the Hawks the 3rd overall pick in 1980 in order to retain Cloutier in a deep draft so obviously he was highly valued once upon a time but he seems to have been forgotten ... I mean the Nordiques certainly wouldn't have passed on Savard like the Canadians did in the 1980 draft so.. Savard absolutely would have ended up in Quebec had that the Hawks retained Cloutier, and to be honest I'm kind of shocked the Hawks actually "traded" Cloutier for the 3rd overall pick even in hindsight.. Obviously as a Savy fan I'm glad the Hawks made the trade but had the Hawks retained Cloutier I'm sure he would have gone on to have similar success compared to Savard with the Hawks... Also you can bet the Hawks really could have used Cloutier in the 70's, they had good enough teams where Cloutier could have been the player that made that difference...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2. Find Hockey Cards on Kronozio!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Found this thread from a while ago on another forum about Real Cloutier and whether he belongs in the HHOF: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...r-hhof.327430/

COLLECTING NY RANGERS
    Most Wanted: 2012-13 Fleer Retro Auto 40 Messier, 2006-07 Parkhurst Auto 196 Esposito
    Downsizing my Rangers PC: Hundreds of cards available, check out my
    Hidden Content and my COMC account

SCF Rewards
    Country

Found this thread from a while ago on another forum about Real Cloutier and whether he belongs in the HHOF: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...r-hhof.327430/

Funny, that's a 12-year old thread, and I actually partook in that exact thread/discussion..

I used to post on HF a lot (Hawksfan2828)... Not so much recently.. I stopped posting because I don't like their new layout, but yea I've been a member at HF since the early 2000's.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/hockey?

Doesn't even have him on their list of 125 players.

The HOF has long been criticized for being an "NHL Hall of Fame" rather than a "Hockey Hall of Fame". With Cloutier you do have to include his stats from both leagues to get a good case going.

There's probably a handful of ex-WHA guys that get no consideration, but should. Andre Lacroix, for example. He wasn't a great NHLer, jumped to the WHA for the prime of his career (is the league's all-time leading scorer.... with 798 points in 551 games). Played 29 games for the Whalers after the merge, and then was done.

4 points shy of 1k between the two leagues, in less than 900 games played.

SCF Rewards
    Country

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/hockey?

Doesn't even have him on their list of 125 players.

The HOF has long been criticized for being an "NHL Hall of Fame" rather than a "Hockey Hall of Fame". With Cloutier you do have to include his stats from both leagues to get a good case going.

There's probably a handful of ex-WHA guys that get no consideration, but should. Andre Lacroix, for example. He wasn't a great NHLer, jumped to the WHA for the prime of his career (is the league's all-time leading scorer.... with 798 points in 551 games). Played 29 games for the Whalers after the merge, and then was done.

4 points shy of 1k between the two leagues, in less than 900 games played.

Lacroix is another good one... It just seems there is a lot of bias against those that played in the WHA or at least got their start there... I mean there are only a handful of players that got their start in the WHA that are in the HOF, and the majority of them only played 1 season before the merger alas Gretzky, Messier etc... I think Mark Howe, who played 6 seasons in the WHA is one of the few players that played several seasons in the WHA that made it to the HOF... Obviously you have guys like Gordie Howe, Hull and Plante who played in the WHA, but they were already HOF'ers before they joined the league..

I'd bet if Bernie Parent stayed in the WHA we would be having the same discussion about him. And we probably would considering it was Bernie's time in Philly (his second stint) where he cemented himself as a Hall of Famer.. Bernie's win/loss/tie record before 1972 was pretty dismal.. 310 GP, 94-138-64, .916 SV and 2.85 GAA.. So he was only winning 33% of his games prior to joining the WHA, and absolutely was not a HOF'er... I will say this much, that .916 SV % is quite good when you factor in his W-L record..

I suppose my point is that it appears that there was some sort of resentment for players that opted for the WHA instead of the NHL, and for some reason it really affected the players that split their career between the WHA and NHL..

To be honest I think the WHA was more attractive to some players than the NHL, I mean the WHA's draft age was 18 compared to 20 in the NHL, so a lot of guys that were good enough for pro hockey opted for the WHA instead of the NHL because it was their only choice... Also WHA salaries were competitive with the NHL.... So I don't think these players should be punished for opting for the WHA instead of the NHL, especially when you consider that the O6 teams had deep farm systems and a lot of these guys would be buried there...