Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Considering sending my first 5 cards to BGS...

Getting back into the hobby this week, I realized I had a bunch of nice stuff in my boxes. Doing some digging on ebay and all, obviously seeing graded cards go for so much higher than non-graded ones got me considering sending some in.

I realize it's incredibly subjective on some things, and what I think is at least a 9 and what BGS would think are two different things, but I have a couple questions.

1. If the grade is low enough to drop it's graded value (below a 9?) is there a way to remove the card safely from the case? In the case of resell, I would rather sell an ungraded card than a low graded one.

2. I know there are countless threads of PSA vs BGS, who do you prefer?

3. It's not super cheap, $20/card for 20 day turnaround +shipping/insurance, IYO, is the cost and time worth it, or would you rather sell them raw?

I understand most of this is purely opinion based, and that's fine, I am looking for opinions. Trying to decide, whether or not to blow over $150 on 5 cards to get graded will likely be the best way to determine if the value is there for me, isn't super easy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Wizards NULL NULL

I just sent 38 cards to GMA for $160 and they guarantee a one week turnaround. I just collect and have never sold a single card but I would suggest you do your own research. The resale may or may not be lower but so is your investment . Just my two cents

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

@Joshmets31 runs the SCF group submissions for PSA and BGS. I bring this up because the more we have, usually the better the rate, but I'll defer to Josh on this

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Mets New York Islanders New York Jets
    See proschoicesports's Items on eBay

Hey! Feel free to ask me any questions you my have. I do a lot of grading PSA and BGS mostly. If I believe the card could 10/10 I send to Beckett, otherwise it goes off to PSA. Cost is a big factor as well as demand of psa vs bgs graded cards.

1. Yes. I often crack bgs 9s to send to PSA and vice versa. While there is always some risk in cracking a slab open, with the right technique the risk can be minimized. In the case of resell I find it that some cards sell the same or better as 9s compared to Raws. If selling an ungraded Card compared to raw I would disclose the previous grade when selling (I do personally since I think it’s right to look out for fellow hobbyists)

2. I use both. I prefer PSA for non autos, BGS for chrome autos that have a good chance to 10/10 Pristine. Right now I send about 80 cards to PSA for every 20 I send to bgs. Cost is a big factor in the decision.

3. If the card is going to grade well, it is always worth it. I just sold a bowman chrome auto for $129.99 on eBay that sells for $28-$45 raw. It was sold within 1 hour of posting. If the card is clean and the player is good....Grade!!!

Any other questions let me know! Link to the group PSA/BGS subs are in my signature below.

Josh

Getting back into the hobby this week, I realized I had a bunch of nice stuff in my boxes. Doing some digging on ebay and all, obviously seeing graded cards go for so much higher than non-graded ones got me considering sending some in.

I realize it's incredibly subjective on some things, and what I think is at least a 9 and what BGS would think are two different things, but I have a couple questions.

1. If the grade is low enough to drop it's graded value (below a 9?) is there a way to remove the card safely from the case? In the case of resell, I would rather sell an ungraded card than a low graded one.

2. I know there are countless threads of PSA vs BGS, who do you prefer?

3. It's not super cheap, $20/card for 20 day turnaround +shipping/insurance, IYO, is the cost and time worth it, or would you rather sell them raw?

I understand most of this is purely opinion based, and that's fine, I am looking for opinions. Trying to decide, whether or not to blow over $150 on 5 cards to get graded will likely be the best way to determine if the value is there for me, isn't super easy.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'll keep this short with no sales pitch considering it's strictly opinions.

1- a really good pair of tile nippers, don't rush and be careful. haven't had a problem yet.

2- PSA

3- You have to dial in what it's going to grade. After that just see what they're selling for (easy part) and do the math.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What are the cards you would be sending in? Most cards shouldn't be graded since the cost of grading is more costly than the bump you would get from grading it.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

2000 Impact Tom Brady RC
    2008 Bowman Chrome Kershaw Orange
    2008 Bowman Chrome Kershaw XFractor x 2
    2008 Bowman Chrome Kershaw Refractor Auto

I am fairly sure the values are worth it ;)