Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

A general inquiry to how you fellow collectors would handle this eBay situation. Thanks for any help

So I bought a nice non expensive lot oof 9 cards on eBay for under $15. So I was happy as I was improving some older set needs. So I go thru the cards and quickly noticed that one of the cards is not what I placed a bid on. With that said the card I was sent was the same player but just a Jersey and not the 3 color number gold that I had bid on. So with that said I contacted the seller and sent a scan of the card to show him what I received. Just a note it a bad scan and the card is indeed one color and not a gold but a silver. Just quickly snapped that to show the seller it was a mixup.

He quickly replies and says my mistake. Ask me to send the card back and he will send the correct card. So my question is this how would you try to handle this situation looking at it from both points of view mine as a buyer and his as a seller. Just to mention this seller is a flawless feedback in the last year so hate to leave a negative as well. Just looking at thoughts from others before I decide on how to handle it.

DON
    Last edited by doniceage; 03-02-2019 at 04:07 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Chicago Cubs Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @@BartenderRon47 COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Myself, I'd hold off on feedback until you get what you paid for. I'd also see if he's willing to ship the Gold BEFORE you return the silver.
    Always looking for Senators cards! Must be a draft pick, or the card is identifiable as a Senators card before I want it!
    Until further notice, I ship on Mondays. Only day off, so only chance to get to the Post Office.
    Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I had something similar happen recently. As it happens the incorrect card I received is one I also like so I bought it too. Seller is now in process of sending me the correct card. Win-win.

In your case the usual procedure is to send back, he sends the proper one, all’s well that ends well.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think what he's offered is fine... but I hope he's picking up the tab on return shipping.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised he doesnt just send the correct card, and tell you to keep the extra.... as the one in the pic I'm thinking would sell for only a buck or two anyway.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

I've had this happen once.

The guy also had perfect feedback, and took the blame. I had bought a Julius Thomas 2011 Leaf Ltd 1/1, and he sent me the Aqib Talib 2008 Leaf Ltd 1/1. Same card, just different player, & year. ( I know wrong sport, but this isn't really a Hockey question.)

& We had just signed Aqib.

He claimed it was just an honest mistake, and he just put the two cards in the wrong envelopes, and sent them both out. The other buyer had also contacted him, and we both sent them back, and at least I got the card I paid for.

About a week late, but in the end, there was really no harm. Yeah, I had to go down to the PO and send it at a cost of a couple of bucks, but he did throw in some other cards (I don't remember what exactly, but I was more than satisfied).

He made up for his error, so it was cool.

Hope your dealing with the same guy.....

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Myself, I'd hold off on feedback until you get what you paid for. I'd also see if he's willing to ship the Gold BEFORE you return the silver.

Thanks for the input.

I had something similar happen recently. As it happens the incorrect card I received is one I also like so I bought it too. Seller is now in process of sending me the correct card. Win-win.

In your case the usual procedure is to send back, he sends the proper one, all’s well that ends well.

I would not have any problem if the value was higher as Sean mentioned below the card he sent me did not sell and the one I purchased only sold for .99 cents lol. '

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think what he's offered is fine... but I hope he's picking up the tab on return shipping.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised he doesnt just send the correct card, and tell you to keep the extra.... as the one in the pic I'm thinking would sell for only a buck or two anyway.

Just to clarify as you said the card in the picture did not sell and the gold one of the same player I won for the .99 cent bid like I mentioned to Richard. The guy had great shipping for 2.00 plus .25 cents for extra cards. Hate to burn any future of buying from them in the future hence why I am asking for advice as I do not want to be the person that tries to get everything for free and lowball a already great deal.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I've had this happen once.

The guy also had perfect feedback, and took the blame. I had bought a Julius Thomas 2011 Leaf Ltd 1/1, and he sent me the Aqib Talib 2008 Leaf Ltd 1/1. Same card, just different player, & year. ( I know wrong sport, but this isn't really a Hockey question.)

& We had just signed Aqib.

He claimed it was just an honest mistake, and he just put the two cards in the wrong envelopes, and sent them both out. The other buyer had also contacted him, and we both sent them back, and at least I got the card I paid for.

About a week late, but in the end, there was really no harm. Yeah, I had to go down to the PO and send it at a cost of a couple of bucks, but he did throw in some other cards (I don't remember what exactly, but I was more than satisfied).

He made up for his error, so it was cool.

Hope your dealing with the same guy.....

That totally cool that both of you contacted him and got the cards to the other folks as I know mistakes do happen. Of course I assume you paid more than a one dollar for a nice one of one card you wanted. Thanks for sharing gonna send him a message via eBay offering a solution.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

I bet he goes the extra mile to earn your continued business.

It not like he wants to give the PO an extra buck anymore then you do. A decent, honest guy will do what it takes to make you happy, and brush it off as the cost of doing business, and if not, than regardless of his deals, he's not someone you wanna keep buying from anyway, is he?

I would ask you one question. Has he left you feedback? Is he one of those sellers who recognizes you did your part, and leaves positive feedback before he even sends the card? Or is he one who only leaves feedback once/only positive
    is first received?

A quick check of his feedback should tell you how he will respond. The first example will go the extra mile and his feedback will reflect that. The other, well, I doubt I need to tell you, lol. Certainly you've read more horror stories here over the years than I have.

Again, hoping you get the first kind.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It seems like the situation is generally going down the correct path. I think it's a $15 deal so cooler heads can prevail. It was an honest mistake and the seller seems to be handling it correctly. There's really 2 main concerns. Do you pay for shipping and do you get your card first before sending back. As a seller myself, there's really no decision........let you keep the card and send the replacement. The shipping for replacement is going to cost you regardless and you don't have to pay for return shipping on wrong card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast