Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

New old guy from Oklahoma

This is going to be a long introduction; I want to be upfront about what brought me here. Although I am new here, I am no stranger to hobby forums and hopefully will be able to fit in fairly quickly.

Hello from frigid central Oklahoma (wind chill is -4 as of this writing). My name is Jay and I am not what you would really call a sports card collector. Although I did collect a few baseball and football cards back in the early 70s, I usually spent my paper route, pop bottle deposit, and lawn mowing money on comic books. I have always liked reading and got more joy from comic books then the cards. I was raised in central Oklahoma but in the mid-70s, I started spending summers on my grandparent’s farm in Georgia.

One summer while I was on the farm a neighbor lady back in Oklahoma gave my mother a box of baseball and football cards to give to me when I returned. When I looked over the cards I was amazed at how many there were and that they were from the 60s with a few from the late 50s. After going through them a few times, I put them away in the top of my closet and forgot about them.
    Many years later when my oldest son started to read, I went by my mom’s house to pick up my comic book collection of about 200 books. My mom informed me that she gave them to my nephew! I never did see them again, he had no idea where they were and his mom, my sister, could not be bothered to look. While I was at my mom’s, I thankfully remembered to get my baseball cards. When I got them home, back they went into the top of the closet where they sat until a few weeks ago.

Back when I was furloughed Federal employee, I got them down and started going through them. Since my profession is in Information Technology, I naturally decided to catalog them on my computer. I was able to create a spreadsheet, populate it with yearly card list from a site that certifies cards and then enter in my card counts. I went to all this trouble because I am considering selling the collections (baseball & football). After I do my research and make certain I understand the policies and processes of this site I will probably list the football cards first. They are in pretty rough shape, many of the football cards were taped together at one time with ether scotch or masking tape. Thankfully, the tape was usually on the back only, the fronts of the cards are not too bad. I have a total of about 600 football cards from 1966 through 1969. The 66, 68 and 69s are Topps, 1967s are PCGC.

Note: None of the baseball cards were ever taped together and are not damaged in that manner. Unfortunately are few have pencil, pen, or eraser marks. All of the cards have all been handled and most of them have corners and/or edges that show at least a little wear. I have no idea how to properly grade cards but my guess is, of the Baseball cards I have about 5% that might be 8s, 10% that might be 7s, 30% at 6, 40% at 5 and the rest lower. The Football cards may have a few 6s but are mostly 5s or lower. One thing I guarantee, my cards are all original and unaltered. They have been in ether my mom’s or my closet since 1974.

That is my story, if you are still with me at this point you are a patient individual and I look forward to getting to know you.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Welcome to SCF and I too have some cards from my Mom that said she had thrown away but has them and they are roguhed up and had some cards I used on my bike spokes. Make sure to check the site out. There are some Comic collectors here. I am always looking for Silver Surfer comics!
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Welcome to SCF

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

Welcome to SCF Jay, hope you are enjoying yourself here! If you would take pictures and upload them to a website like Flickr.com, that would let people check out your collection and potentially purchase some of the cards off of you.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Welcome to the site and great story!
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    BO (71)
    Country

My Mom definitely played a big part in my collecting too! Hope the site goes well for you!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees New York Giants New York Rangers

Jay- Welcome to SCF!
    Always Looking for:

A) Graded Vintage (Pre-1980) (BGS, BVG, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    B) Graded True RC's (No inserts or parallels) (BGS, PSA, SGC) in all sports
    C) Certified Auto and GU cards of players from the 70's and further back in all sports