If you don’t want to spend the next 5 minutes of your lifelistening to a middle-aged man complain about something pointless within hishobby, read no further. If you’ve got 5 minutes to burn, keep reading.
My wife doesn’tcare to listen to me so I figured that typing it out will take the edge off. Recently I’ve been trying to upgrade some ofmy 60’s-70’s sets with some PSA cards. Like the top 10-15 most valuable in theset. It’s more of a side project and don’t expect to finish it for quite sometime. Really, it’s just something to have fun with while trying to capitalizeon good deals as they arise with auctions on Ebay. Over the last few months, I’vecome across some things with the search that are getting under my skin a bit.So I’ve come here to ask you all if I should just relax a bit or if there’ssome substance to these things. I know it’s all for fun and relaxing is alwaysthe correct choice. Mainly I’m wondering what you guys tell yourselves when yousee these things.
First is for theold listing for PSA(let’s say 8)……..listing will read as follows:
PSA Graded 1977 NolanRyan #650 Should Be PSA 9!!!!!!!
OK, it’s a PSA 8.It was a PSA 8 yesterday, a PSA 8 today and will still be a PSA 8 tomorrow. It isand will always be that grade unless you crack it and send it to be regraded.And even then it will more than likely (always) come back an 8 again. The pricedifference between an 8 & 9 Ryan is about $250. Well worth the price to beregraded. So have it regraded Mr. Seller and let me know when you relist it. Ormaybe I should buy it and capitalize on the opportunity myself? JK, I know they’rejust trying to spice it up a little bit. It just irks me and I know that Ishould be a better man. Sue me.
Along the samelines are the PSA listings with the “Beautiful card should have graded higher”notations. So sure, the seller is just trying to be honest and keep us informedof such a special opportunity. Here is a nice chance to pick up an under-gradedcard at a discount. Thank you. If you’retrying to help me out so much, why don’t you let me know when the cards areover-graded? I would really appreciate thehelp in order to avoid overspending on a PSA 9 when it’s really an 8.
Last but not least is the dreaded listing with“PSA?” sticking out at the end. What does that even mean? Sure, cooler headswould say that the cards are so sweet that they should be graded. And yes, thatRyan card might even grade a 9. But stop clogging up my PSA graded search withyour non-graded cards.
Just onetime I want to pick up a PSA 9 that should have graded an 8 that I can purchasefor the price of an 8. Why isn’t that mentioned in any descriptions? I’ll tellyou why. If it’s a 9 then it’s a 9, if it’s an 8 it’s an 8, and if it’sungraded it’s ungraded. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe there’s a market out there forpeople eyeballing slabbed cards that they know will grade higher. If there isthen I tip my cap.