Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know what it is with SPGU stuff.. I keep on getting bargains. Last week it was the Messier 2/11 and this week it's this bad boy:

I won this card for $14.99 about an hour ago and I was the only bidder. As a Hawks fan to say that I'm satisfied would be an understatement - I'm thrilled. That is such a beautiful card, and the fact that it's x/9 really has me excited.. This one is obviously going into my PC.

I will say, since I got back into collecting 2 years ago, this SPGU stuff has been my favorite - or more specifically the SPGU base cards. I really do love how this set is basically "backwards" where the base cards are the rare ones and the jerseys and autographs are more common..

Last week I did see a 15/16 SPGU Bobby Orr /7 and the seller had $74.99 on it I believe but I passed on it because I wasn't comfortable shelling out $75 for the card but in hindsight I wish I had, because I highly doubt I will see another one anytime soon... And that's another thing when it comes to these SSP SPGU cards - if the print run is under 20 or so you really have to jump on the opportunity..

At any rate, I believe SPGU is profoundly underrated - at least the base cards and I will continue to buy these cards until their values start reflecting their rarity... I will say tho that many collectors are starting to catch on and are listing these cards at high Beckett, however many don't, many toss these cards on ebay at ridiculously low starting bids and they get no traction because everyone is looking for the auto's, jerseys and other subset cards, but I will take advantage of that continue to buy these things up...

But yea I'm absolutely thrilled about this buy, and hopefully I can find that Orr or any other SP GU base cards of HOF'ers or players /25 or so

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't know what it is with SPGU stuff.. I keep on getting bargains. Last week it was the Messier 2/11 and this week it's this bad boy:

I won this card for $14.99 about an hour ago and I was the only bidder. As a Hawks fan to say that I'm satisfied would be an understatement - I'm thrilled. That is such a beautiful card, and the fact that it's x/9 really has me excited.. This one is obviously going into my PC.

I will say, since I got back into collecting 2 years ago, this SPGU stuff has been my favorite - or more specifically the SPGU base cards. I really do love how this set is basically "backwards" where the base cards are the rare ones and the jerseys and autographs are more common..

Last week I did see a 15/16 SPGU Bobby Orr /7 and the seller had $74.99 on it I believe but I passed on it because I wasn't comfortable shelling out $75 for the card but in hindsight I wish I had, because I highly doubt I will see another one anytime soon... And that's another thing when it comes to these SSP SPGU cards - if the print run is under 20 or so you really have to jump on the opportunity..

At any rate, I believe SPGU is profoundly underrated - at least the base cards and I will continue to buy these cards until their values start reflecting their rarity... I will say tho that many collectors are starting to catch on and are listing these cards at high Beckett, however many don't, many toss these cards on ebay at ridiculously low starting bids and they get no traction because everyone is looking for the auto's, jerseys and other subset cards, but I will take advantage of that continue to buy these things up...

But yea I'm absolutely thrilled about this buy, and hopefully I can find that Orr or any other SP GU base cards of HOF'ers or players /25 or so

I'm inclined to agree with you. SPGU's base set is a gem of a product that UD does every year. It's got a small, strong, following - but for some reason it's never hit that "must have" status.

Want to see something that makes ZERO sense to me, in regards to SPGU??

Context: The #ed to a player's jersey for the bast set is relatively new. In Crosby's RC year (05-06) the RCs are all out of /999. There's also some years where they were tiered... like Tavares.

Now, can anyone explain this to me:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/JOHN-TAVARES...8AAOSwefZcn-S1

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2009-10-Sp-G...EAAOSw0HhbVPud

First one is a Tavares YG (raw) that sold for $150 CND. Second one is a (graded 9.5) SPGU Tavares RC /99 - that couldn't get a single bid at $150 USD.

One of these RCs has 99 copies, one of them has about 25,000 - but seems the value is about the same.

I don't get why SPGU Rookie Cards are not more popular.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm inclined to agree with you. SPGU's base set is a gem of a product that UD does every year. It's got a small, strong, following - but for some reason it's never hit that "must have" status.

Want to see something that makes ZERO sense to me, in regards to SPGU??

Context: The #ed to a player's jersey for the bast set is relatively new. In Crosby's RC year (05-06) the RCs are all out of /999. There's also some years where they were tiered... like Tavares.

Now, can anyone explain this to me:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/JOHN-TAVARES-YOUNG-GUNS-ROOKIE/323759690787?hash=item4b6194d423:g:g88AAOSwefZcn-S1

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2009-10-Sp-Game-Used-John-Tavares-Rc-Rookie-BGS-9-5-w-10-36-99/254176274642?hash=item3b2e1628d2:g:mrEAAOSw0HhbVPu d

First one is a Tavares YG (raw) that sold for $150 CND. Second one is a (graded 9.5) SPGU Tavares RC /99 - that couldn't get a single bid at $150 USD.

One of these RCs has 99 copies, one of them has about 25,000 - but seems the value is about the same.

I don't get why SPGU Rookie Cards are not more popular.

Well, mind you I have only been back into the hobby for 2 years now - and I'm just starting now to understand what appeals to collectors and a lot of sets make no sense to me .... "The Cup" baffles me, and so do other issues .. .. But Young Guns blow my mind.... Man I could write about how sporadic the hobby is .... I just won a bunch of awesome cards this evening on ebay - and they're really cool cars - vintage all the way up to SPGU stuff so.. Yea I will be posting some of that shortly..

So yea I will get into a little bit of that in ny "bargain steals" thread, lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is a sweet card.. Centering is beautiful.. And this card does have a centering issue..The back is just as nice.... No printing imperfections ...This is a PSA 9 ,, IMO, could be a PSA 9.5.. The card is pack fresh..Only issue holding the card back is the "fuzzy" edges..... I have a 1,00's of vintage cards and they all lack color, printing imperfections and physical abuse .. This card has none of that......I want to have it slabbed but I'm concerned about the edges - it's pack fresh after all these years.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12