Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

eBay selling questions.

Hello to all,

Setting up my first listings to sell individual cards and complete factory sealed sets on eBay. First areas I’ve gotten stuck are “Pricing” and “Shipping”.

As of pricing, eBay recommends for both individual cards & complete sets “7-day auction starting at $0.99” rather than “Buy It Now”, but I don’t see a recommendation for or how to set an auction reserve price.

As for shipping, eBay’s recommendations are as follows:

Individual cards:
    It’s a bit confusing because they recommend different price ranges for different cards that are the same weight & size. “USPS First Class Package, Package weight is 0 lbs 3 oz., 7.0 X 4.0 X 7.0 in., 2 - 3 business days. Buyer pays between $3.66 and $4.06, Varies by distance.” AND “between $5.19 and $5.66, Varied by distance.”

Complete sets:
    They offer the following options...

USPS Priority Mail
    1 - 3 business days
    $8.75 - $22.05

FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery
    1 - 5 business days
    $9.77 - $79.53

UPS Ground
    1 - 5 business days
    $10.26 - $90.94

USPS Parcel Select Ground
    2 - 9 business days
    $7.61 - $17.26

FedEx SmartPost
    2 - 8 business days
    $9.77 - $30.31

USPS Retail Ground
    2 - 9 business days
    $8.75 - $19.70

USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope
    1 - 3 business days
    $7.35

Experienced eBay sellers, I’d greatly appreciate your feedback on these, recommendations & options plus whether or not you’d accept returns and offer local pickup, as well as any other tips you have to make the most from my listings and how to avoid getting ripped off.
    Last edited by RockBrothers; 04-11-2019 at 10:56 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

@seal006 @Taliasen @sjw241 @FrenchConnection

4 people that I can think off the top of my head that can provide insight

when I was selling, I typically baked the shipping costs into the price of the item, made life easier for me, but that was a couple years back. I only offered to ship via USPS unless it was discussed between myself the potential buyer.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (59)
    Country
    Houston Astros Dallas Stars
    See allgood.collectibles's Items on eBay

For single cards I have always used USPS First Class. I only charge $3 shipping, no matter how many singles one buyer purchases. I can do this because I have gotten a lot of my shipping supplies in bulk so my cost per bubble mailer is not very much. When I first started out I reused bubble mailers I got when I purchase items on eBay. Make sure singles are in toploaders and use a piece of cardboard behind the toploader to ensure it is rigid and will not bend. I can put about 5 or 6 toploaders aonlg with the piece of cardboard cut to the same size as the toploaders inside one of the resealable bags used for graded cards. I no longer sell sets as it is not very cost effective anymore, but when I did USPS Priority mail worked best. You need to be sure that the sets are tightly boxed inside set boxes to avoid movement of cards and to place that box inside of a larger box with bubble wrap and/or packing peanuts. Double check the USPS site to get the amount postage will cost for how much the set weighs. I typically charged about $2 more than it stated to cover things like bubble wrap, peanuts, tape, and boxes. As far as pricing on eBay, I like the Buy It Now option, because it will stay on there until it sells or you remove the item. Auctions can be fun and rewarding if you have something that is HOT at the moment. Most things sell for low Beckett, some a little more, some a little less. You need to understand that competition is vast and all right at a buyers finger tips. If you do not go in with the expectation of striking it rich, you will be just fine. You are welcome to checkout some of my listings to give you an idea https://www.ebay.com/str/allgoodmgmt

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

I m in Canada and things are different for us. Its the same cost no matter where the package is going in Canada if its a single card, or the package fits a certain criteria. I cant offer much on pricing as I am not in USA. But I fond selling sets to be a lot tougher and not much money to be made. Unless the set in the newest and greatest set most people that want them already have them or wont pay much for them. The shipping often times costs more than the set can be bought for at a show or a card shop. If you do sell sets do what seal006 mentions and double box the set. Also make sure the cards are tight in the first box.
    As for selling singles, unless the card doesn't sell for much usually I would list them as buy it now with the best offer option. Research the card you have by checking sold listings on ebay to see what kind of prices there are getting. Price the item accordingly. Also check how many of that card are currently listed on ebay. If there are hundreds of them you have to do something to set yourself apart from the others. I have nearly 15,000 feedback and that really helps. So if you are just starting out run auctions for smaller value cards to help build your feedback rating. Try to list consistently so people start following your listing weekly or daily or how ever often you want to do it.
    As far as accepting returns, you don't have much choice anymore in the new age of ebay and paypal. They will force you to either take the item back or refund the money if the buyer isn't happy.
    I don't do local pick-ups because it generally causes me more time and effort. I go to the post office every day anyways so I would rather just mail everything out. Sitting around waiting for people to come is not my cup of tea, but could work for you. If you choose to allow local pick up I wouldn't have the people come to your house, Meet at a public location for safety.
    If you have any further questions I am happy to help. Just PM me.
    Collecting Ryan Murphy. Always looking to add PC Cards. Show me what you have to trade or sell!

SCF Rewards
    Country

@seal006 @Taliasen @sjw241 @FrenchConnection

4 people that I can think off the top of my head that can provide insight

when I was selling, I typically baked the shipping costs into the price of the item, made life easier for me, but that was a couple years back. I only offered to ship via USPS unless it was discussed between myself the potential buyer.

Thanks!

How did you know how much shipping to bake in if you didn’t know where you were shipping to, until sold?

SCF Rewards
    Country

For single cards I have always used USPS First Class. I only charge $3 shipping, no matter how many singles one buyer purchases. I can do this because I have gotten a lot of my shipping supplies in bulk so my cost per bubble mailer is not very much. When I first started out I reused bubble mailers I got when I purchase items on eBay. Make sure singles are in toploaders and use a piece of cardboard behind the toploader to ensure it is rigid and will not bend. I can put about 5 or 6 toploaders aonlg with the piece of cardboard cut to the same size as the toploaders inside one of the resealable bags used for graded cards. I no longer sell sets as it is not very cost effective anymore, but when I did USPS Priority mail worked best. You need to be sure that the sets are tightly boxed inside set boxes to avoid movement of cards and to place that box inside of a larger box with bubble wrap and/or packing peanuts. Double check the USPS site to get the amount postage will cost for how much the set weighs. I typically charged about $2 more than it stated to cover things like bubble wrap, peanuts, tape, and boxes. As far as pricing on eBay, I like the Buy It Now option, because it will stay on there until it sells or you remove the item. Auctions can be fun and rewarding if you have something that is HOT at the moment. Most things sell for low Beckett, some a little more, some a little less. You need to understand that competition is vast and all right at a buyers finger tips. If you do not go in with the expectation of striking it rich, you will be just fine. You are welcome to checkout some of my listings to give you an idea https://www.ebay.com/str/allgoodmgmt

Thanks!

As for shipping supplies, thankfully I have saved some bubble mailers from other purchases. I watched some videos that recommend putting singles in penny sleeves, then top loaders, then team bags and sandwich between 2 pieces of cardboard with tape on 4 sides. That said, where do you get shipping supplies in bulk?

USPS Priority mailing for sets, got it...The sets I’m listing are factory sealed so boxed nice and tight. Yeah, not looking to strike it rich, just do the best I can with what I’ve got. I don’t really have anything that’s “HOT” at the moment, so it sounds like BIN is the way I should go.

Appreciate the info and link to your listings!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (59)
    Country
    Houston Astros Dallas Stars
    See allgood.collectibles's Items on eBay

Thanks!

As for shipping supplies, thankfully I have saved some bubble mailers from other purchases. I watched some videos that recommend putting singles in penny sleeves, then top loaders, then team bags and sandwich between 2 pieces of cardboard with tape on 4 sides. That said, where do you get shipping supplies in bulk?

USPS Priority mailing for sets, got it...The sets I’m listing are factory sealed so boxed nice and tight. Yeah, not looking to strike it rich, just do the best I can with what I’ve got. I don’t really have anything that’s “HOT” at the moment, so it sounds like BIN is the way I should go.

Appreciate the info and link to your listings!

Look on eBay itself for cheap shipping supplies

SCF Rewards
    Country

I m in Canada and things are different for us. Its the same cost no matter where the package is going in Canada if its a single card, or the package fits a certain criteria. I cant offer much on pricing as I am not in USA. But I fond selling sets to be a lot tougher and not much money to be made. Unless the set in the newest and greatest set most people that want them already have them or wont pay much for them. The shipping often times costs more than the set can be bought for at a show or a card shop. If you do sell sets do what seal006 mentions and double box the set. Also make sure the cards are tight in the first box.
    As for selling singles, unless the card doesn't sell for much usually I would list them as buy it now with the best offer option. Research the card you have by checking sold listings on ebay to see what kind of prices there are getting. Price the item accordingly. Also check how many of that card are currently listed on ebay. If there are hundreds of them you have to do something to set yourself apart from the others. I have nearly 15,000 feedback and that really helps. So if you are just starting out run auctions for smaller value cards to help build your feedback rating. Try to list consistently so people start following your listing weekly or daily or how ever often you want to do it.
    As far as accepting returns, you don't have much choice anymore in the new age of ebay and paypal. They will force you to either take the item back or refund the money if the buyer isn't happy.
    I don't do local pick-ups because it generally causes me more time and effort. I go to the post office every day anyways so I would rather just mail everything out. Sitting around waiting for people to come is not my cup of tea, but could work for you. If you choose to allow local pick up I wouldn't have the people come to your house, Meet at a public location for safety.
    If you have any further questions I am happy to help. Just PM me.

Thanks!

Yeah, I figured shipping on sets wouldn’t be very cost effective. As for singles, Great tips on researching card I’m selling and doing something to set myself apart but a bit confused about how much is considered not selling for much to use BIN and what’s considered smaller value cards to start running auctions with, to help build my feedback ratings.

Forced to take item back or refund, got it...I changed listings to accept returns within 14 days. I agree about local pickup; been selling non-sports card stufff on Craigslist for awhile and don’t like it much for all the reasons you mentioned.

Appreciate the info and offer to help via PM!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Tigers Detroit Red Wings Detroit Lions

I am FAR from an experienced eBay power seller, but I appreciate the mention. I usually sell single cards, never sets, only bulk a couple of times. I always reuse bubble mailers. I have bought some new ones in YEARS. I just sent one out the other day that was used at least TWICE before it got to me. I may be backward on this, but if the card is less than $25, I usually require the buyer to include $3.70 for USPS first class S/H. If the card sell for more that then I always offer free shipping. So like Scott above, I guess I back in the cost of shipping on more valuable cards.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Thanks!

How did you know how much shipping to bake in if you didn’t know where you were shipping to, until sold?

most of the items were not $1 or $2 inserts mind you but typically I would start my auctions at 2.99 or 3.99 with Free Shipping with the expectation that I would have people buying multiple items. So I was gauging $2.50 to $3 for shipping on any one item.

I would not do this on lower end items as they will probably not sell.

SK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast