Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

In Canada, Kawhi Leonard Is Rising To A Status Usually Reserved For Hockey Royalty

TORONTO -- As the Toronto Raptors go into Game 6 on Thursday needing one more win to advance to the conference finals, Kawhi Leonard's status in the NBA continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

Leonard is becoming a certified cult figure. Basketball fans knew he was good, but who knew he was this good? On Tuesday night in Toronto, he scored "only" 21 points and pulled down 13 rebounds as Toronto rocked the Philadelphia 76ers 125-89 to take a 3-2 series lead.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/curtisr.../#61d06702a99e

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

LOL No. In Toronto, maybe.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

He's gonna look great in LA next year with Lebron

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

He's gonna look great in LA next year with Lebron

It will be interesting to see where he shows up.

Don

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

LOL No. In Toronto, maybe.

Even then, not really.

The Raptors have done a really good job the last decade (or so) of making the franchise relevant in the Toronto sports scene. I would assume today there are FAR MORE people (in Toronto, and/or Ontario) who claim basketball as their favorite sport - than there was five years ago. This is particularly true among young people.

I live 100 KMs away from Toronto. I'm guessing if I asked the 30 other people in my office "who is Kawhi Leonard?": 4 of them would be able to say (with confidence) that he plays with the Raptors. Another four would likely think about it, and say (with little confidence) that it's the Raptors. The other 22: I'd expect them to look at me with a puzzled look, and literly have ZERO idea who he is.

On the other hand.... if I asked about John Tavares, Mitch Marner, or Auston Matthews, I bet 25+ would get it right (that they're Maple Leafs).

There is literally zero chance of a basketball player actually rising to the level of a hockey player in this area. The Raptors could keep Kawhi, and then make a trade for Lebron James... and win the NBA championship. There would still be a majority of sports fans in Ontario more focused on how the Leafs will address their backup goaltender, and fourth line.

It's not that Basketball doesn't have a strong following - it's the fact that most people's grandmothers (who don't actually watch sports) know if the Leafs are having a good year or bad year, and can probably name you a player or two. My father (for example) is almost 70. He doesn't watch a lot of sports - but he'll watch hockey when the playoffs are on. He would be able to name you a few current Maple Leaf players, despite never having been a Maple Leafs' fan. I would be shocked if he could name a single player that has ever played for the Raptors. Basketball has never reached that height in the public conscious. It might in 30 or 40 years though.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Leonard exorcises Raptor demons with historic Game 7 winner

https://www.tsn.ca/leonard-exorcises...nner-1.1304876

It is happening. Building up his case!

Don

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

@30ranfordfan

KAWHI LEONARD OFFERED FREE PENTHOUSE IF HE STAYS WITH RAPTORS

Toronto Raptors star forward Kawhi Leonard might have another incentive to stay in the Canadian hub once free agency opens.

Already the toast of Toronto with his Raptors two wins from the NBA Finals, Leonard has an offer he might not be able to refuse.

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/05/kawhi...-with-raptors/

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

So the Raptors are off the the NBA Finals.....

I was born in Toronto and live just outside the city, but seeing a major sports team in Toronto make a final is such an ...... odd feeling. :)
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

So the Raptors are off the the NBA Finals.....

I was born in Toronto and live just outside the city, but seeing a major sports team in Toronto make a final is such an ...... odd feeling. :)

It is all good for Raptor fans. Enjoy baby!

Don

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

@30ranfordfan

KAWHI LEONARD OFFERED FREE PENTHOUSE IF HE STAYS WITH RAPTORS

Toronto Raptors star forward Kawhi Leonard might have another incentive to stay in the Canadian hub once free agency opens.

Already the toast of Toronto with his Raptors two wins from the NBA Finals, Leonard has an offer he might not be able to refuse.

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/05/kawhi...-with-raptors/

Don't take my earlier comments wrong. If you're the type of sports fan that watches highlight shows, sportscentre, listen to sports talk radio.... Leonard, and the Raptors, are the biggest story in forever.

All I'm getting at is the fact that if even if the Raptors win the whole thing, there are large swaths of the population who wouldn't be able to name Leonard... while I think it's virtually impossible to find anyone that has never heard of Matthews or Tavares.

There is a great argument to be made that Leonard may actually be the best athlete (in regards to how good he is, in his sport) that has ever played in Toronto.

Hockey in Ontario (Canada) is part of the collective conscious. Basketball will never have that, no matter how good the players and/or team are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast