Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (98)
    Country
    See TGLGUY's Items on eBay

Shinies of the 90s 1998 Topps Gold Label BLACK parallels set complet (300 cards)

To all fellow collectors,

One of the things that saddens and disappoints me with pretty much all forums, is that even though several members reminisce and claim to long for “The shinies of the 90s”, very few threads are dedicated and/or even include cards from this wonderful era. As a result, trades or even purchases are many times few and far apart.

For my part, I really have stayed hooked on the late 90s parallels. Even though I have worked on various sets, it would be a fair statement to say that I have made the Topps Gold Label parallel sets, a life project. I personally collect both football and hockey.

Through time, several members of various forums have asked me if I had a web site or page, as they’d like to see some of the tougher sets that I had completed. As I’m not agile or knowledgeable with a computer, I had remained hesitant........, till now. I figured I may as well give this a shot. If I enjoy hearing and seeing the successes of other collectors from that era, I’m sure it’s the same for them.

After completing the three classes of what could be called: “The regular set”, I figured I may as well keep going. I have recently completed all three classes (1, 2 & 3) of the 1998 Topps Gold Label BLACK parallels. These 3 X 100 card sets were actually quite the challenge. If I’m not mistaken, the class 3 BLACK labels were inserted like 1 in 32 packs. In other words, even if you had a perfect mix (which is absolutely not the case, ever), you would need 3200 packs to complete the set! What also added to the challenge was that cards were not clearly identified as being a class1, 2 or 3. To differentiate them, you had to carefully look at the name script. Class 1 had the solid gold name script, class 2 had the silver holofoil and class 3 had the gold holofoil.

What next? I’m working on the class 1 RED (#’d /100) and class 2 RED (#’d /50) sets. I am currently only 4 cards short of the class 1 RED (I have 96 of 100) and 26 cards of the class 2 RED (I have 74 of 100). I realistically know that it might be a long shot for the class 2 RED set, but I know that I have a serious shot at the class 1 RED set

Now how about the class 3 RED set #’d /25? Well even though I do have a few, I know that this set is virtually impossible to complete........... at least for a guy like me, that has a budget to respect.

Hopefully some of you will enjoy looking at these sets. Perhaps the next time you go through an old shoebox and bump into RED label parallels that you had of a player you once collected and/or that you simply kept because it was “nice and shiny”, maybe you’ll think of me.

Best of luck in all your quests!

PS: If you are working on parallel sets from 1997 to 2001 in either football and/or hockey, I do have some from many different sets in my trade bait.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I really liked this set and the baseball one back in 1998 for some reason. It was a higher end set that I could afford and was available. I busted all the packs of it from Ames really hit nothing of value. Just a red #D/25 of Robert Brooks. I sold it on eBay awhile back and got decent money for it but the packs were pricey for the little value in them. I think Randy Moss was missing from the regular and maybe even Peyton Manning. Moss was left out of a few sets that year (early on) which was really odd especially for a well known company like Topps. Something like Pacific wouldn't have been too surprising if key rookies were missing.

BTW very nice scans that bring back a bunch of memories for me. Thanks for sharing.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (98)
    Country

Glad you enjoyed. One thing for sure, I sure had a good time putting the the set together. You are correct, even though Manning was part of this 100 st, Moss was not.

Dan

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

WOW!

Another great set!

Looking at these are as cool as the Panini Super Bowl set to me. I love this place!

And for me, this re-confirms your advice about the numbering on the back. After all that, you should know what you are talking about regarding these cards. And if you don't have one with a foil number, they didn't make em, lol.

I can't wait to see the Reds!

Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

One of my favorite shiny sets in both Baseball and Football. Thanks for sharing and bringing back memories!
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (98)
    Country

I hope to succeed in completing both class 1 sets. Only short six cards total!

WOW!

Another great set!

Looking at these are as cool as the Panini Super Bowl set to me. I love this place!

And for me, this re-confirms your advice about the numbering on the back. After all that, you should know what you are talking about regarding these cards. And if you don't have one with a foil number, they didn't make em, lol.

I can't wait to see the Reds!

Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (98)
    Country

Glad you enjoyed. I do have both 1998 & 1999 class 1 base sets in baseball. I didn't build those though, bought em on the Bay.

One of my favorite shiny sets in both Baseball and Football. Thanks for sharing and bringing back memories!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Eagles
    Twitter: @docsobolatin See Scobes's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Very nice sets - especially when placed all together. Congrats on the sets!

Scobes
    Hidden Content -- Hidden Content
    Baseball - Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Mark Sobolewski, Vintage, Set Needs & Phillies (in PHI uniform)
    Hockey - Valeri Kamensky, Chris Bala, Bob Kudelski, Patrick Rissmiller, & Autos/#ed/Base cards of Flyers (in PHI uniform)
    Football - 1950-60s Vintage & Eagles Autos Golf - Tiger Woods Basketball - 76ers Autos & Low-Numbered
    ABSOLUTELY NO INTERNATIONAL TRADING!!!