Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Panini autograph process

I'm new to the modern card collecting hobby and I'm trying to wrap my head around the process Panini uses when obtaining autographs and memorabilia from athletes.

My assumption is simple enough that they send cards and stickers for the athletes to sign, they sign them and then send them back.

Maybe I'm just skeptical, but what's to guarantee (as Panini "guarantees" signatures) that the athletes don't pay someone to sign the cards for them? Are we just going on their word? Just seems weird to me... Why not require a video to be submitted to Panini or have the player sign them in the presence of an employee of Panini?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Topps does require them to be in the presence of an employee. Don't know about Upper Deck but Panini does do it the way you described and they have gotten into problems before with guys not signing the card. Shaq in basketball and Dak Prescott in football immediately come to my mind as having "fake" Panini autographs recently. There is even some talk over in the basketball section that the hottest NBA rookie this year was having his cards signed by his mom.

The reason they do it is because it is way cheaper and because they can get autographs of guys that travel and have very busy schedules.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Topps does require them to be in the presence of an employee. Don't know about Upper Deck but Panini does do it the way you described and they have gotten into problems before with guys not signing the card. Shaq in basketball and Dak Prescott in football immediately come to my mind as having "fake" Panini autographs recently. There is even some talk over in the basketball section that the hottest NBA rookie this year was having his cards signed by his mom.

The reason they do it is because it is way cheaper and because they can get autographs of guys that travel and have very busy schedules.

It just seems that kind of stuff will always be found out by collectors. If you have your mom sign all your autos eventually someone will compare it to a real auto and you're potentially on the hook for fraud. Oh well, just something I was wondering about.

Just seems like they could do better considering how much some of those cards are worth. Thank you for the response.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Dak Prescott and dez bryant....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

The whole idea of getting players to autograph sheets of stickers, rather than CARDS, was the single worst thing that's ever happened to our hobby.

Half the players cannot stay on the sticker. Autos suddenly change, often drastically. And lastly players are getting busted getting "help" keeping up with the thousands of autographs they have to provide.

And to think when I got my fist sticker auto, I was mostly concerned with it peeling off sometime in the future. haha

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

I'm okay with sticker autographs of companies can lessen the obvious nature of them. 2010 Finest is a great example of this.

But yes Panini's boilerplate info is not as good as Topps. If collectors can't trust a single source vendor (Panini) then it's going to look bad for the NFLPA.