Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I would have a better question tho..... If you had an actual 1/1 card that had significant value personally autographed would that add value to the card or actually decrease the value of the card?

Great question. I would say it depends on the collector and how bad they want it.

A lot of player collectors think 1/1's as "bonus" cards, so I think an autographed copy of a 1/1 may make a lot of collectors run for the hills, chalk it up as a 1/1 card they'll refuse to own, and call it a day. But for others, I suppose they wouldn't mind and pay whatever they are going to pay to own the card in the first place.

If it were me, while I would obviously prefer the original 1/1 non-autographed card to stay that way, I think I would pick it up if the price is right and add it to the PC anyway. I personally like IP/TTM autographed cards and add them to my collection when I can. I think it it adds to the design of the card I don't think I would mind much depending on the "finished product" in this case.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great question. I would say it depends on the collector and how bad they want it.

A lot of player collectors think 1/1's as "bonus" cards, so I think an autographed copy of a 1/1 may make a lot of collectors run for the hills, chalk it up as a 1/1 card they'll refuse to own, and call it a day. But for others, I suppose they wouldn't mind and pay whatever they are going to pay to own the card in the first place.

If it were me, while I would obviously prefer the original 1/1 non-autographed card to stay that way, I think I would pick it up if the price is right and add it to the PC anyway. I personally like IP/TTM autographed cards and add them to my collection when I can. I think it it adds to the design of the card I don't think I would mind much depending on the "finished product" in this case.

I agree... I have some ITG/Vault 1/1 cards of some Chicago Blackhawks like Roenick and they're not going anywhere but I don't know - I would get a couple of them autographed ... I mean the only value they hold is to me and my PC so it's not like I would sell them..... But I would never even attempt such a thing with say Connor McDavid or something that I could potentially flip down the road because it's not what collectors want with a 1/1 card and if they want to get the card autographed then - let them do it, lol...

In my opinion, if you have a limited numbered card and it's not autographed and your intent is to use it as a trader or maybe flip it down the road - getting the card autographed would be just a bad idea... Unless it's a less significant player like say for example Jeff Carter .... I think I have a /50 Carter SP GU patch - now there would be nothing wrong with getting that card autographed , and honestly I think if I did it would actually add value...

But I do have a funny idea of buying a cheap SPGU Draft Day Marks/Letter Marks that has already been autographed and getting it autographed again..... Just to see what happens, would the player sign the card again and would it sell for more? lol...

But yea, I know I have only been back in the hobby for a few years now BUT back in the day this was a highly debated topic - weather or not an autograph decreases or increases a cards value and my position has always has been - if it's an iconic card - you're damaging the card and basically just getting an autograph, but if it's say a common card or only worth a couple of bucks then you're improving it's value.

I guess my conclusion has always been - is the players autograph worth more than the card itself - if so then have him sign it - if not - don't even think about it...

I mean I'm sure if you have a really beat up Jordan rookie card then by all means have him autograph it because I think that would add tremendous value to the card - but if you have a nice sharp, say PSA 4+ dont even think about it, lol..... And of course I'm just using Jordan as an example - we can apply the same rules to a Gretzky rookie if that makes more sense since this is a hockey forum.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I would have a better question tho..... If you had an actual 1/1 card that had significant value personally autographed would that add value to the card or actually decrease the value of the card?

That's a tough one..... and the answer comes down to: Who wants the card?

There was a LONG time when people would tell you that you should not get valuable cards signed. If you're getting a card signed by Gretzky, for example, don't have him sign his RC.

For RCs, in particular, that's really not true. Get that slabbed, and authenticated afterwards, and it's actually much more valuable.

Having said all of that: The moment you get an athlete to sign a card IP, you're changing the nature of the card. You're changing the market for it. If I'm trying to finish off a set of 2005-06 Upper Deck - a signed Crosby YG is useless to me. To someone else? Not useless at all. You've changed your target audience, and your new audience is a smaller one. You can expect a premium though.

It's why most of the IP / TTM autos you see are done on cheap cards..... plus low gloss cards make for nicer signatures.

Anyway, onto the 1/1. I don't see it increasing the value.... and probably it decreases it. Who is buying the card? Player Collectors, Team Collectors, Set Builders, "I like nice cards and this is one" collectors, or "it's a good deal, and I'll flip it later" types.

Team Collectors are (mostly) soooo broad in what they collect, the card probably wasn't up their ally anyway.

For a set builder? You just altered the card. They will probably still want it, but will be upset that it's been signed... and pay less.

Player Collectors? Most of us have dozens, even hundreds of autographs of our favorite player. I know if it was me - my offer on a card like that would go down.

Flip it later people? They know it's going to be tougher to move. Probably don't even look at it. "I like nice cards!" Well, if there was something really unique about the card - maybe they'd want to go for it.... but I don't see much of a premium.

Having said all of that: It's hypothetically your card. If you want it signed, and it's a more special piece in your own collection - I would say go for it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's a tough one..... and the answer comes down to: Who wants the card?

There was a LONG time when people would tell you that you should not get valuable cards signed. If you're getting a card signed by Gretzky, for example, don't have him sign his RC.

For RCs, in particular, that's really not true. Get that slabbed, and authenticated afterwards, and it's actually much more valuable.

Having said all of that: The moment you get an athlete to sign a card IP, you're changing the nature of the card. You're changing the market for it. If I'm trying to finish off a set of 2005-06 Upper Deck - a signed Crosby YG is useless to me. To someone else? Not useless at all. You've changed your target audience, and your new audience is a smaller one. You can expect a premium though.

It's why most of the IP / TTM autos you see are done on cheap cards..... plus low gloss cards make for nicer signatures.

Anyway, onto the 1/1. I don't see it increasing the value.... and probably it decreases it. Who is buying the card? Player Collectors, Team Collectors, Set Builders, "I like nice cards and this is one" collectors, or "it's a good deal, and I'll flip it later" types.

Team Collectors are (mostly) soooo broad in what they collect, the card probably wasn't up their ally anyway.

For a set builder? You just altered the card. They will probably still want it, but will be upset that it's been signed... and pay less.

Player Collectors? Most of us have dozens, even hundreds of autographs of our favorite player. I know if it was me - my offer on a card like that would go down.

Flip it later people? They know it's going to be tougher to move. Probably don't even look at it. "I like nice cards!" Well, if there was something really unique about the card - maybe they'd want to go for it.... but I don't see much of a premium.

Having said all of that: It's hypothetically your card. If you want it signed, and it's a more special piece in your own collection - I would say go for it.

I think we're always on the same page, and I agree 100%...

For example, I was browsing ebay and came across a few cards today that really made me think about this discussion...

Actually, I should have bookmarked these auctions because they really define this thread.

I saw an auction earlier today on ebay for a 79-80 Wayne Gretzky Rookie (forgot if it was OPC or Topps) PSA "authentic autograph", the autograph was rated/graded an 8 I believe but the card on it's own would have MAYBE graded a 1 on it's own without the auto and this guy wanted (US) $799.99 for this card..

And my thought on that card was - if the card wasn't autographed it STILL would have been in such terrible condition that it would have been graded as "authentic" (maybe rejected) if not for the autograph - it was in that bad shape - BUT it was autographed in pen so the autograph was graded 8..

Look on that card... I would have paid $50.00 shipped maybe..

Then I was looking at vintage Bobby Hull cards (I collect vintage Bobby Hull BTW, and buy them daily).... Then I found a Bobby Hull 58 Rookie autographed ... I think this bozo wanted the same price for the Gretzky RC..... This card was in MUCH better shape (VG), BUT Bobby Hull signs absolutely EVERYTHING and as far as I'm concerned whomever thought it was a good idea to have this card signed literally destroyed the value of this wonderful card......

Of course none of this means that autographs aren't valuable, but I think some collectors have items that just should not be autographed...

I mean I have a mint condition Victoriaville "M.F 40" Senior straight blade hockey stick from the late 50's or perhaps early 60's autographed by Bobby Hull (on the shaft) in my personal collection, and this thing was autographed sometime maybe before Bobby Hall even suited up for the Blackhawks, (and the provenance of this piece suggests he was with St. Catherine when it was signed - now THAT adds value... I mean the stick alone probably belongs in the HHOF - and you have fools getting cards and items autographed that weren't even meant to be autographed....

I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but I totally agree with you.... If you want to get some extremely desirable card autographed then buy a reprint for like a buck and get that card autographed - don't destroy 30-40 year old desirable cards........ NO good! lol....

I've been collecting a ton of vintage stuff lately (I've been going back to my roots as a kid) and I have absolutely no desire for autographs of living players (er all time greats) on modern cards ..If a collector really wants to get me enthused? show me an authenticated Terry Sawchuk on-card auto from the 60's (or pre-60's) and that will really get me excited, lol...

I guess my point is that if I'm adding to my PC I really appreciate authentic era pieces.... I mean I would love a Jacques Plante autographed card as well.....

I will say tho - I would really love a Ken Dryden autographed rookie card from his time with the Habs, pre-1973 the better.... I would actually adore an auto of this USSR/CAN subset card from 1972 autographed - from that period of time .

Sorry for getting off topic but ...I would suppose my "auto" want list is a bit more rarer than any 1/1 auto could ever be (excluding some awesome, awesome, awesome cards - which I have seen posted here on occasion)....
    Last edited by Savard18; 05-23-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Keep an eye on this one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1958-Topps-H...IAAOSweDFc3bQn

I promise you, it will sell for a lot more than a PSA 6 would sell for on its own.

When Bobby Orr signed at the Toronto Expo last year, I think the price for a signature was $200. That's assuming something like a card, 8x10, etc. Premium items cost more.... and if you specifically wanted him to sign a Rookie Card: That was $800.

I think we're always on the same page, and I agree 100%...

For example, I was browsing ebay and came across a few cards today that really made me think about this discussion...

Actually, I should have bookmarked these auctions because they really define this thread.

I saw an auction earlier today on ebay for a 79-80 Wayne Gretzky Rookie (forgot if it was OPC or Topps) PSA "authentic autograph", the autograph was rated/graded an 8 I believe but the card on it's own would have MAYBE graded a 1 on it's own without the auto and this guy wanted (US) $799.99 for this card..

And my thought on that card was - if the card wasn't autographed it STILL would have been in such terrible condition that it would have been graded as "authentic" (maybe rejected) if not for the autograph - it was in that bad shape - BUT it was autographed in pen so the autograph was graded 8..

Look on that card... I would have paid $50.00 shipped maybe..

Then I was looking at vintage Bobby Hull cards (I collect vintage Bobby Hull BTW, and buy them daily).... Then I found a Bobby Hull 58 Rookie autographed ... I think this bozo wanted the same price for the Gretzky RC..... This card was in MUCH better shape (VG), BUT Bobby Hull signs absolutely EVERYTHING and as far as I'm concerned whomever thought it was a good idea to have this card signed literally destroyed the value of this wonderful card......

Of course none of this means that autographs aren't valuable, but I think some collectors have items that just should not be autographed...

I mean I have a mint condition Victoriaville "M.F 40" Senior straight blade hockey stick from the late 50's or perhaps early 60's autographed by Bobby Hull (on the shaft) in my personal collection, and this thing was autographed sometime maybe before Bobby Hall even suited up for the Blackhawks, (and the provenance of this piece suggests he was with St. Catherine when it was signed - now THAT adds value... I mean the stick alone probably belongs in the HHOF - and you have fools getting cards and items autographed that weren't even meant to be autographed....

I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but I totally agree with you.... If you want to get some extremely desirable card autographed then buy a reprint for like a buck and get that card autographed - don't destroy 30-40 year old desirable cards........ NO good! lol....

I've been collecting a ton of vintage stuff lately (I've been going back to my roots as a kid) and I have absolutely no desire for autographs of living players (er all time greats) on modern cards ..If a collector really wants to get me enthused? show me an authenticated Terry Sawchuk on-card auto from the 60's (or pre-60's) and that will really get me excited, lol...

I guess my point is that if I'm adding to my PC I really appreciate authentic era pieces.... I mean I would love a Jacques Plante autographed card as well.....

I will say tho - I would really love a Ken Dryden autographed rookie card from his time with the Habs, pre-1973 the better.... I would actually adore an auto of this USSR/CAN subset card from 1972 autographed - from that period of time .

Sorry for getting off topic but ...I would suppose my "auto" want list is a bit more rarer than any 1/1 auto could ever be (excluding some awesome, awesome, awesome cards - which I have seen posted here on occasion)....

SCF Rewards
    Country

Keep an eye on this one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1958-Topps-Hockey-Bobby-Hull-ROOKIE-RC-PSA-DNA-8-AUTO-66-PSA-6-EXMT-PWCC/401768339686?hash=item5d8b4258e6:g:DUIAAOSweDFc3bQ n

I promise you, it will sell for a lot more than a PSA 6 would sell for on its own.

When Bobby Orr signed at the Toronto Expo last year, I think the price for a signature was $200. That's assuming something like a card, 8x10, etc. Premium items cost more.... and if you specifically wanted him to sign a Rookie Card: That was $800.

Check this one out, the auction is over but this was the card I was talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-TOPPS-...orig_cvip=true

The one you posted was signed in marker - that autograph is clearly more modern..

Most vintage autographs are signed in pen...

My stick is signed in pen.... It's old and that's why I love it.

But at far as the card you posted - in my opinion that card was ruined.... And it's sad because it otherwise looks like a very nice card, and if it wasn't autographed I would be bidding on that card... I think that card would be worth way more than that if if wasn't autographed.

You have to remember - Bobby Hull will sign absolutely ANYTHING you put in his face.... He loves to sign autographs.... Of course that's why I collect vintage Hull autographs and there are many ways to distinguish the era of a Bobby Hull autograph..... How he signs it, where he signs it and what he signs it with...

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Check this one out, the auction is over but this was the card I was talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-TOPPS-66-BOBBY-HULL-ROOKIE-AUTOGRAPH-GRADED-PSA-DNA-9-MINT-AMAZING-HOFer-/173904362667?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt= true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

The one you posted was signed in marker - that autograph is clearly more modern..

Most vintage autographs are signed in pen...

My stick is signed in pen.... It's old and that's why I love it.

But at far as the card you posted - in my opinion that card was ruined.... And it's sad because it otherwise looks like a very nice card, and if it wasn't autographed I would be bidding on that card... I think that card would be worth way more than that if if wasn't autographed.

You have to remember - Bobby Hull will sign absolutely ANYTHING you put in his face.... He loves to sign autographs.... Of course that's why I collect vintage Hull autographs and there are many ways to distinguish the era of a Bobby Hull autograph..... How he signs it, where he signs it and what he signs it with...

Personal preferences aside: The one I posted.... the card itself is in much nicer shape, and the autograph is done in blue sharpie... which most people greatly prefer over pen.

You're probably right: The Pen autograph was signed decades ago.... the marker could have been done last week.

As far as the "ruined" thing goes. Eye of the beholder, and that was my point earlier. You're a Hull fan, but that card doesn't fit what you'd like to collect... and that's okay.... so they've taken you (and collectors like you) away from the potential market. IMO, that doesn't make it fair to say the card is "ruined" though. It's been altered, and changed, and could be the exact collectible someone else is looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12