Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Am I an Evil Genius or Just Evil?

Would not do this myself, but just throwing out a hypothetical to see what people think.

Suppose there is a Gretzky card that is numbered to 10 copies and I posses all 10 copies.

If I destroy nine of the tem cards leaving me with the one and only copy in existence have I exponentially increased the value of that card?
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country

You're just evil. I'd say it wouldn't be effective. I suppose it would increase the value, but not exponentially and probably not X10 which you'd need to at least break even.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

You'd probably need evidence of a stunt like this, otherwise other collectors would think you're lying/joking if you were trying to convince them it's a 1/1 now. Plus it would be hard to get the word out about the other 9 copies not being availible anymore. If you showed people a Gretzky card /10, they would still think the other 9 are out there somewhere, so I don't think the value would explode or anything when trying to deal it in this hypothetical scenario.

It's not possible with Gretzky, but if someone were a player collector who were a completionist who really gunned for a large portion of said players cards, then I would be really mad haha that you've made a card into a "1/1". Super evil.

Don't joke about these crazy things haha
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I suppose it would increase the value, but not exponentially and probably not X10 which you'd need to at least break even.

This right here. You are never going to increase it enough to make up for the cards you lost destroying.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Would not do this myself, but just throwing out a hypothetical to see what people think.

Suppose there is a Gretzky card that is numbered to 10 copies and I posses all 10 copies.

If I destroy nine of the tem cards leaving me with the one and only copy in existence have I exponentially increased the value of that card?

I have thought about just that and guess what??? I'm getting close to completing this task...... Not sure if I have to destroy them but I do enjoy buying SP Game Used and I buy certain cards continually because my goal is to own a significant population of extremely rare SN cards...

But you know it's difficult to do this which is why I check ebay almost daily....

My goal is to own EVERY 15-16 SPGU Bobby Hull and this card is only limited to /9, and I have a Messier limited to /11 - and a ton of true base cards of active players (and a few rookies) that I buy if I can find them at a reasonable price....

I mean I have several 15-16 SPGU Patrick Kane's and they're obviously limited to /88.... I mean the more I buy of a particular card like that the rarer it becomes....

Besides tho, I wouldn't suggest destroying cards limited to /10 just to have a unique card.... Besides finding them all would be profoundly difficult because a lot of these limited cards are in PC's and few collectors would sell them for anything less than an arm or a leg or a pound of flesh, lol....

SCF Rewards
    Country

You're just evil. I'd say it wouldn't be effective. I suppose it would increase the value, but not exponentially and probably not X10 which you'd need to at least break even.

It wouldn't increase the value enough to justify such an action - that is certain...

Like I said in a previous post..... I have a 15/16 Bobby Hull SPGU base card #'ed 7/9.... There is another one of these cards on ebay and the dude wants $180.00 for it..... I'm not going to buy that card although I want it.... $50 would be a good price and I would do that, and I would be satisfied with having 2 of the 9 which would leave only 7 left, and if anyone knew I owned 2 of them they would jack their prices up, because now their are only 8.... So say I got them all, how much would it cost me to obtain that goal? I would suspect more than a 1/1.....

And the only way to prove that card was now a 1/1 would be to destroy the rest on youtube...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

It wouldn't increase the value enough to justify such an action - that is certain...

Like I said in a previous post..... I have a 15/16 Bobby Hull SPGU base card #'ed 7/9.... There is another one of these cards on ebay and the dude wants $180.00 for it..... I'm not going to buy that card although I want it.... $50 would be a good price and I would do that, and I would be satisfied with having 2 of the 9 which would leave only 7 left, and if anyone knew I owned 2 of them they would jack their prices up, because now their are only 8.... So say I got them all, how much would it cost me to obtain that goal? I would suspect more than a 1/1.....

And the only way to prove that card was now a 1/1 would be to destroy the rest on youtube...

Even if you destroy all copies but one, with video evidence, I still wouldn't consider it a 1/1 because the serial number states that there WAS more than one card in the print run. Despicable in my opinion.

This is not only evil, I consider it a cheap tactic to make money. Anyone with the gall to do this would lose credibility with me immediately.

On a related note, I hate when collectors do the following:

* Ask a premium for a card that has a serial number that matches a jersey number and call it a 1/1 (i.e. if you have a Patrick Kane card numbered 088/100).

* Ask a premium for a card that is the first card - or last card - in a print run (I've agreed to acquire a card this way ONE time, which was recently, but never again)

* Ask a premium for a card that is the first one ever graded.

I don't consider any of these to be a to be a 1/1. Baloney. These is simply methods to manufacture value for a card. The only true 1/1's in the world are those that are actually stamped as "1/1" or "1 of 1"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

In my opinion if you owned all 10 cards in a print run of 10 you could command any price for a copy if someone really wanted/needed it. So you wouldn't have to destroy any. Destroying them would be tough to prove and not profitable. However, if you could show someone you have all 10 you hold all the cards...... PUN intended.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

In my opinion if you owned all 10 cards in a print run of 10 you could command any price for a copy if someone really wanted/needed it. So you wouldn't have to destroy any. Destroying them would be tough to prove and not profitable. However, if you could show someone you have all 10 you hold all the cards...... PUN intended.

^^^^^

This is where I was going to go with the hypothetical too.....

Let's say your card is #ed /10, and you did get all 10 copies. Destroying 9 of them, making the last copy of the card the only one left... IMO, it does nothing to enhance the value. At least not much.

That card #ed 9/10 that you kept (or whatever number) isn't a 1/1. Nobody is going to treat it as one. What it does mean..... for anyone who was actually looking for that card.... they have zero option other than paying your price (well, the other option is don't get one).

If you bought all 10 cards for $50 each.... and would then only part with one of them for $300.... I don't think it matters if you destroyed 9 copies or not. Either someone is desperate enough to meet your asking price, or they are not.

Chances are - if you got 10 copies for a reasonable price.... there is literally nobody else who cares enough about the card to pay much of a mark up anyway.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Even if you destroy all copies but one, with video evidence, I still wouldn't consider it a 1/1 because the serial number states that there WAS more than one card in the print run. Despicable in my opinion.

This is not only evil, I consider it a cheap tactic to make money. Anyone with the gall to do this would lose credibility with me immediately.

On a related note, I hate when collectors do the following:

* Ask a premium for a card that has a serial number that matches a jersey number and call it a 1/1 (i.e. if you have a Patrick Kane card numbered 088/100).

* Ask a premium for a card that is the first card - or last card - in a print run (I've agreed to acquire a card this way ONE time, which was recently, but never again)

* Ask a premium for a card that is the first one ever graded.

I don't consider any of these to be a to be a 1/1. Baloney. These is simply methods to manufacture value for a card. The only true 1/1's in the world are those that are actually stamped as "1/1" or "1 of 1"

I agree, but we can both not like it but it doesn't change the notion that there are collectors out there that want for example that Chelios for example that is /99 and want the #7 or #24..... But what bugs me is that they call those cards 1/1 when they're absolutely not....I think in that situation it's more of a novelty than anything else...

I mean my Bobby Hull 7/9 using THEIR LOGIC is "technically" a 1/1 considering Bobby Hull did at one time in his early years wear #7... I don't look at it that way tho - I just see it as a very rare card and as a Hawks fan (and Bobby Hull collector) a really cool card to have in my PC.....

I would have a better question tho..... If you had an actual 1/1 card that had significant value personally autographed would that add value to the card or actually decrease the value of the card?

I mean there is a debate out there on weather or not an autograph increases the value of a card or decreases the value of a card based on it's rarity..... I suppose that's really a subjective idea and based on the collectors opinion really....... I know Mickey Mantle has been dead for 25 years but say you had a PSA 10 52 Topps Mantle, do you think that would add value to the card or decrease the value of the card??? I would absolutely say decrease the value of the card - because after all writing on a card diminishes it's value, and who cares who writes on it? ..... And that's why PSA merely grades autographed cards as "authentic" rather than giving the card a number grade...

I suppose my point is that - at least in my opinion - I think getting rare cards autographed is a really stupid thing to do.... If you want a players autograph then buy a card that was supposed to be autographed or get a "common" and have them autograph that.... Don't go getting gem mint Gretzky Rookies autographed....

As far as numbered cards go, I do collect particular cards from certain sets (SP GU, lol) and buy them up whenever I have the opportunity - because it's just fun.... Sure, the card could be /88 but how do you know if I have 50 of them??? .... And it's funny because on face value collectors will assume that there are /88 out there, so it's "meh" but in reality there are only 38 and nobody even knows that except for the collector with the 50....

But yea, I would never burn cards, well - I would have no issue burning late 80's and early 90's junkwax baseball - that crap is cheaper than a box of fire log starters, lol....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast