SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    Send PayPal to oxbowspark@gmail.com Member is PayPal Verified

Opinions on this Rickey Henderson RC...

There is currently only one other 1980 Topps card on eBay with a wrong back variation, so I'm not sure what's going on. I know this stuff is fairly common in some sets, but this is maybe THE definitive RC of the 80's. I've collected Rickey for decades now and never seen his RC with an error back like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickey-Hend...59.m1431.l2649

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have David Ortiz 1998 Topps rookie that is like that and I've pulled other common and semistars from the 1980s like that too so I'm willing to bet it is real. If they wanted to make it more valuable they would have made some wrong back with Nolan Ryan or else to grab more attention. Plus that title doesn't seem to indicate the error or hype up the value of the card. Just seems like a seller who doesn't know what he has to me.

Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics

I have David Ortiz 1998 Topps rookie that is like that and I've pulled other common and semistars from the 1980s like that too so I'm willing to bet it is real. If they wanted to make it more valuable they would have made some wrong back with Nolan Ryan or else to grab more attention. Plus that title doesn't seem to indicate the error or hype up the value of the card. Just seems like a seller who doesn't know what he has to me.

Thats the way I’m leaning as well. Kind of excited about it really. I hope I win it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics

So, I won it... Think I should get it authenticated? Even with all the grading crap going on now, I'm seriously considering it as I've never seen this card with an error back. If I recall, this card was reprinted a lot back in the 80's, so that has me worried.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So, I won it... Think I should get it authenticated? Even with all the grading crap going on now, I'm seriously considering it as I've never seen this card with an error back. If I recall, this card was reprinted a lot back in the 80's, so that has me worried.

In my opinion I'd say to get it authenticated. Normally I wouldn't but like you said this was a heavy counterfeited card for years so to get that peace of mind would be worth it for me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joebobjingo's Items on eBay

Agree with everything, but as far as grading goes, don't you think it would grade really low because of that "imperfection"? Seems more like a detriment to me when you consider that era in card printing. If I'm paying top dollar for that '80 RC, I want it exact. But that's a cool novelty nevertheless and at a seemingly good purchase price. Nice find for a Henderson collector!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    - Baseball Trade List Hidden Content
    - Basketball Trade List
    Hidden Content
    - Wants
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics

Agree with everything, but as far as grading goes, don't you think it would grade really low because of that "imperfection"? Seems more like a detriment to me when you consider that era in card printing. If I'm paying top dollar for that '80 RC, I want it exact. But that's a cool novelty nevertheless and at a seemingly good purchase price. Nice find for a Henderson collector!

The card isn't in the best shape regardless, so this would be mainly for authentication purposes. I'm honestly not sure if grading companies take errors like this into account or not. I've seen error cards get Gem Mint status, but those may be documented errors or something. Either way, if I decide to get it authenticated, I'll keep y'all updated as to what PSA or BGS says.

And agreed, if it's real, definitely a sweet addition to my Henderson collection. :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics

Although it pains me to do so, I called PSA to see what they would do about a card like this. They don't typically grade error cards that aren't cataloged or considered a normal error card in the industry (see the Billy Ripken f'face, Barry Bonds '87 Opening Day, or '82 Topps Blackless, etc). But they are going to review some images of the card and have their research team look at it. So that's cool.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics

So I've done a little research of my own and found a couple of uncut sheets from 1980 Topps with the Rickey RC. One was sold by Robert Edward Auctions. I've never heard of them before, so the legitimacy of the sheet itself... I couldn't tell you. It sold for $3,300 according to the site. One was sold on eBay.

Anyway, this is the uncut Rickey from Robert Edward Auctions... Look at the card directly to the right of the image, that's a Mike Lum as seen in fuller version of Lum below.
    1449-1980-topps-uncut-sheets-rickey-henderson-rookie-7.jpg

This is the uncut sheet from eBay. May be tough to see, but sure enough, Mike Lum directly to the right of the Rickey RC:
    s-l1600.jpg

This is Mr. Mike Lum's card from 1980 Topps. Lines up with the images above.
    lum71.jpg

Now, here is the back of my miscut RC. It's Mike Lum!:
    unnamed.jpg

So, I conclude that if the original uncut sheets were produced in this order, with Mike Lum beside the Rickey, then my version has a very good chance of being legitimate... That is unless the counterfeiter researched the uncut production sheets and intentionally used Mike Lum. Is that possible? Absolutely, but it honestly seems like a bit of a stretch that they would do that? Idk. I may just be hopeful. :)

Last edited by rickeywinsagain; 06-27-2019 at 01:22 AM.