Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

Ok, what the heck Upper Deck!! Deceptive practice?

As you're all aware, 18-19 SP Authentic was released recently.
    Oh, what's this?
    The checklist says (among other players)

Autographed Future Watch 191 Jack Eichel - Buffalo Sabres XRC #/ 999
    Inscriptions Parallel - Autographed Future Watch 191 Jack Eichel "10/8/2015" - Buffalo Sabres XRC #/ 50
    Future Watch Auto Patch 191 Jack Eichel - Buffalo Sabres XRC #/ 100

Now, we all know that Jack had signed an exclusivity deal with Leaf back in 15-16, which clearly has expired by now.

They've REPRODUCED the 15-16 Jack Eichel FW card.
    So now there's 999 with no auto, 949 with auto, and 50 with auto and Inscription.

Not to mention the original FW that people got IP auto's on.

I personally don't like this at all.

Pekka Rinne never got a Young Guns card.
    Why not print them up and insert them into 19-20 Series One.
    I mean, where does it end?
    New trend afoot?

What is your opinion?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues

Very deceptive and I am not a fan of it. My issue is that you have to search for the 2019 Copyright date on the back. This will make it easy for shady dealers to sell them as RC to newer or uninformed collectors. I think they should have said "2018-19 SP Authentic" on the back so that it is clear which set they were released in as a reprint. Curious to see what the 2018-19 Clear Cut Hockey versions of Crosby, etc say on the back. They are a bit more obvious since they are acetate.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

There was a lot of talk about this in our 2018-19 SP Authentic Thread not too long ago.

I think it's sad to see how Upper Deck is trying to low-key pass these off as official 15-16 SP Authentic cards. The cards were printed in 2019, however, it still states these Eichel FWA's are from "2015-16 SP Authentic Hockey", which is going to confuse some people.

I am all in for throwback designs, and I definitely expected UD to make a 'Future Watch' variant of Eichel because they weren't able to get him to sign cards in 2015/2016, but making it identical to the original with no clear markings that the card is from a 18-19 product is a shame to see.

And same goes for Nico Hischeir as well. Heck, we'll probably see the same with Nolan Patrick once he's able to sign for UD, too.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Curious to see what the 2018-19 Clear Cut Hockey versions of Crosby, etc say on the back. They are a bit more obvious since they are acetate.

Agreed on your first points.

As to the part quoted above, they will say 2018-19 on the back for sure. Upper Deck had no reason to try and pass these 18-19 Clear Cut cards off as rookie-year cards, because there are always so much true rookies of these big guys out there.

In the Eichel/Hischeir case, these guys (and their autographs) were "stolen" from them due to the Leaf Trading Cards Exclusive autograph deal with these players, so now UD desperately wanted to "make up" for then and create these identical FWA's from the respective rookie years and insert them into a 18-19 product in order to push it more and to make more money.

SCF Rewards
    Country

People want licensed auto rookies. Leaf took that away from the collectors with Eichel, Hischier and Patrick.

It doesnt matter what the card says on the back, it doesnt matter that these came out not during their rookie year.

The fact is that the collectors want what they want. Is anyone going to choose the "true" 15/16 released FW, when they want their FW to be auto'd, especially for the big players.

EVERYONE thats in this hobby should have been aware that these cards were coming out, no one should be surprised that their non auto FW is basically worth nothing anymore. Are we going to have the same complaints when SPx comes out? Premier? Ultimate? Cup? Are people really going to think, "they cant be putting "update" rookies of Eichel and Hischer in those products"

The hobby wants auto rookies. Even if there was something on the back like the word "Update" like they do with SPA inserted YGs, or something larger noting these cards came out of 18/19 SPA ..... do you think that would deter the SPA collector, or team collector, or player collector, or flipper .... from wanting these cards over their non auto counterparts?

How disappointed were Buffalo collectors when they heard Eichel signed an exclusive with Leaf? They were pissed. The hobby was pissed. Leaf sure did shoot themselves in the foot with that move. What about Philly and New Jersey fans? I remember a thread about how New Jersey and Philly won those 2 picks, how much joy their fan base felt ..... and how PISSED people were when they found out their 2 big new rookies wernt going to have licensed Upper Deck autographs.

The hobby wants what it wants, and the hobby wants licensed auto rookies. Upper Deck is giving us that, they even told us they were going to be released this year. There should be no surprise, no confusion about these cards.

Are they true auto rookies? Of course, thats debatable but not even the real question that matters. The only question that should matter is what does the hobby consider them to be, and I would think the majority of people are happy to have them in the hobby.

I spoke with a friend who has a pretty serious Eichel collection with a pretty serious amount of money invested in it. I asked about Eichel having a FW, and most likely having an update auto rookie in every release possible. He was pumped to be able to chase EIchel auto rookies this year. Sure, it will hurt the investment of his previous Eichels, but he understands that having Eichel Auto Rookies is GOOD for the hobby.

We complain about not having enough value in boxes, and Eichel and Hischer will provide extra value in all products they have an update auto. This just seems like something new for people to complain about.
    @fatfrank - "This will make it easy for shady dealers to sell them as RC to newer or uninformed collectors"
    - Shady dealers? They are simply selling what Upper Deck is providing them. They didnt make their own versions of this card like others try to do. They are selling FW Auto Rookies licensed and produced by Upper Deck. You should be the informed buyer and know what youre purchasing .... from hockey cards to a new house.
    @michaelpatko - "
    Not to mention the original FW that people got IP auto's on."
    - This is essentially people destroying the cards. I would say thats even worse and leaves the door open to people trying to sell fake "IP" autos. No one wanted an Eichel Ultimate / Showcase / Premier / SPA auto rookie that was signed after the fact. Even when Eichel did his signings where they would put a sticker on the back "authenticating" the card .... it was still garbage. Look at the copy n pasted checklist you put in your thread, and what tag do the EIchels have? XRC. This means Upper Deck is acknowledging that the cards arnt to their standards, true rookies. They understand they were released not during their rookie year ...... but like ive said since the very beginning, that doesnt matter. Its what the hobby deems them to be, and thats the more sought after card, which is the FW Auto Rookie
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Anyone know how NBA collectors made out, when Ben Simmonds (among others) didn't have auto rookies ?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See EmpireHockey's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I still contend UD should honor collectors by allowing them to send in their non-auto version in exchange for the auto version- like a redemption.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Speaking of redemptions, ultimate /99 are redemptions and not live...

P.s. not mineFB_IMG_1567456343354.jpeg