Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

best way to package packs? anyone ever done it?

So I'm moving and I have a massive collection and I know I cant sell my entire collection in one shot, so I have decided to get rid of the stars in packs..... I'm just looking for some advice on the best way to make a package .....

My goal isn't to get rid of the commons - I can just burn those - tho I do intend to insert 4 or 5 in every pack but I have like 300k stars that need to go but they're from all eras... So my question is how should I package them?

I was thinking per pack the following:

1 HOF rookie
    1 Jersey or auto
    5 vintage cards - anything from the 60's or 70's
    13 various Hall of Famers (including vintage as well)
    And perhaps 5 commons - cool ones tho like Probert, Clark etc

So 25 cards for 20 shipped and guaranteed 100 BV (if anyone cares about Beckett, lol)

Do you think that would be a good deal?

OR should I stick with the newer stuff and roll with the young guns and inserts?

I'm not trying to sell here, I'm just trying to gauge what collectors want to help me more effectively selloff my collection - just looking for advice of those that have done "fire sales" or sold in bulk in the past .... But I wont refuse business that is for sure...

Oh and would it be wrong if If someone purchased a pack and I just sent them a card that booked at 100++ just one card or perhaps I guess I could throw in 24 commons with the "hit"??

I mean I have tons of stuff to unload and I plan to put in these packs - Brett Hull Rookies, Oates RC's, Bobby Hull, Howe - I mean you can really go down the list .... I mean I have a brick of Brian Leetch and Kurri RC's ...... I couldn't even write a thesis on my collection and what I have but -- it's a TON and I have no desire to tow it to Savannah Georgia..... I'm going out there for work and a new start on life and maybe in a year or so I will start collecting again, but I'm also a musician/producer/musical engineer - so I really want to embrace that for a little bit while I'm still somewhat "young" (38)......

My circumstances as to why I'm having this "fire sale" aren't relevant - I'm merely asking what do you want in a pack, and what you believe is a good price as collectors and YES lol I understand your perfect pack would have a Gretzky rookie in it but that is not the advice I'm looking for......

Look, I just don't want to rip anyone off and I know that is subjective term but before I start this massive "selloff" I would like to gauge the opinion of hockey card collectors and what they believe is reasonable - that's all.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I mean I have tons of stuff to unload and I plan to put in these packs - Brett Hull Rookies, Oates RC's, Bobby Hull, Howe - I mean you can really go down the list .... I mean I have a brick of Brian Leetch and Kurri RC's ......

At the end of the day, nobody is buying mystery packs. End of story. The person selling mystery packs is bundling with a Brian Leetch RC as the "hit", which is worth $.10. If you need to move a large collection quick, be prepared to take a hit and list by team/player with some significant cards to lure in a buyer and a monumental effort of taking pics / listing cards.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I was thinking per pack the following:

1 HOF rookie
    1 Jersey or auto
    5 vintage cards - anything from the 60's or 70's
    13 various Hall of Famers (including vintage as well)
    And perhaps 5 commons - cool ones tho like Probert, Clark etc

So 25 cards for 20 shipped and guaranteed 100 BV (if anyone cares about Beckett, lol)

Do you think that would be a good deal?

No, I don't think it would be a good deal.

I mean, it depends on what you're putting in there (not that I would ever buy mystery packs) but if I'm getting the following cards:

A Brian Leetch RC
    An 18-19 UD Series 1 Game Jersey of Jack Eichel
    5 cards from the 60s or 70s (I'll assume 3 commons, a semi-star, and a star)
    13 cards of HOFers, that I'm guessing range from the 80s-Today. Could be base, could be low-end inserts, parallels, etc
    5 extra "commons" of good (popular) players, just not HOFers

^^^^^^

Honestly, if I saw a group of cards like that bundled together at a card show, for $1, I'd take a pass. At $1 it would be a "good deal" - I just wouldn't have anything to do with the cards after. At $25 shipped? There's not even close to fair value there (granted, I'm making up my own lot. I don't know what kinds of cards you actually intend to put in there)

The only times I've seen people have moderate success with mystery packs: Something like 1 GU + 1 Auto + 1 RC, charging $10 + s/h, and advertising the fact that there are several MONSTER hits in there. By Monster, I mean cards that would sell for $500 - $2000 (which means whoever is putting them together has made 1000s of these packs to cover the costs of those hits)

Brian Leetch RCs? Why do you have a brick of them? I can only assume you were buying them for less than $1 each, thinking you were getting some kind of amazing value. There is no value in those cards...... I don't care what Beckett says. If I offered up a bunch of Brian Leetch RCs, for 50 cents each + shipping, I would have a very hard time moving any of them.

If you want to sell lots, and use the BV as a selling point (i.e. "Look how much value you're getting!") you're ratios are way off. Instead of selling $100 BV for $20, try selling $300 BV for $20. That will get eyeballs on it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Go to the Rolling Meadows Card Show on July 7th, find someone who is willing to give you $0.30 on the dollar and sell it in bulk to one of those guys.
    Capture.PNG

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Go to the Rolling Meadows Card Show on July 7th, find someone who is willing to give you $0.30 on the dollar and sell it in bulk to one of those guys.
    Capture.PNG

That would do it too. There's lots of deep pocketed dealers out there, that would take on a big collection, if the price was right.

A few years back, I wanted to unload a lot of complete UD sets. I estimated I could do the work and sell the "everyone wants it" ot stuff, as singles, for about 6k. I figured with time an effort - I could sell lots of the other "decent" stuff for another 3k. I'd be left with a bunch of complete base sets... might get lucky and get 5 bucks a pop for a few. Maybe just take the stars out of them, sell as lots, and trash the rest.

The binders and sheets were worth 100s.

My gut told me everything was worth about 10k, maybe more.

I sold it all for 7k, to someone who wanted to do the work. In all honesty, I hope he did well off of it, but I never asked.