Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Former Sabres winger Alexander Mogilny snubbed again by Hockey Hall of Fame

It's now 11 years and counting. Still no invitation to the Hockey Hall of Fame for Alexander Mogilny.

The sharp-shooting winger who defected from Russia in 1989 and scored a franchise-record 76 goals for the Buffalo Sabres during the 1992-93 season was snubbed again in voting announced Tuesday for the Class of 2019. Mogilny, 50, has been eligible for induction since 2009.

Those elected were Canadian women's legend Hayley Wickenheiser, former WHA star Vaclav Nedomansky and two members of the 1999 Dallas Stars who beat the Sabres in the Stanley Cup final in defenseman Sergei Zubov and center Guy Carbonneau. There have been eight former Sabres inducted in the Hall, the last being Dave Andreychuk in 2017.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/25/a...-hall-of-fame/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great Prices on soft sleeves and top loaders!

Standard Soft sleeves .75 each or (5 for $3), Thick Soft Sleeves $1 each or (5 for $4), Top Loaders 60 point $2.75 each (3 for $8), Top Loaders 100 point $4, Top Loaders 140 points $2.50 each or (3 for $7) Top Loaders 190 point $1.75 each or (3 for $5), Top Loaders 240 point $2 each or (6 for $10). Prices do not include shipping!!

Check out Truebluecustoms on Instagram!!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay

990 games, 473 goals, 1032 pts....

02/03 Lady Bing...

I think, considering the defect history of '89, Alex is worthy of the hall, but I think it will take a bit of "Dick Duff" magic to get him in.

Always looking for high end Red Deer Rebels Cards!

SCF Rewards
    Country

If he had stayed a little healthier, he could have hit the 500 goal mark. I mean, at 473 he's close enough for me, but 500 just looks better. Hopefully he's voted in one day. He was such an exciting player to watch. Tremendous speed and wrist shot.

Mogilny and LaFontaine were pure magic with the Sabres for a couple of years there.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Alex Mogilny also won a Stanley Cup with the New Jersey Devils. I think he deserves to get in to the hall of fame

SCF Owner

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    Twitter: @scfnews See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Kronozio Upper Deck ePack

I think, considering the defect history of '89, Alex is worthy of the hall, but I think it will take a bit of "Dick Duff" magic to get him in.

for those that have never watched Defector, this is intriging!

Contact me for any site related issues
    =====
    Support SCF Sponsors

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

How Mogilny keeps getting passed over, I have no clue. If I simply look at this year's class:

I don't understand what planet the selection committee lived on, for them to deem Carbonneau a HOFer before Mogilny.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't how how Guy Carbonneau gets in the Hall before the likes of Mogilny, Ronenick, Brind'Amour etc..... I mean Carbonneau was great, but not HOF great... If the HHOF is going that route then why not Steve Larmer? Dirk Graham? or the numerous other great 2-way players that played the game??

Not to take anything away from
    Guy Carbonneau, but this stinks like Canadian bias, had he not played the majority of his career for the Habs do you really think he would be in the HOF??? I think not...

How was
    Guy Carbonneau any better than say Steve Larmer?

Larmer was also a Hart, Selke & Byng finalist several times in his career, he was also an All Star several times and won the Calder and a Stanley Cup...... Oh yea, and he was also over a PPG player - as a matter of fact Larmer was a 1.01 PPG player and
    Carbonneau was a .50 PPG player.....

Yet I bet Steve Larmer was never on the ballot once..

As far as
    Vaclav Nedomansky - that I totally understand, he was a fantastic player in his prime and the first NHL player to defect to North America (WHA), but by that time he was past his prime but still put up some decent numbers given his age, and even managed to play a handful of seasons after the WHA/NHL merger where he was still a somewhat productive player.... At one point in his prime he was considered one of the best players in the world, so I really cant argue against his induction...

But
    Carbonneau tho is a big face palm and IMO, it's really a big middle finger to players that had much better careers, were way more productive but just didnt happen to wear Le Bleu-Blanc-Rouge.

And it's funny, I never bothered to pull Carbonneau cards when I go through stacks pulling "actual" stars.... I'll pull Mogilny, Roenick, Tkachuk, Brind'Amour....

It seems like the HOF is really starting to become the "Hall of Very Good"..... I mean there is no way a guy like Carbonneau should share the same honors with guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Howe, Orr etc......

What the HOF should do is have a special section that "honors" good but not great players, kind of like a 2nd tier of the HOF.... Players that made an impact but were never top 10 or 12 players of their generation....

SCF Rewards
    Country

How Mogilny keeps getting passed over, I have no clue. If I simply look at this year's class:

I don't understand what planet the selection committee lived on, for them to deem Carbonneau a HOFer before Mogilny.

I totally agree, and the story of how Mogilny got to the NHL is even more amazing, and I bring that up because Nedomansky is part if this class and part of the reason he was selected is because he was the first to defect to North America to play -- well look how Mogilny got to North America, they basically had to smuggle him out of the USSR - it was something out of an action spy movie... Not only that but like Nedomansky - Mogilny was a superstar too....The guy only put up 76 goals in one season, based on those 2 factors alone Mogilny should be in the HOF....

Roenick should be in too....

I think any forward that scores 500+ goals in his career, or would have certainly scored 500+ goals in their career but didn't due to injuries or unforeseen circumstances should be in the HOF.. I think if a player meets a certain set of criteria they should automatically be inducted into the Hall of Fame.. And if they meet that criteria while still playing that shouldn't make any difference ..

For me, the only reason why Guy is in the HOF is because he played for the Canadians.. Yes, he was one of the better defensive forwards of his era (there were many on his level too), he won 3 Selke's, but it's kinda funny how he stopped being considered for Selke's the second he left Montreal .... After that he was nominated for no awards at all except in 1999-00 when he was with Dallas and he finished 9th, at the age of 39, when Dallas almost won another Cup, and IMO those Selke votes were probably "fair well" votes give his age.

Last edited by Savard18; 07-15-2019 at 07:36 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

for those that have never watched Defector, this is intriging!

I have watched it quite a few times, it's an amazing story....

And the weird part is, the fact Nedomansky was inducted is due to him being the first defector from the Soviet Union, but he didn't have to go through what Mogilny did to get to North America to play.... To be honest the Soviets really didn't care Nedomansky defected because he was well past his prime when he did, but Mogilny on the other hand - he was in his prime and a superstar, and there was no way they were just going to let him jump on an airplane with their permission to go play in Buffalo.... Also, I know this isn't a good comparison given the age differences between the two at the time they defected but Mogilny had the much better NHL career, and I understand this is the Hockey Hall of Fame and not the NHL Hall of Fame so what Nedomansky did in the USSR does play a role in his induction into the HOF, but still - Mogilny belongs right there with him.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If he had stayed a little healthier, he could have hit the 500 goal mark. I mean, at 473 he's close enough for me, but 500 just looks better. Hopefully he's voted in one day. He was such an exciting player to watch. Tremendous speed and wrist shot.

Mogilny and LaFontaine were pure magic with the Sabres for a couple of years there.

Indeed, he really should have pulled a Peter Bondra, came back an played for one more year or two just to get those 27 goals just to get to 500.... I remember he came out of retirement and signed with the Hawks in like December of 2006 just so he could get to that 500 goal mark...

Funny enough, I think Roenick belongs in the HOF as well, and I think he really only played an extra 2 years just so he could get to that 500 plateau, thinking it would help his chances of getting into the Hall..... But I suppose these days 500 goals doesn't guarantee you a spot in the HOF.... I think it really should .... Think about how tough it is to score 500 goals. You have to be a very good or great player for a very long time - at least 15 seasons of 35+ goals a season, not an easy feat considering you need to stay healthy enough every season to pot 35+ goals a season...

It's almost like the committee weighs how popular you were with/against your statistics and that is how they determine if you're worthy for the Hall...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast