Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

this is the part that I agree with you about - I would have gone higher also, but its still not a joke because the player decided to sign it, period. If he wanted to hold to 9+ Million, he could have done just that and forced Montreal to

a) up the offer
    b) find a trade
    c) go in a different direction

I'm not a Habs fan, but I applaud Bergevin for doing this. In fact, I believe that he helped the Leafs because Marner's probably not going to see Austin Matthews money, which can help the Leafs overall cap situation (while keeping Nylander) - this is my opinion.

However, your comment on magic beans made me think about what Dustin Penner (2007 Offer Sheet to the Oilers that was not matched) turned into, so I found this article that breaks down the tree from Anaheim's standpoint

https://www.coppernblue.com/2013/8/2...-sheet-results

February 26th 2008 - Burke traded the Oilers' 3rd-round pick (#73) to the New York Islanders for Marc-Andre Bergeron. (This was the pick that Lowe had to trade a 2nd round pick (from the Pronger trade) to the Islanders for in order to make the offer sheet in the first place).

June 20th 2008 - Burke traded the Oilers' 1st-round pick (#12) to the Los Angeles Kings for #17 and #28 in the 2008 draft.

June 20th 2008 - With the 17th pick in the first round, Burke drafted Jake Gardiner.

June 20th 2008 - Burke traded the #28 pick to the Phoenix Coyotes for #35 and #39 in the 2008 draft.

June 21th 2008 - With the 35th pick overall, Burke drafted Nicolas Deschamps.

June 21th 2008 - With the 39th pick overall, Burke drafted Eric O'Dell.

June 21th 2008 - Burke used the Oilers' 2nd-round pick (#43) to draft Justin Schultz.

March 4th 2009 - Ducks GM Bob Murray traded Eric O'Dell to the Atlanta Thrashers for Erik Christensen.

February 9th 2011 - Murray traded Jake Gardiner, with Joffrey Lupul and a 4th-round pick in the 2013 draft (#117) to the Maple Leafs for Francois Beauchemin.

January 3rd 2012 - Murray traded Nicolas Deschamps to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Luca Caputi.

Ironically, Schultz did not sign with Anaheim and they lost his right to............... EDMONTON

and we all know about the great success Penner had with the Oilers

Here is something else to think about... what if the Sabres took the 4 1st for Thomas Vanek.... well, that would have been the following for the Sabres (based on where Edmonton drafted)

https://thehockeywriters.com/rewriti...s-offer-sheet/

Buffalo Receives: 08 1st round pick (Colton Teubert-LA pick since EDM traded back), 09 1st round pick (Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson), 10 1st round pick (Taylor Hall), and 11 first round pick (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins)

Granted, there is no guarantee Edmonton would have started their NHL lottery dynasty with Vanek so it's entirely possible that these are not the picks Buffalo would have received...

This is a good case study on why teams probably are not going to pull the trigger on 4-1st round picks... but if you are a good team (or a team on the rise, it's worth considering)

However, with all of this... none of this is being discussed without Aho signing the OS to start with.... that is entire point and why its NOT a joke

Good discussion, regardless of your point of view!

Carolina considered that offer a joke. The owner even said it. Yes, Aho signed the contract. To me, that truly is irrelevant because it took the team, like, two days to match. To me, a "serious" offer truly makes the team think. Sign the player to a $20 million contract (or whatever the maximum amount is). To hell with the draft picks.

If you look at Marc Bergevin's draft history, losing the first rounders is no big deal. Only a handful of his draft picks have made the NHL and only a few have made an impact - on other teams. Only recently have his draft picks done anything IN Montreal. Give the player AT LEAST $10-$15 million and give up the draft picks to get a top young player dude...

I think the offer sheet is dead in the next collective bargaining agreement. What's the point of sending an offer sheet to a top player if you aren't willing to give the maximum money and term? Stop wasting your time with it if you aren't willing to truly go for it!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

that's the problem with this...all he would be giving up is draft picks. Basically, they're magic beans at this point. So what if he has to give up two firsts, a second, etc with a higher offer. For a player like aho, that's worth it. Should have went for it and made the higher offer. Period.

Players like aho, marner, rantanen, and point don't come along very often. this wasn't going to be a sideways move like subban for weber. This is a chance to acquire a young star player for peanuts. The offer was a joke and i will hold to that forever.

lol
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234