Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I don't know about everyone who says they hate ITG, but I personally am not a fan of these cards because I consider them to be an illegal product. They are not licensed by the NHL/NHLPA. I honestly feel dirty owning them. That's just me. If they ever get a license with the NHL/NHLPA, you can bet I will be collecting them.

Getting back to the original point of this thread, Upper Deck is Upper Deck. I see nothing special about this set. I'll get excited when the 2019-20 SP Authentic comes out and I find out which, if any, Golden Knights or Maple Leafs RCs are in the set.

Far from illegal. Anyone can open up their own card manufactering business, purchase memerabilia, sign agreements with players to sign x amount of cards for x amount of dollars and create card products. Totally legit. Not having a license would effect imaging, but that doesn't make the product "illegal" by any stretch. I get what you're trying to say, but this comes off very strong in my opinion.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

For anyone wondering why there's a lot of backlash about ITG, it has a lot to do with the way the company exited the hobby. See here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/show...-back-door-man

Leaf is its own entity, and while I'm not personally a collector of their releases, they have some nice stuff including a lot of vintage memorabilia which will always attract people.

To the topic at hand...I get why the inserts are there - the product at-large is one for the entry-level audience, many of whom aren't yet as cynical as some of us who have been through the joys of turning hundreds of bucks into fewer bucks by busting wax. Kids love them - they're shiny and look cool, and they're good for autographs TTM/IP. Given the print run of the product as a whole, and the seeding of them into packs, there are more than anybody can ever want because the supply is just too large for any semblance of scarcity. Go on COMC and you can get most players for 33 to 35 cents a card...if you even want to.

That said, suggesting that UD overhaul this release by adding in all sorts of autographed content is a recipe for cost increases, making one of the most accessible products in the hobby less accessible. The product is strong enough to stand on its own with the strength of the Young Guns and being "the staple" of the hobby. It does need some revitalization on the secondary content to be sure, as it's always the same players in the same subsets year after year, but for the entry-level collector, they need and want those cards that will have broader appeal.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

I like the new design on the jersey cards, and I'll be looking for a Poehling YG for sure!
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Far from illegal. Anyone can open up their own card manufactering business, purchase memerabilia, sign agreements with players to sign x amount of cards for x amount of dollars and create card products. Totally legit. Not having a license would effect imaging, but that doesn't make the product "illegal" by any stretch. I get what you're trying to say, but this comes off very strong in my opinion.

I intended for my post to come off strong, and I don't apologize for it. I am strongly against ITG from 2004-05 onward, no matter who produced it.

I feel that if you do not have a license agreement with the NHL and you go ahead and produce cards featuring current/former NHL players anyway, I personally consider that to be illegal and I am scared to own them. They should not be allowed to release unlicensed product.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123