Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Prison Break: An Easy Step-By-Step Guide to Crack Cards Out of Their Plastic Cases

Hey guys,

Yeah, I'm a slab cracker (gasp!).

I cracked another slab today and this time I decided to write about it on my very own hockey card blog: Beyond The Crease.

I've been cracking slabs for years, but I remember how nervous I was the first time around, so I decide to provide you guys with some step-by-step instructions on how I do it.

Hope you enjoy! Please let me know what you think!

Link:
    https://creasecollector.weebly.com/b...-itg-slabs-etc

Last edited by creasecollector; 08-05-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

@creasecollector, you must be fairly confident in your abilities .... isn't that a PC card lol?

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

As for your question about preferring to leave cards slabbed or not .... I always preferred slabbed. You can't beat the type of protection that comes with a slabbed card.

I have cracked many slabbed cases in my lifetime, using a variety of methods, but mostly for cheap cards that were slabbed (think Challenge for the Cup rookies). This method is definitely a good one. Nice work and thanks for the demo!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

@creasecollector, you must be fairly confident in your abilities .... isn't that a PC card lol?

Thanks for the reply @pwskelly !

And it sure is a PC card!

SCF Rewards
    Country

There are no and never will be any slabs in my collection.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

There are no and never will be any slabs in my collection.

Haha, I feel that.

The only cards I have in a slab are a few graded cards (graded 9 or above), plus a ITG H&P Priority Signings Enroth card /3 that I need to keep in the slab because the card itself has no identifiable marking to indicate it was a show card.

Aside from graded cards, here's the only card I keep in a slab right now:

2013 Spring Expo - ITG Priority Signings - 2010-11 Heroes And Prospects Autograph Jhonas Enroth 2/3

I need this card in the slab in order to properly identify it for my collection. There are no other marking on the front or back to identify that it's a show card. So it will have to stay.

Other than that, the card gets busted!
    Last edited by creasecollector; 08-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

As for your question about preferring to leave cards slabbed or not .... I always preferred slabbed. You can't beat the type of protection that comes with a slabbed card.

I have cracked many slabbed cases in my lifetime, using a variety of methods, but mostly for cheap cards that were slabbed (think Challenge for the Cup rookies). This method is definitely a good one. Nice work and thanks for the demo!

Oh for sure. When talking about protection, nothing beats a slabbed card.

For me, and I mentioned this briefly in the above blog post, but my card storage is a big thing for me.

I'd prefer to store cards the way I like and sacrifice some protection. I don't mind a dinged corner or two, as long as I have the card safely in my binder, I'm happy.

I realize how "old school" that might sound, and while I'm not an old school collector by any means, it's the way I prefer things.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wonder that the qualifications are to be a be a card grader.....I mean I have a few slabbed cards - not the biggest fan considering there are people out there breaking slabs, lol - but I do have a few, and I think they're fair grades to an extent, but at the same time I think some of these graders don't take era into account...

For example, I have a 77-78 Orr right next to me and the only thing wrong with this card that it's OC 40/60 L/R.....Other than that it is a perfect card ... Top to bottom is perfect and you could cut your finger on the corners, perhaps one could argue the corners on the back aren't as perfect on the front - but this is a difficult set to find a "perfect Topps" specimen... I'm sure there are some 9-10's but IMO, if I was grading the card I would hold it to mid to late 70's standards.... This card got a 7, but objectively I feel it should have qualified as a 7. 5 or 8. and if not for the centering an easy 9....

Here is the thing tho, when it comes to centering and "vintage" cards I'm a bit more lax on that trait ...

There are lots of cars out there that are hard to find centered but have other flaws, now does the fact it the card is centered give that card a bonus??

I mean 1971-72 is a good example of that... That set is notorious for being off-centered, heck 72-73 as well... So should a card that is 50/50 with perhaps a dinged corner (not soft but a dinged) corner demand a premium?...

Look, if I have an opportunity to grab a card that is notoriously known to be O/C and I find one centered - I will buy it because that card - regardless of it's other flaws is rare within itself .....In hockey a good example of that is the 71-72 Howe - I have (3) 2 of which are razor sharp, the centered one tho is pretty rough, lol... The Dryden RC runs the same way tho, but I lucky got a Topps RC centered for a very good price, and almost bought an OPC for a little bit more but centered with a crease through it but other than that sharp corners and no other flaws...

I suppose my point is that some cards have common flaws be it centering or common printing defects and it seems these grading services don't take these common issues into account when they grade cards, and I do believe it you have one of these cards that don't have these defects it should get a bonus grade - or at the very least be pointed out that "this is one of the more rarer centered versions" for example ..... Some cards are just rare because they're not like the others, so they shouldn't be judged or graded the same.... I mean sure give them similar grades but point out that 71-72 Gordie Howe is centered , while the other 80% aren't..