Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Who would you go after?

When looking for a new player to collect/invest in?

I am coming from the standpoint of a guy that can see some real significant value increase across the board in the pretty near future and someone who will also be a great bet long term.

The person that comes to mind for me is Patrick Mahomes.

Do yall have other options to share?

I am not limiting myself to football either. I had thought Giannis for basketball.

If you tend to disagree with these 2 guys that I mentioned, I want to hear that too.

Thanks for your input.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not really a football guy but looking at current stats Matt Ryan seems like he could be a guy could explode in the future especially if he wins a Super Bowl. The Falcons almost did against the Patriots but he has a ton of passing stats already and plays in a dome and Brady and Brees can't play forever. After they retire he will probably take over as the leading passing yards/TD thing so if any records are going to be broken he would be the guy to do so (if passing stats continue to go up up and up). Plus he is pretty cheap for a QB in a big market.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Unless you're basically rich, your two options aren't realistic as both players' cards are already extremely pricey.

I'll just deal with the football cards ... and Mahomes is a very, very risky investment as his cards are already so valuable that if he does NOT win multiple Super Bowls and have a Hall of Fame career you will likely lose a ton of money.

If you're looking to buy low and sell super-high, you're basically limited to taking fliers on guys who aren't worth much at all but could hit big under the right circumstances ... guys like BACKUP QBs (Bortles, Brissett, Cooper Rush, etc).

However, if you're just asking who is a solid investment at the QB position, I'd say there are a lot of possibilities including Jimmy G, Jameis Winston, Sam Darnold, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, etc.

It really just depends what you're looking to do ... do you want to take big risk to possibly hit a big home run (Bortles, Rush, etc), or would you rather make a safe investment that is almost guaranteed to appreciate at a steady rate (Brady, Brees) or a mixture of both (Jameis, Darnold, etc)?

I'm happy to help if I can ...

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not really a football guy but looking at current stats Matt Ryan seems like he could be a guy could explode in the future especially if he wins a Super Bowl. The Falcons almost did against the Patriots but he has a ton of passing stats already and plays in a dome and Brady and Brees can't play forever. After they retire he will probably take over as the leading passing yards/TD thing so if any records are going to be broken he would be the guy to do so (if passing stats continue to go up up and up). Plus he is pretty cheap for a QB in a big market.

Story of Matt Ryan's career: Never gets the respect and not many fans "like" him or think he is overrated.

I would not invest in him due to this opinion alone. Just an opion though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Unless you're basically rich, your two options aren't realistic as both players' cards are already extremely pricey.

I'll just deal with the football cards ... and Mahomes is a very, very risky investment as his cards are already so valuable that if he does NOT win multiple Super Bowls and have a Hall of Fame career you will likely lose a ton of money.

If you're looking to buy low and sell super-high, you're basically limited to taking fliers on guys who aren't worth much at all but could hit big under the right circumstances ... guys like BACKUP QBs (Bortles, Brissett, Cooper Rush, etc).

However, if you're just asking who is a solid investment at the QB position, I'd say there are a lot of possibilities including Jimmy G, Jameis Winston, Sam Darnold, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, etc.

It really just depends what you're looking to do ... do you want to take big risk to possibly hit a big home run (Bortles, Rush, etc), or would you rather make a safe investment that is almost guaranteed to appreciate at a steady rate (Brady, Brees) or a mixture of both (Jameis, Darnold, etc)?

I'm happy to help if I can ...

Thanks man. Yeah I'm more after a Steph Curry type thing. Where if you bought into him around 2011-2014, you made a pretty good decision given the 2015-2016 price increases and how he has manifested.

I'm not too big on the guys you specifically mentioned. It's really a tough call it seems for me or anyone to pick a Curry type situation to happen again.
    Last edited by riseupsportscards; 08-12-2019 at 09:20 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks man. Yeah I'm more after a Steph Curry type thing. Where if you bought into him around 2011-2014, you made a pretty good decision given the 2015-2016 price increases and how he has manifested.

I'm not too big on the guys you specifically mentioned. It's really a tough call it seems for me or anyone to pick a Curry type situation to happen again.

Okay, a Steph Curry type thing ... here are the players I think "could" allow you to make a ton of profit:

Sam Darnold: It may take 3 years but once Brady retires the Jets should own that division, New York is a big market and Darnold has elite talent.

Jarrett Stidham:
    Great coach, old starting QB, top notch organization ... had one invested in Jimmy G early they would have made a killing had they sold after his first year with the 49'ers ... a killing.

Jameis Winston: Youngest Pro Bowl QB Ever, Only QB to start career w/ back to back 4k seasons, #2 all-time in NFL history in both passing yards & TDs by age 25, finished top 5 in QBR (only QB other than Drew Brees to do that on a losing team since 2015) and #1 in passer rating under pressure and on 3rd down conversions in 2018, finally has a real coach and will likely easily retire with Hall of Fame numbers ... if Tampa can ever field a defense and "win", his cards will likely explode. The only problem with investing in Winston is that I own all his best cards ... and I'm NOT selling :-)

Josh Allen: The Bills have a legit roster and Josh Allen is an absolute human highlight film with his ridiculous arm strength and absurd strength/athleticism ... he's basically a white Cam Newton playing in a solid market, so his cards could explode if the Bills can run the division once Brady's done. The "bust factor" may also be pretty high with Allen though as he has a wild arm and is still learning the position.

Will Grier: Should be quite cheap to start as he's strictly a back-up and Cam Newton is still highly regarded by most collectors BUT Newton could be winding down and Grier is a legit gunslinger and also a hometown kid in Carolina that the fans could really get behind.

Cooper Rush/Nick Mullens: Backups in two big collector markets(Dallas & Frisco) and playing behind QBs on the last year of their contract with any guaranteed money ...

NON-QBS:

Leonard Fournette: His cards were worth a ton during his rookie year and are now very cheap due to a down 2018, but if he lives up to his potential and carries the Jags to a SB or even just wins OPOY his cards should experience a big jump.

Tony Pollard: Jerry Jones says he believes the rookie can "carry the load" in Zeke sits out ... Zeke may just pull a Lev Bell and sit the year out and Pollard cards could be a great investment if that happens.

I'll add some hoopers for you too as I made a killing investing in Kobe & LeBron back in the day, so it is definitely possible to hit the lottery investing in basketball cards, so to speak.

NBA PLAYERS:

Andrew Wiggins: His cards are very cheap now compared to what they were his rookie year, but it's very possible he's going to be traded soon and he has the potential to win a scoring title one day if he ever decides to care ... he also has great career numbers as he started at such a young age which is always a plus.

Kyle Kuzma: Biggest market, great shot at titles, currently not all that expensive ... could be a legit #2 option once LeBron retires.

Montrezl Harrell: He's probably the most similar current NBA player to Dennis Rodman who was worth a great deal in his hey-day, and plays in a huge market on a team that could become the next dynasty.

Pascal Siakim: A poor man's Greak-freak with lots of upside, an entire nation that loves him, and reasonable card prices at present.

Zach LaVine: A highlight reel type player, playing in MJ's house and with the ability to lead the league in scoring one day.

CP3: Old man Chris could actually be a great quick-flip investment if he ends up getting bought out and signing with the Lakers and winning a title, but those are also big "ifs".
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 08-12-2019 at 09:49 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Okay, a Steph Curry type thing ... here are the players I think "could" allow you to make a ton of profit:

Sam Darnold: It may take 3 years but once Brady retires the Jets should own that division, New York is a big market and Darnold has elite talent.

Jarrett Stidham:
    Great coach, old starting QB, top notch organization ... had one invested in Jimmy G early they would have made a killing had they sold after his first year with the 49'ers ... a killing.

Jameis Winston: Youngest Pro Bowl QB Ever, Only QB to start career w/ back to back 4k seasons, #2 all-time in NFL history in both passing yards & TDs by age 25, finished top 5 in QBR (only QB other than Drew Brees to do that on a losing team since 2015) and #1 in passer rating under pressure and on 3rd down conversions in 2018, finally has a real coach and will likely easily retire with Hall of Fame numbers ... if Tampa can ever field a defense and "win", his cards will likely explode. The only problem with investing in Winston is that I own all his best cards ... and I'm NOT selling :-)

Josh Allen: The Bills have a legit roster and Josh Allen is an absolute human highlight film with his ridiculous arm strength and absurd strength/athleticism ... he's basically a white Cam Newton playing in a solid market, so his cards could explode if the Bills can run the division once Brady's done. The "bust factor" may also be pretty high with Allen though as he has a wild arm and is still learning the position.

Will Grier: Should be quite cheap to start as he's strictly a back-up and Cam Newton is still highly regarded by most collectors BUT Newton could be winding down and Grier is a legit gunslinger and also a hometown kid in Carolina that the fans could really get behind.

Cooper Rush/Nick Mullens: Backups in two big collector markets(Dallas & Frisco) and playing behind QBs on the last year of their contract with any guaranteed money ...

NON-QBS:

Leonard Fournette: His cards were worth a ton during his rookie year and are now very cheap due to a down 2018, but if he lives up to his potential and carries the Jags to a SB or even just wins OPOY his cards should experience a big jump.

Tony Pollard: Jerry Jones says he believes the rookie can "carry the load" in Zeke sits out ... Zeke may just pull a Lev Bell and sit the year out and Pollard cards could be a great investment if that happens.

I'll add some hoopers for you too as I made a killing investing in Kobe & LeBron back in the day, so it is definitely possible to hit the lottery investing in basketball cards, so to speak.

NBA PLAYERS:

Andrew Wiggins: His cards are very cheap now compared to what they were his rookie year, but it's very possible he's going to be traded soon and he has the potential to win a scoring title one day if he ever decides to care ... he also has great career numbers as he started at such a young age which is always a plus.

Kyle Kuzma: Biggest market, great shot at titles, currently not all that expensive ... could be a legit #2 option once LeBron retires.

Montrezl Harrell: He's probably the most similar current NBA player to Dennis Rodman who was worth a great deal in his hey-day, and plays in a huge market on a team that could become the next dynasty.

Pascal Siakim: A poor man's Greak-freak with lots of upside, an entire nation that loves him, and reasonable card prices at present.

Zach LaVine: A highlight reel type player, playing in MJ's house and with the ability to lead the league in scoring one day.

CP3: Old man Chris could actually be a great quick-flip investment if he ends up getting bought out and signing with the Lakers and winning a title, but those are also big "ifs".

Thanks for all that. Thats alot to think about. Some of your points were intriguing. If anything it compelled me to think about a few of the guys you've detailed. Fournette, Grier, Darnold, Kuzma and Siakim are the ones I'm thinking about researching more. Be blessed.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Army
    New England Patriots

Mahomes is a very, very risky investment as his cards are already so valuable that if he does NOT win multiple Super Bowls and have a Hall of Fame career you will likely lose a ton of money.

Definitely agree with this statement...you MIGHT even be able to add Baker Mayfield to this category, although I think he has more room to grow than Mahomes.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Army
    New England Patriots

This is a good point, and you can actually look at the recent skyrocket in Drew Brees prices as an indicator of what potentially will happen to Matt Ryan's value in the coming years.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This is a good point, and you can actually look at the recent skyrocket in Drew Brees prices as an indicator of what potentially will happen to Matt Ryan's value in the coming years.

Ryan is very under-rated in the media and "the hobby" ... but ... I doubt he'll ever have the following Brees' has ... I do think that as long as he stays healthy, he'll retire with Hall of Fame stats and probably get enshrined in Canton, but I don't think he'll ever have the following Brees has, which will keep his card prices lower ... just my $.02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast