Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do people do this

SCF Rewards
    Country

why do people do this

I was just wondering why go out and buy a couple boxes for instance of 2003 topps and they have the complete factory set you can get for around 75-80 bucks and it has both series plus 5 first year cards you can't get in the box, I know they go tthe chase cards in the boxes but I am talking about people who simply want to put the set together...

I saw a guy do this in the hobby shop last night and the owner was saying why don't you just buy the factory set and he was like now I would rather spend $150 on the 3 boxes, I jsut thought that was a total waste of money...JMO

SCF Rewards
    Country

The only reason I see why is that the people like the thrill of putting together the same themself.

Its not really fun to buy a complete factory set. Cause there is no thrill and challange to it.

That is the only explaination I can come up with.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Kmench1
    There may be so people out there that are just stupid, but I do it for the reason Pwaldo gave. There is no fun in buying the whole set.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stublem84's Items on eBay

Yeah it may take more money but after trying to get that one last card you need and finally getting it makes it more special.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Molina00's Items on eBay

It is more fun having the challenge of putting a set together instead of going out and buying it. Plus you have a shot at some inserts, game-used and autos. In Topps 2003, I pulled a Pujols auto and a Palmeiro bat. I was very happy about those pulls.
    Palmeiro mainly because he is my second fav. player.

SCF Rewards
    Country

rioght but this guy is a set collector, and hell if you like busting packs which I like to do you buy the set and then get a few packs to go alone with to satisfy your thrist.

SCF Rewards

Folks like the surprise of pulling out valuable cards.

In a factory set, you only get that one Barry Bonds RC.

but in a wax box, who knows how many you may end up with (assuming the corrupt dealers haven't opened it, pulled out the Bonds, and re-sealed it)

SCF Rewards
    See Rocky15231's Items on eBay

yeah the chase and opening is the best part, but the end product value doesnt always reflect what you spend. for me, i chalk it up to being half the fun buying, opening and being suprised. but as we all know, it doesnt always work that way.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I like putting insert sets together and the best way to start is with packs and then trade/buy the rest....

But I can see gi's point as well... if youwant the base set, why not just buy and save yourself the money and trouble....

SCF Rewards

Yea opening packs is definitely the best part of collecting i guess so purchasing a full set just ruins it.

what is that proverb thing like the tougher the hunt the sweeter the catch i don't know exactly but cards are that way to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast