Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See wackysplus's Items on eBay

I answered a request for BV's in a thread last night which was then closed and lead me to this thread. I understand the rule and the need to curb this practice before it becomes an issue. What seemed like an innocent favor for a fellow board member, could be considered wrong by some people. I don't believe Beckett's name was used in the thread, but BV is pretty much Beckett since they are really the only game in town, even though their prices are way high. I use them to know which cards are better than others, but when it comes to pricing a card, I either use past sales from eBay or cut the Beckett price in half or even more.

Anyway, thanks for educating this new member and I will certainly refrain from directly giving out price information that clearly comes straight from the source.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Question: Can we say that the value is from COMC, since they provide the Beckett Book Price for free for everyone? Would that be copyright infringement, even if they are giving it out for free?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bobobag's Items on eBay

I answered a request for BV's in a thread last night which was then closed and lead me to this thread. I understand the rule and the need to curb this practice before it becomes an issue. What seemed like an innocent favor for a fellow board member, could be considered wrong by some people. I don't believe Beckett's name was used in the thread, but BV is pretty much Beckett since they are really the only game in town, even though their prices are way high. I use them to know which cards are better than others, but when it comes to pricing a card, I either use past sales from eBay or cut the Beckett price in half or even more.

Anyway, thanks for educating this new member and I will certainly refrain from directly giving out price information that clearly comes straight from the source.

Thanks for the understanding! A few years ago we had 100s of "Book Value" request threads. Basically, people were using their online Beckett for public use. Obviously, we would be held liable if we allowed it in public. What you do in Private Message, e-mail, etc is your own business!

Question: Can we say that the value is from COMC, since they provide the Beckett Book Price for free for everyone? Would that be copyright infringement, even if they are giving it out for free?

COMC pays Beckett a license fee, so they are allowed to post the data. We don't have a license.

SCF Rewards
    Country

COMC pays Beckett a license fee, so they are allowed to post the data. We don't have a license.

So even though we get it for free, we cannot use it for our own use and say it is from _____?

Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bobobag's Items on eBay

So even though we get it for free, we cannot use it for our own use and say it is from _____?

Thanks!

You will never get slammed on SCF for telling someone what you think the card is worth. It's just when you mention a source. I really HATE being so nit picky, but lawyers love to nit pick and get paid. :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

You will never get slammed on SCF for telling someone what you think the card is worth. It's just when you mention a source. I really HATE being so nit picky, but lawyers love to nit pick and get paid. :)

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks Mike!

NBD about the nit pickiness... the site is perfect, so it's okay to have 1-2 things you have to be strict on

SCF Rewards
    Country

Bottom line, it's a touchy subject and best not to test the waters. Limit your values to what "you" think a card is worth and leave the "guides" out of it. How "you" determine the value shouldn't be mentioned unless it's from seeing it go for that price somewhere, but if you read it in a guide, keep it to yourself.

"I saw that card go for $x.xx on eBay in a couple of different auctions" = GOOD
    "I think that card is worth about $x.xx from what I've seen" = GOOD
    "My local shop sells those for $x.xx all day long" = GOOD
    "That card's BV is $x.xx" = BAD
    "The GUIDES list that card at $x.xx" = BAD

That's pretty much the rule in a nut shell, don't mention book value or guide, only your opinion.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the understanding! A few years ago we had 100s of "Book Value" request threads. Basically, people were using their online Beckett for public use. Obviously, we would be held liable if we allowed it in public. What you do in Private Message, e-mail, etc is your own business!

No problem, you really have to cover your behinds in this sue happy world. It can cost a lot just to find out that you weren't in the wrong, so you have to choose your battles wisely. In this case, it's not worth the risk and better to keep a low profile.

Great forum!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Anyone remember not but 4 or so years ago beckett OPG was free? How the times have changed. The my collections type organizer was free, the site was free? I still don't understand how I can not post the prices on my cards when I pay for the pricing. Its like me buying food and no one else can eat it, or a CD and no one else can hear me playing it. Just wait for ebay to copyright their sold/ended auctions and then beckett will be screwed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks good read

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345