Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Strong market for baseball memorabilia

In these troubled economic times, it defies logic that a sports memorabilia dealer would thrive.

But for West Meadows resident Bill Corcoran, business is booming.

"The only explanation I have is that it's a hobby," said Corcoran, 48. "And in hard times, people turn to some type of respite or hobby to escape."

Business was always consistent, Corcoran said. But when the economy took a turn for the worse last year, orders took off.

Story

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Very nice read. Disturbing that he does not see another generation of autograph collectors coming up behind ours! Anyone else think that the auto trend will be fading away?
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think that the autograph trend is here to stay. I do like his collecting tip though.

Collecting tip: For the price of an A-Rod- or Derek Jeter-signed baseball, which sells for $300 to $400, you could buy 10 or 15 Hall of Famers that go for about $30 to $40 apiece.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think that the autograph trend is here to stay. I do like his collecting tip though.

I agree there will be collectors but I don't think they'll be buying expensive memorabelia off these websites. They will try to get them ip.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See g1ebe's Items on eBay

I dont see whats so cool about autos, its a persons writing but yeah. maybe its beause they are less flooded? id think GU were much cooler if they wernt as flooded.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I dont see whats so cool about autos, its a persons writing but yeah. maybe its beause they are less flooded? id think GU were much cooler if they wernt as flooded.

The thing is most of the game used cards aren't really game used. The older ones are considering how half the time the jerseys and bats look beaten up.

Country

I believe Autos are way better than game used unless you obtain the piece yourself. my favorite thing about my collection is the story about how i got it. I guess I am a member of the new generation (i'm 18) and my friends make funof me a bit with my baseball stuff, but the best arguement i have so far is that autographs and memorabilia are my art. and the value of art is up to the buyer. To me a jersey signed by Craig Biggio would be worth more than a jersey signed by hank aaron, bc I grew up admiring everything about him. He was the player I wanted to become and it would be a lot more meaningful. I don't know. Older guys don't worry, there are a few of us to trying to come up and collect, but you adults are making it difficult. We dont have hundreds of dollars for stuff with coas and authenitcations. I tried to trade a ball signed by a minor leaguer the other day and this guy refused bc it wasn't certified. My apologies, I don't have $20-35 extra to spend authenticating baseball that i saw signed at games to trade for something worth $20-35

My collection has been focused now towards collecting the players of the future. I live in Dallas, TX about 15 mins from the Rangers AA, and I love going to game for $7 and talking with guys around my age. I played against Justin Smoak once in HS and we come from the same area and he and i would talk just about every game. Players are a lot more accesible and the reason i became a collector was to have a piece of my favorite players, not to invest $20 in a baseball go to a show pay 80 for a arrogant player to sign it and say next in line. That's a horrible memory of meeting a person, and thats what i think of everytime i look at that ball.

Kind of went on a rant here, but felt like I might have a different perspective.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See laurel3049's Items on eBay

The difference between memorabilia/autos and any other type of hobby is that some consider this trade a novelty. What I'm trying to say is that if you were to compare it to other hobbies, like say collecting stamps or vinyl records (my other love), not many people will collect a couple of pieces. It's usually either all-in or nothing. However, it's different with sports memorabilia. I know tons of people who have less than 5 signatures in their house, some even 1 or 2, because it is something that a vast majority of people can enjoy. Even though the market is flooded right now, and probably won't get any better, what sports fan wouldn't want an Ichiro baseball or Larry Bird basketball sitting on their bookshelf? It's a very accessible hobby. That's why it is still thriving.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See xSquatx's Items on eBay

I like TTM and IP autos.
    Especially personalized because you know that they actually read your letter and appreciate your letters.

I want to sell all my cards so I can buy 8x10s/stamps for TTM.