Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Maple Leafs
    See thehip_022's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Suggestion for a must send first deal ...

Basically i am looking at making a fairly expensive purchase on another forum with a must send first member ( do to low feedback ) . I am wondering if somebody as a suggestion on how to make the deal work .. he wants paid for his cards first ( can't blame him ) and i have no reason to believe he is a scammer . Just wondering how you guys would make it work and would you just pay with paypal and hope they save your money if the deal does happen to go sour .

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

Your fully protected with Paypal are you not?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

If his feedback is low and he can't provide some other sort of references from other sites I would NEVER pay first. He can easily withdraw the money from his paypal and remove his banking info from the account, In such a case, paypal can't protect you. Make him play by the rules or it's on you.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

You are astute if you follow the rules. Do you have any idea how many people have been kicked-off of this site because they would not follow the sending rules when they were NEW?

Hundreds. Don't take the bait. Make this person send first.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Maple Leafs
    See thehip_022's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If his feedback is low and he can't provide some other sort of references from other sites I would NEVER pay first. He can easily withdraw the money from his paypal and remove his banking info from the account, In such a case, paypal can't protect you. Make him play by the rules or it's on you.

This is what i was concerned about

SCF Rewards
    Country

In this case, the buyer would still be protected by Paypal. Their buyer protection will pay the funds back to the buyer, and they will work on recovering funds from the seller through whatever channels. This happened recently over on another big card forum and everyone got their money back despite the seller making off with the cash.

I understand the MSF tag when it comes to trades, but I'd be loathe to send first on any deal over a certain amount no matter the rules. You are covered, but if you're still concerned then maybe a middleman would be agreeable to both parties?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

In this case, the buyer would still be protected by Paypal. Their buyer protection will pay the funds back to the buyer, and they will work on recovering funds from the seller through whatever channels. This happened recently over on another big card forum and everyone got their money back despite the seller making off with the cash.

The problem is that Paypal has in its Terms of Service that the recovery is limited to whatever they can get. There are devious ways to create a Paypal account so that the scammer can get their money before you make a claim.

On the other side of the story, you could try this. Send the money wait 4 days, then initiate a claim. I think for US people it takes 5 days to move the money, so a claim on the 4th day should theoretically lock the money to their account. As long as you pay in the end, you'd just pissed off your trading partner, but you are pretty much fully protected there.

Alternatively, post the trade with escrow (SCF has this feature in a sub forum), but your trading partner still might not agree.

This happened to me once. There was a guy on SCF who wanted to sell me about 300$ worth of cards but had a MSF tag. These were cards I really wanted and the person refused to send first withoutgetting paid. In the end, I said screw it. Never sent the money. The guy got pissed, decided to leave the site. Good riddance. Some people feel so entitled that they should be above, exempt or safe from the rules. You know what though? I don't trade only to get cards. I trade to deal with good people who are nice and pleasant to deal with. If I'm not happy with both cards and experience, then why am I doing this trade?

<- 600+ trades on SCF. Never lost out to a scam. Listening to that MSF tag saved me on at least 3+ occasions when the other person actually turned out to be a scammer by bilking other members on the site.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

You are covered fully no matter what by PayPal. I got $7000 back after a scam. The seller had emptied the account and was long gone, but PayPal paid me. Just don't send pp gift, you aren't protected with a gift payment!

SCF Rewards
    Country

The problem is that Paypal has in its Terms of Service that the recovery is limited to whatever they can get. There are devious ways to create a Paypal account so that the scammer can get their money before you make a claim.

I don't believe this is the case any longer.

As sjw posted above, they will cover the funds themselves if they're unable to recover from the seller. I've seen this happen on a few occasions now, as people move from scamming buyers to scamming Paypal itself.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

As this is a private issue involving another trade site, posting the comment in this forum isn't really appropriate. Matters such as this are best dealt with in a private fashion, ie. consulting with friends/colleagues.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content