Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@raisingsienna Instagram:

Didn't you make a post about how sending 8x10's was too expensive? Definitely not cheap to do ROMLB.

I decided to do 12 balls...no more. I want to have a few. I'm also doing some 8x10s, but this is def not cheap. I've prob spent too much as is!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Looking forward to seeing how you do. Your list definitely varies from what I would do with 12, but that is part of what makes this fun. From my experience the old timers are usually really good and a few bucks goes a long way with players that are still with us from the 1950's and 1960's! That Trout price made my jaw drop as I could not imagine paying that for an active player! I am a Reds fan and I am sure that I could get a Bench, Morgan, Perez and Rose signed baseball for less than what Trout asks for a signed one!!! Best of luck!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Looking forward to seeing how you do. Your list definitely varies from what I would do with 12, but that is part of what makes this fun. From my experience the old timers are usually really good and a few bucks goes a long way with players that are still with us from the 1950's and 1960's! That Trout price made my jaw drop as I could not imagine paying that for an active player! I am a Reds fan and I am sure that I could get a Bench, Morgan, Perez and Rose signed baseball for less than what Trout asks for a signed one!!! Best of luck!

@indyreds would love to hear who you'd choose for the 12 balls. Might give me some ideas. Agreed..:that Trout price is friggin ridiculous!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ok. So far sent out balls to Kershaw and O'Neill. Can go in lots of directions. I know Mussina is probably my only definite right now which leaves me with 9 other balls. Who to try?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

You asked and I will give you a few ideas of who I would shoot for:

1. Bobby Doerr - HOF and may just be the best signer TTM ever!
    2. Steve Garvey - Legend and part of the best infield ever with the Dodgers!
    3. Will Clark - Legend and best swing I have ever seen! Will the Thrill we needed more years from you!
    4. Wade Boggs - HOF Ummm yeah this guy and Tony Gwynn were must see hitters in my youth!
    5. Adrian Beltre - Current player who should become a HOF member and seems like he has been playing since well the start of time!
    6. Juan Gonzalez - Love the longball? Then you have to love Juan Gone! Igor is a 2x MVP!!! Dale Murphy might be another idea as well.
    7. Jim Bunning - Not just with his baseball past, but with political service it hits two collections!
    8. Tony LaRussa - HOF- What can you say he managed some amazing teams!
    9. Raisel Iglesias - Yeah I know some will say not to waste on a young player, but what an arm and get him now while he signs!
    10. Carl Erskine - Gives an amazing stat ball and if you have not read his baseball books they are great reads!
    11. Bobby Shantz - 1952 Al MVP is 90 years old and has always been amazing to fans! Had you asked a year ago I would have said Al Rosen as well!
    12. Wally Moon - 1954 ROY award winner will cost a few dollar fee, but remember these old guys got paid little to play! Bill Virdon 1955 ROY and long time MLB manager signs for free if you do not want to spring the few dollars.

There are so many ways to go and none will be wrong as long as you are happy with them! I would suggest if you have a favorite team to go after former players there! I know as a Reds fan guys like Tom Browning would mean a lot to me and all teams have this type of former legends who sign. Pick a theme and go for that like former MVPs, Cy Youngs, ROYs or guys who lead the league in HRs, stolen bases, threw no-hitters you pick it and have some fun. There are tons of players who were once huge stars who now sign Willie McGee, Juan Samuel and Dave Rigetti are just a few. I know I grabbed and 1953 reprint set of Topps a few years ago and sent to many of those guys who were still with us and added a card and an index card with a question... I was shocked at just how many of those guys not only signed my cards, but took time to answer questions on my index cards as well. The same time I also found a list of living former Brooklyn Dodgers and was thrilled to add many of those guys to my collection.

You want a fun idea of what to do with a dozen baseballs? Let me link you to a list of guys who stretch back to the Golden Age of the game, of guys who played with and against Mantle, Mays, Musial and Koufax. To me loving the history of the game there are guys who really stand out on the list like Ned Garver - Read up on him and his days with the St Louis Browns and you will see how great he was! Eddie Robinson was a star in his day. Ralph Branca was part of one of the best pitching staffs ever! Here is the fun list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...seball_players

I have no right to tell you who to send to and my thoughts can be taken with a true grain of salt, but I will leave you with the thoughts of saying the only way you loose out is by not sending. Looking forward to seeing who you mail to and how it goes.

Should you be a huge fan of the history of baseball and already know the answer to this it will not shock you, but if not look up how many MVP awards Babe Ruth won! Yes, they had the award when he played and look to find out why he won that number! You can have so much fun with folks if you want to argue about all time bests with the answer to how many MVPs he won! Remember Bonds had 7 MVPs!
    Last edited by indyreds; 09-10-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling

SCF Rewards
    Country

Don't send to Kaline... He won't do baseballs TTM right now. Some other non HOF that I have researched and received TTM are Dick Groat, Vern Law, Roy Sievers, Bobby Richardson and ElRoy Face. Look them up and see what you think. Little to no donation needed and they answer questions (if you want to go that route). Don Newcombe is another non HOF but he requires a fee. Andrew Jones is a more recent retiree that is currently signing as well.

I thought I was pretty knowledgable about baseball history before I started doing TTM requests, but after really getting into it you learn to appreciate the careers and things these guys went through.
    Last edited by RED BARON TX; 09-10-2016 at 10:48 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jimmyz86's Items on eBay

Had a thought for you. While these will have to wait until next season with the minor league season winding down, I've had a few good successes from top prospects that would be worth sending a baseball to:

1) Christian Arroyo - SF Giants #1 prospect/#84 MLB prospect has signed twice for me this year, including a ball. He seems to be one of the best MILB signers out there and judging by his numbers so far, he should be a solid major leaguer.
    2) Jorge Alfaro - Phillies #4 prospect/#61 top MLB prospect. Same as above, has signed a card and ball on different occasions for me this year. He was one of the main players involved in the Cole Hamels trade with Texas, so you can tell he's expected to do big things.
    3) Amed Rosario - Mets #1 prospect/#13 MLB prospect has signed two cards on separate occasions for me this year. I'll probably send a ball next year. He's supposed to be the next start Major League short stop.
    4) Lewis Brinson - Brewers #2 prospect/#16 MLB prospect returned a card I sent to him when he was with the Texas Rangers AA affiliate earlier this year. I figured it was a lost cause when he was traded to the Brewers (one of the main players traded for Jonathan Lucroy), but it just came back a few days ago. Again, he should be a solid outfielder for many years.
    5) Mitch Keller - Pirates #5 prospect/ #77 MLB prospect signed a card for me with a quick turnaround during the season.

These are the MLB Top 100 guys I've gotten back this year. I've received several on teams' top 30 lists as well, which I can list if you're interested. While these guys are a little more of a risk as far as whether they'll become solid Major Leaguers, their futures look promising and it can be a good time to get them before they get overrun with mail.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Don't send to Kaline... He won't do baseballs TTM right now. Some other non HOF that I have researched and received TTM are Dick Groat, Vern Law, Roy Sievers, Bobby Richardson and ElRoy Face. Look them up and see what you think. Little to no donation needed and they answer questions (if you want to go that route). Don Newcombe is another non HOF but he requires a fee. Andrew Jones is a more recent retiree that is currently signing as well.

I thought I was pretty knowledgable about baseball history before I started doing TTM requests, but after really getting into it you learn to appreciate the careers and things these guys went through.

Kaline doesn't sign balls right now? Ok. I have 2 8x10s. I'll send him those.

Not an Andruw Jones fan. If anything I'll send him a card. Thanks for the info!

Richardson and Groat I've thought about, but I don't know.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You asked and I will give you a few ideas of who I would shoot for:

1. Bobby Doerr - HOF and may just be the best signer TTM ever!
    2. Steve Garvey - Legend and part of the best infield ever with the Dodgers!
    3. Will Clark - Legend and best swing I have ever seen! Will the Thrill we needed more years from you!
    4. Wade Boggs - HOF Ummm yeah this guy and Tony Gwynn were must see hitters in my youth!
    5. Adrian Beltre - Current player who should become a HOF member and seems like he has been playing since well the start of time!
    6. Juan Gonzalez - Love the longball? Then you have to love Juan Gone! Igor is a 2x MVP!!! Dale Murphy might be another idea as well.
    7. Jim Bunning - Not just with his baseball past, but with political service it hits two collections!
    8. Tony LaRussa - HOF- What can you say he managed some amazing teams!
    9. Raisel Iglesias - Yeah I know some will say not to waste on a young player, but what an arm and get him now while he signs!
    10. Carl Erskine - Gives an amazing stat ball and if you have not read his baseball books they are great reads!
    11. Bobby Shantz - 1952 Al MVP is 90 years old and has always been amazing to fans! Had you asked a year ago I would have said Al Rosen as well!
    12. Wally Moon - 1954 ROY award winner will cost a few dollar fee, but remember these old guys got paid little to play! Bill Virdon 1955 ROY and long time MLB manager signs for free if you do not want to spring the few dollars.

There are so many ways to go and none will be wrong as long as you are happy with them! I would suggest if you have a favorite team to go after former players there! I know as a Reds fan guys like Tom Browning would mean a lot to me and all teams have this type of former legends who sign. Pick a theme and go for that like former MVPs, Cy Youngs, ROYs or guys who lead the league in HRs, stolen bases, threw no-hitters you pick it and have some fun. There are tons of players who were once huge stars who now sign Willie McGee, Juan Samuel and Dave Rigetti are just a few. I know I grabbed and 1953 reprint set of Topps a few years ago and sent to many of those guys who were still with us and added a card and an index card with a question... I was shocked at just how many of those guys not only signed my cards, but took time to answer questions on my index cards as well. The same time I also found a list of living former Brooklyn Dodgers and was thrilled to add many of those guys to my collection.

You want a fun idea of what to do with a dozen baseballs? Let me link you to a list of guys who stretch back to the Golden Age of the game, of guys who played with and against Mantle, Mays, Musial and Koufax. To me loving the history of the game there are guys who really stand out on the list like Ned Garver - Read up on him and his days with the St Louis Browns and you will see how great he was! Eddie Robinson was a star in his day. Ralph Branca was part of one of the best pitching staffs ever! Here is the fun list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...seball_players

I have no right to tell you who to send to and my thoughts can be taken with a true grain of salt, but I will leave you with the thoughts of saying the only way you loose out is by not sending. Looking forward to seeing who you mail to and how it goes.

Should you be a huge fan of the history of baseball and already know the answer to this it will not shock you, but if not look up how many MVP awards Babe Ruth won! Yes, they had the award when he played and look to find out why he won that number! You can have so much fun with folks if you want to argue about all time bests with the answer to how many MVPs he won! Remember Bonds had 7 MVPs!

Have to say I'd go Boggs out all the guys on your list. Like O'Neill and Mussina (went out today), he means something to me. 1996. Being a HOFer is just gravy. I'd love Jeter and Bernie and Mariano out of the Core 5 (dammit! Bernie was just as important and won 4 WS! Why isn't he part of the group!), but they're next to impossible. I chose Kershaw because this is what it must have been like to watch Sandy Koufax. This is baseball history right here, right now. I sent Righetti some cards. Maybe I'd do an 8x10, but I don't think I'd do a ball. I liked him as a Yankee, but he was never one of my favs. The 80s are so tough. Ugh. Paul Zuvella, Bobby Meacham. I want to forget them. I would LOVE Mattingly, however. Love, love, love! I have my fav player ever (Winfield) on a ball, bat and 8x10. Plus I got to do a baseball clinic with him! Guidry, maybe. Goose. I think Goose gets one.

I feel a sort of guilt in that I'm supposed to go the HOFer route - Dawson, Sutter, Blyleven - those sort of guys, but even though they were of my era, I was never a huge fan. Never liked Dawson. Don't know why.

I decided to get Doerr on an 8x10. Sent that out awhile ago. I feel like I'm supposed to get Whitey Ford because he's as close to Mantle and Maris and that whole era, but 40 bucks is a lot. I think Beltre will get a ball, but I already sent him 2 cards and 2 8x10s. My best friend and I used to talk about him when he was coming up...predicting a HOF career. His defense is nuts.

Niekro...of my era but he was always kind of boring. I did attend his first try at 300 wins. It was against the Jays. I remember that vividly. So he's possible.

Ripken is another one I'd love to get, but that's just a dream. Same w/ Griffey and Chipper. They transcended the sport.

I think Sandberg is a possibility.

Vlad Guerrero is one I'd like. His hitting ability was crazy.

Then of course there's Aaron, Mays. Frank Robinson, Koufax, McCovey, Schmidt, Reggie, Brett, Eckersley, Ozzie, Randy Johnson, Maddux, but they'll never happen.

And then there are today's stars. Arenado, Altuve, Harper, Trout, Bryant (I want Trout and Bryant), who am I missing? Miggy Cabrera. Would want some of them, but it seems like it can't be done.

I would have done the prospect thing w/ guys like Bryant, Correa, etc, but this current group doesn't impress me as much as they did.

No clue who gets the next 9. Boggs, Sandberg, Goose are likely. Trammell?

I'm loving all of your opinions. Keep them coming!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Bulls

One cool thing I might try on a ball is Robert Redford. He seems to sign pretty well TTM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast