Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

If you take the time to search you can find that he has made the comment about playing in Montreal more than once, all the way back to this interview with Sportsnet in 2015. If you need help finding a more recent statement let me know. He still want so attempt a run at the goal record before playing one final year of hockey with Dynamo.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...lay-canadiens/

So you pull up an article from 6 years ago? How about this one from May, 2 months ago, or this one from a day later, both coming from his media availability after the Caps were ousted from the playoffs this past Spring.

That article you brought up also had a lot of what ifs, making it more of a click baity article, even if it had quotes in it. "Yeah, but what if..??!" If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Seattle has a blank slate, right... Why not sign Ovi and then trade the #2 overall pick to pick up Jack Eichel from Buffalo? Seattle is one of the few teams to have the cap space to make a big splash, so why not go for it?

Because this would make absolutely no sense for the Sabres unless there is a 3rd team ready to pony up more assets for Ovie. Seattle is not going to give up the #2 pick and have their 1st ever pick be in the 2nd round - yes, its more symbolic, but is something. Lastly, Ovie to the Sabres makes no sense unless he's playing with Eichel.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Because this would make absolutely no sense for the Sabres unless there is a 3rd team ready to pony up more assets for Ovie. Seattle is not going to give up the #2 pick and have their 1st ever pick be in the 2nd round - yes, its more symbolic, but is something. Lastly, Ovie to the Sabres makes no sense unless he's playing with Eichel.

I don't think he was suggesting Ovie & the #2 for Eichel.... just the #2 for Eichel (or a package built around the #2).

Conceivably the Kraken could put together a team of Tarasenko, Ovechkin, Price, some kind of star center (like Eichel) they got for the #2 pick, plus lots of other decent stuff that various teams have made available.

I don't think it's likely. I don't think Vegas believed they were building a contender when they drafted that team - but they did.

I Seattle much more likely to overload on goalies and/or defense (especially defense) and then trade off some of those assets right after the draft.

It's likely you'll see them end up with multiple first round picks this year & next year, rather than a "go for it" type move.

As for Ovechkin: I suspect he'll stay put. That seems to be what everyone believes. He'll hit UFA, but there's already a handshake agreement in place for another 4 or 5 years... decent money... and a full NMC.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

@scottkoz20 you could have left out "unless he's playing with Eichel" and still been accurate.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Buffalo's asking price for Eichel is significantly higher than a single draft pick, no matter how high in a particularly weak draft class. Read this morning that they're looking for four assets, any combination of roster players, picks, and prospects. But preferably two roster players.

this has been known for months around these parts. Effectively a deal would like the following (and have been rumored - take it for what its worth)

w/ NYR - 1st in 2021 and 2022, Kappo Kakko and Filip Chytil

w/ LAK - 1st in 2021, Gabe Vilardi, Rasmus Kupari (buffalo needs more Rasmuses), Quinton Byfield (Turcotte potentially in place of one of the 3) - arguabily the Kings have the most young asset to part with

w/ Ana - #3 pick and a 2022 1st, Max Jones and Trevor Zegras OR Jamie Drysdale

w/ CBJ - #5 pick and 2022 1st, Liam Foudy, Elvis OR Joonas (i've also heard humblings of Laine, but CBJ trades for Eichel to play with Laine)

w/ MIN - 2021 1st, Matt Boldy, Marco Rossi, Calen Addison

NONE of these are happening at the moment (and I'm a Sabre fan) - but there will be a team that will pony up at least a 1st, a roster player, top end prospect and potential another asset

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

@scottkoz20 you could have left out "unless he's playing with Eichel" and still been accurate.

touche.PNG

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I Seattle much more likely to overload on goalies and/or defense (especially defense) and then trade off some of those assets right after the draft.

I completely agree - I can see them weaponizing 2-3 goalies to immediately trade for other assets - Vanecek, Kakkonen are the easy 2 that I can see this potential for, especially if they select Price and sign Drieger (which could happen today?!?). Detroit and Buffalo absolutely need help in net right now (sorry fellow Sabre fans - I'm not ready to get UPL killed being the #1)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

I don't think it's likely. I don't think Vegas believed they were building a contender when they drafted that team - but they did.

I think a lot of GMs learned from what McPhee did with Vegas, though. I don't think the same quality of players has been made available in this expansion draft and a lot of the 'best' assets are UFAs. I also think a lot of GMs learned that 'protecting' assets by throwing multiple assets at a team wasn't sound business. Anaheim gave Vegas Shea Theodore to look the other way on Sami Vatanen or Josh Manson and take Clayton Stoner. There were a number of examples where teams overpaid to protect presumed better players. I don't think it's going to be as easy for Seattle.

Everyone posited that Vegas would hoard picks and trade afterwards, but it didn't happen. GMs were too happy to send assets for air prior to the expansion draft and Vegas didn't need to hoard anything. Like I said, I think GMs have gotten savvy and you won't see it this year. A couple of teams left 1 diamond in the rough exposed, but I think Seattle has to choose a path different from Vegas to be successful. Everyone knows what was in that cookbook.

That said, the 2021 draft class isn't particularly strong and, maybe, a couple teams like an exposed player better than what they are going to get...

this has been known for months around these parts. Effectively a deal would like the following (and have been rumored - take it for what its worth)

w/ NYR - 1st in 2021 and 2022, Kappo Kakko and Filip Chytil

w/ LAK - 1st in 2021, Gabe Vilardi, Rasmus Kupari (buffalo needs more Rasmuses), Quinton Byfield (Turcotte potentially in place of one of the 3) - arguabily the Kings have the most young asset to part with

w/ Ana - #3 pick and a 2022 1st, Max Jones and Trevor Zegras OR Jamie Drysdale

w/ CBJ - #5 pick and 2022 1st, Liam Foudy, Elvis OR Joonas (i've also heard humblings of Laine, but CBJ trades for Eichel to play with Laine)

w/ MIN - 2021 1st, Matt Boldy, Marco Rossi, Calen Addison

NONE of these are happening at the moment (and I'm a Sabre fan) - but there will be a team that will pony up at least a 1st, a roster player, top end prospect and potential another asset

Buffalo has to shoot the moon, right. But they're ultimately looking for return on a former #2 pick that wants out.

It doesn't help that he hasn't significantly outplayed his draft contemporaries (if at all). Marner has more points and better ppg, Aho and Rantanen are both right there, too. The list of teams who can take on a $10M cap for 5 more years is not a long list, either.

Buffalo could do a lot worse than the #2 pick in 2021, Seattle's 2nd round in 2022, and 1-2 expansion draftees... Seattle wouldn't even entertain that if they can't sign somebody to play with him.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So you pull up an article from 6 years ago? How about this one from May, 2 months ago, or this one from a day later, both coming from his media availability after the Caps were ousted from the playoffs this past Spring.

That article you brought up also had a lot of what ifs, making it more of a click baity article, even if it had quotes in it. "Yeah, but what if..??!" If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

You asked for the proof and he actually first said it over 10 years ago, including his plan to play his last year of hockey in the KHL. If that upsets you maybe you should consider a different sport to follow.
    Last edited by piper1; 07-20-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Adam Larsson signs a 4x4 deal with the Kraken, making him their selection from the Edmonton Oilers.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast