Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Are we misunderstood as card collectors?

I originally saw this posted in the Baseball forum by @crankbait09 ( Link to the original thread discussion here ) and thought it would be a great thread to feature in the Hockey Forum. I think it was an important topic to bring into discussion, since card collecting has such a big reach that involves many sports (and collectors!) across the globe.

I found his original thread opener quite interesting, and I've bolded some of the bigger questions below:

As a collector/trader/seller of baseball cards, I have come across a lot of people over the years that just don't understand the hobby, and why it is still a "thing" now that we are not kids.

Many many times, If I mention baseball cards, or if I ask another baseball fan if they collect cards, I get the same response "ya, when I was like 12". Everyone that sees me always shakes their head and has no understanding of why I did it or why I do it after my childhood years. No one can believe that as an adult, that I am still involved. I don't quite understand what the big deal is with it. It's just another hobby of many that one could partake in.

Why are baseball cards/trading labeled as a kids hobby? What about us adults?

What brought all this up.......This morning, I had a card in my hand, here at work, that I was taking to the post office to mail off in a trade. One of the girls here asked what I was mailing. So I told her. She was in complete shock and found it humorous that I, as an adult, was "trading cards". With her being in her mid 20's, she even made the comment about not being a kid anymore.

So this brings me to a poll question....... why are we judged as adults when it comes to card collecting. (at least me anyways)

Some great questions for sure.

So with all that being said, have you ever faced a similar situation when collecting hockey cards?

Are you "judged" when it comes to card collecting?

Feel free to answer any of the questions mentioned or bolded above with your own thoughts/opinions. Thanks!
    Last edited by creasecollector; 06-24-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Colorado Avalanche Denver Broncos
    See avaholic8's Items on eBay

Most men that I show my cards to think they're cool, but when they hear about the prices that are being paid for them it can raise some eyebrows and I've had my judgment called into question. They didn't say anything about it being a kid's hobby.

Every woman that has seen the cards has basically laughed and can't understand it. They do think its childish. Honestly this had made me reconsider collecting cards/autographs on several occasions. I think when you're a kid and you're collecting cards of a player you admire/idolize than its understandable that you would look up to someone you see as a role model, but once you become an adult and you're continuing to admire/idolize men that are sometimes younger than you then a lot of women might consider that a bit pathetic.

Its harsh but I get it too, sometimes I'll be looking at a guys card who's 5 years younger than me and admire his accomplishments, but then start reflecting on myself and realize I'm just sitting around admiring guys who are younger than me yet have accomplished so much more; I might be getting too deep into this but I'm kind of curious if anyone else feels like this sometimes.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See darbscard88's Items on eBay Instagram:

I have been lucky not to have experienced much of this. My wife admittedly thinks it's a bit bizzaire but has no issue with it and even opens packs with me and stuff. I was a bit worried about what her family, mainly her dad would think, but it turns out that his childhood best friend is more into card then me so he didn't find it odd at all.

Bottom line if you enjoy it, who cares what others think. Anyone that would seriously judge you for collecting sports cards isn't worth your time. There are a lot worse things you could be spending your time and money on. Drugs, gambling, strippers (debatable) lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Colorado Avalanche Denver Broncos
    See avaholic8's Items on eBay

If I were married or older I would definitely be more comfortable with it. I'm single in my late 20's so I tend to worry too much about what women think of it and how it reflects on me, plus the feedback I've gotten from women about it has never been positive. I agree someone who seriously judges me about it wouldn't be worth my time but I can also see how someone who doesn't know me very well would be less likely to see past it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

If you break anything down to its simplest form any hobby looks stupid. Why spend a month knitting that quilt? I can buy a blanket at Walmart for $10. I think people are more accepting of these sorts of things now, however. I know adults that collect comics, dolls and action figures. The world is becoming a more and more messed up place nowadays, and having a hobby to escape into is a very good thing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

If I were married or older I would definitely be more comfortable with it. I'm single in my late 20's so I tend to worry too much about what women think of it and how it reflects on me, plus the feedback I've gotten from women about it has never been positive. I agree someone who seriously judges me about it wouldn't be worth my time but I can also see how someone who doesn't know me very well would be less likely to see past it.

I just recently turned 21. I don't really say I collect cards. I say that I collect autographs and I haven't ever really seen anyone say anything negative. I actually get oh really that's cool. But my room is full of cards on shelves and Pittsburgh sports posters and such all over my wall. I feel a little weird about having girls come to my house because of it but its never been an issue. The couple of times my buddies would come over they think its pretty cool, the autographed cards not the sports illustrated for kids posters I have everywhere lol.

That's my advice anyways. Say you collect autographs and you'll feel more comfortable with it.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates
    See shortprinted's Items on eBay Instagram:

Well card collecting is hardly priced for kids. In fact, I think the hobby is more suited for adults now than it is for kids. Just look at all the hits only products that cost several hundred dollars. We also didn't have ebay growing up to complete sets or sell good stuff. We had flea markets, card shows, and whatever guys would set up shop in the middle of the mall. With all the digital fun kids have these days, opening cards and appreciating them enough to inventory and store them properly is a lost art. I am teaching it to both of my boys the best I can. We do regular trips to the card store/online breaks and checklist/box everything up. All of the good stuff goes in our display cabinets for show. My youngest even pulled us a 1/1 Jerome Bettis out of Classics a few weeks ago.

If I could grow up loving overproduced 90's junk, my kids can surely get into pulling several autographs out of a hobby box. But we do it together and hopefully they will continue that with their kids too.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

You just need to find one like I did whose folks owned a card/comic book store when she was a teenager, she's not a fan of the time/money, but at least she "understands" the idea of it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Never saw the baseball thread, so I'll comment on this one. I collected a ton when I was a kid back in the late 80's-90's, then late teens to mid/late 20's I was chasing girls and partying way too much! I still would buy a pack here and there, but would still go to shows for autographs. Then I got back into the hobby in my late 20's (now 37) and my wife is very accepting (she has her own damn expensive hobbies!!).

But back to the topic, I understand how some of you feel. Most of my close friends and family know I still collect and get autographs, but outside of that I really don't tell too many people. I've told people at work that I go for the autographs at shows or go to look at memorabilia. I also go to the local minor league team for autographs and the city is so small that you typically run into people. At times, I feel somewhat embarrassed and shame myself thinking it's a kids hobby. If I'm pulling into a parking lot either for a show or chasing autographs, I'm always like what am I doing here, I could be doing something else. However, I enjoy it and that is all that matters. I'm spending my time and money on it, not theirs.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I used to flip beanie babies when they were popular and used to have tons of them in my room. I had a few girls over to party (when the parents were out of town) who saw them and made fun of me. My one friend even shamed me, until we went to a Hallmark and flipped them that weekend for a $120 profit lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast