Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Why Don't We Have "_____-Sanity" in Hockey Cards?

I was reflecting on the recent (ish) trends in basketball and football that we've seen in the past season or so, in which players went from relatively unknowns to hobby mega-stars virtually overnight. I'm of course referring to Jeremy Lin and Colin Kaepernick in their respective sports.

Lin was a guy that you could get his cards for next to nothing - he wasn't on the Knicks starting five until an injury forced his recall from their affiliate team, and even then he was just used sparingly until one magical night. Then he pretty much singlehandedly carried them to a winning streak and his hobby values went thermonuclear. The craze of Linsanity went on for about six weeks until he got injured, but in the meantime it was a huge injection to the basketball hobby and a lot of people got very rich selling cards that were in a commons bin only weeks before.

For Kaepernick, he was the back-up to an established #1 QB in San Francisco that had led his team efficiently to the NFC Championship Game the previous season and had guided the 49ers to a 6-2 start. Then Alex Smith got injured, and Kaepernick took over the helm. He was excellent in his first NFL start and the Niners demolished the Bears. He led the team to a second place finish in the NFC and took them all the way to the Super Bowl. All along his values climbed exponentially as fans hoped to get in on his cards anticipating a Super Bowl victory that would lead Kaepernick to the elite of the hobby along with Aaron Rodgers and other young players that made an immediate impact and took their team to a championship.

All of this begs the question - why don't we have similar explosions in hockey? There have been short-term boosts to key playoff performers like Jaro Halak in 2010 or Jonathan Quick this past year, but there has never been a true explosion of a player's values that has been sustained or anywhere near as prolific as it has been in the other sports.

Is this just because the hockey market is so much smaller and that the sport itself isn't as popular in the US?

Thoughts?
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Didn't gagner score a bunch of goals in one night last year causing his value to skyrocket for five days?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think part of it is that most hockey collectors are pretty specific in what they buy in the first place & don't jump on the bandwagons as fast & hard as you see in other sports.

BANNED

Country

I do find it a little strange how few modern day hockey cards hit $1000. I remember profitting off the Varlamov craze a couple years ago, but nothing like the Kaepernick or Lin craze. I sold a Lin RC /499 for over $100 and a bunch of common Kaep Topps RC for $5+ a piece. I think Fritz is right on this, I mean people don't really "prospect" in hockey. I don't think where the sport is popular has anything to do with it, because there can be Canadian buyers that act crazy haha, because the sport in Canada is almost more popular in a way then football here. The collecting aspect is just different. I wish hockey cards had that gold mine product like the other sports do, but a lot of people will agree that the most value in cards is in hockey. Just not the biggest "gold" card if you will.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Didn't gagner score a bunch of goals in one night last year causing his value to skyrocket for five days?

Dave Gagner in the 90's? Yes. Same thing with Boosh. When Boosh set the modern equivalent of Shutouts in a row, people went Berserk for his cards. I had 5 Mexican Select Rookies that were fetching .25 cents if you could sell them, then one week later I sold them all for over $8.00 each. I believe the original BV was $2.00 - $3.00

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

I think it's "hype" value. Especially with Baseball, Basketball, and NFL Football. Those three sports are widely covered on US networks, that a larger audience takes in all the banter when someone explodes with talent, and can virtually prop someone up overnight. Hockey doesn't get that kind of exposure, so not much hype is given to anyone. At the same time consistency plays a part. When Sam Gagner had his good night last year, did he go on to pile up a ton more points after that? No! So then hype was short lived.

Now only if we could just get CFL Football in the mix...... Then there's hope for Curling!!!!
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Now only if we could just get CFL Football in the mix...... Then there's hope for Curling!!!!

don't forget darts!

BANNED

Country

don't forget darts!

One Hundred and Eighty !!!! Yesssssssssssssss.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

Oh YES!

I would definitely make a card for that British guy that yells that out!

BANNED

Country

Oh YES!

I would definitely make a card for that British guy that yells that out!

16, Double Top for the Win ............... Yesssssssssssssss !!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast