Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

UD SP Buyback Auto - Duplicates?

Did Upper Deck have backups/duplicates of autographed cards?

The reason I ask is I saw this on Turco_cards' instagram page, posted on March 22. UD SP Buyback Pavel Bure #2/16

I also have an UD SP Buyback Pavel Bure auto #2/16:

I couldn't begin to tell you what year I bought mine. My ebay emails only go back to 2007 and this card didn't come up in the searching of them.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Probably just an employee hand-numbering error on their part. It's happened before.

It can also happen with machines when they serial number cards as well. It's not a big deal.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

1999-00 SP Authentic Buyback Signatures #8 Pavel Bure 96SP
    Attribute(s): Att: AU, S# /16
    Could it be the same card signed in two different years:

2000-01 SP Authentic BuyBacks #39 Pavel Bure

SCF Rewards
    Country

You're probably right about it just being human error since it's handwritten. There were a few different Bure cards I used to track on ebay just to see if all of them had surfaced from packs, and this card was one of them. Your comment got me to dig through my old hard drive looking for the pictures I copied from ebay, blogs, photobuckets, etc. just to see if it happened with any other number. I (very poorly) tried to put them altogether in one picture. After seeing them this way, I find it kind of interesting that the numbering on some is larger and on the photo part of the card, while the others are smaller and on the border. Oh well, it was something to do while being stuck at home.

This is the collage I made from the pictures I saved. I know numbers 3/16 and 14/16 are out of the packs, as I made a note of the sellers on ebay, but I can't find the pictures of them.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Could it be the same card signed in two different years:

2000-01 SP Authentic BuyBacks #39 Pavel Bure

That very well could be. I didn't know they did two years of the buybacks #'ed to 16.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

@mingus_md could be definitely onto something here. Having the same card as a BuyBack auto in multiple years makes sense as to why there would be two #2/16 copies of the same card. I think that's it.

The hand-written serial number placement could indicate what year these BuyBack autographed cards were released, since one serial number is written within Bure's action shot, while the other is located on the card border.

Great archive of images, too! Impressive!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

Upper Deck has done buyback autos in a number of different products over the years. Off the top of my head, I believe 204-05 SPA plus two actual Buyback products. It's most likely these are from two different products. Why they would use a card they used previously, or even serial number to the same copies I don't get.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I suspect, as suggested above, that the cards numbered along the bottom are from a different set than those numbered by the picture. It would seem odd that UD would use different locations on a single run. I get that UD would hand number cards if they were replaced, but would this many of these be replaced? UD quality control needs to shake their heads.