Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cards of yesterday

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jschminkey28's Items on eBay

The cards of yesterday

Personally i really cant stand gamed used or autos i feel like they ruin the whole industry and heres why. I can remember back in the day goin to my local card shop with my dad with allowance in hand buying packs and packs of 93-94 ultra. Excitement isnt even the word i could describe opening every pack receiving an insert in every pack or a rookie card! I remember going to school the next day with my michael jordan scoring kings insert and my 2 penny hardaway rookies flashing them in all my friends faces and how they were all amazed that i had a card worth so much. (i think the jordan then was only like 40 dollars) Nowadays i feel like its all about the game used or auto and rookie cards and regular inserts arent worth so much which kinda makes me not even want to collect It takes a fat wallet nowadays to get the big hits which doesnt exactly strike to me fun and some of the asking prices are certainly rediculous! Where were the days when you could go to the store with 20 dollars, buy some of your favorite player or packs and then have your friends dying to trade them away to them? I feel like only thing ppl collect now are game used and auto, oh well i guess everyone has their own knack for something in the hobby,anyone else feel this way?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See glaspi2's Items on eBay

A lot of people say that they wish cards were more like they were back a few decades ago. I am definitely not one of them though, I really like the autos and the game used stuff. What I really think the problem is now is complete lack of creativity. What I wish would happen is a combination of the modern era of cards mixed with the great looking sets of the 90s like finest, flair, flair showcase, spx, Ex, etc. Imagine the likes of a Derrick Rose finest embossed gold refractor auto, or a Kevin Durant flair showcase card with an on card silver ink signature. They would look amazing. The people making cards now just lack the imagination to create something new worth seeing. In the case for basketball, Panini is content on making the same stuff over and over again and packaging it with a different name. This is really what I think is killing our hobby.

People can still collect just rcs and inserts if that's what they like. They're still there, and they can be had for pennies since most people nowadays ARE just looking for the big hit and dumping the rest for practically nothing. It's all a preference thing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

yeah 93-94 ultra was a great set, Ultra was the first set that really started to do inserts,before that all you had was base cards in basketball.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Yeah, a lot of people miss these days. You can still find a niche as a low to mid end collector, though. I wouldn't have close to 800 trades in just over eight years on here if that weren't the case. :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jschminkey28's Items on eBay

Personally i find it hard to find rookies sometimes ill look at peoples lots and its just game used and autos i guess im just old school haha

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I collected cards as a child during the 1980s and early 1990s stopped for a few years and started back. Back in the days cards were dirt cheap but the selection pretty much sucked. Today the market may be oversaturated but there is something for everyone to enjoy. I mainly collect low end because of price and I can use the base for IP/ttm autos. If there is a higher end card that I must have I can pick it up pretty cheaply on the bay or I might even be able to trade for it on here.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I break low-end-mid end(Prizm Retail) boxes. And when I want a hit of a certain player, people on here break the boxes for me. I also buy traidbait on the bay and at my LCS. I have opened hobby packs, but never have I opened a box. When I open boxes, I buy blasters. In fact, the most I've spent on a blaster was $15. One of those repack thingys. I think panini should make boxes cheaper. Marquee should just be 40-50. I also wish they had a no hit product. Make it where they are dirt cheap but they have no GU/Autos. I'm not saying this for all products. Just one.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    NUTS (38)
    Country

I'm in kinda the same boat!! G/U and Auto's don't interest me. I too collected back in the day, lost everything. Just started back into it this past Feb. You can find some great cards here. Just have to search around. Believe me, my collection has doubled since i started here! Good luck!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    NUTS (38)
    Country

I break low-end-mid end(Prizm Retail) boxes. And when I want a hit of a certain player, people on here break the boxes for me. I also buy traidbait on the bay and at my LCS. I have opened hobby packs, but never have I opened a box. When I open boxes, I buy blasters. In fact, the most I've spent on a blaster was $15. One of those repack thingys. I think panini should make boxes cheaper. Marquee should just be 40-50. I also wish they had a no hit product. Make it where they are dirt cheap but they have no GU/Autos. I'm not saying this for all products. Just one.

I agree with this. My son collects with me, he buys the blasters. But he mentions all the time he wishes they'd make just one set that a box was afforable. I remember when Topps Finest was the first basketball box to come out at triple digits. Blew my mind back then.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

I do enjoy GUa and auto but it seems that is all anybody wants now.I like the older designs and when cards were easier to collect.The throwback sets now are a breath of fresh air.As far as doubling your collections hats off to you.I am lucky to get 3 trades done a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast