Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Blast from the past hockey insert top 10 list from December 1997

Here's a sports card top ten hockey list of what was hot from a December 1997 magazine.

I'm willing to bet you can get those game used cards now for a fraction of their original selling price.....
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

I'm willing to bet you can get those game used cards now for a fraction of their original selling price.....

A fraction yes but they will still cost you around $100 if not more, thats assuming you can still find one in this day and age. Those were something ike 1:2500 packs and were the first Hockey Game used cards and were incredibly tough pulls.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See theofleury14's Items on eBay

A fraction yes but they will still cost you around $100 if not more, thats assuming you can still find one in this day and age. Those were something ike 1:2500 packs and were the first Hockey Game used cards and were incredibly tough pulls.

Also, this was in the pre-decoy days, so when people realized you could feel the card or weigh the pack to determine if they had a GUJ card, I'm sure some unsavory dealers stockpiled them for themselves.

I'd imagine those Select Certified Mirror Gold cards are crazy hard to find now. Limited to 30 singles and $2.5k then? wow.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Awww..that darn Lindros/Lemieux card!
    I was trying to get one when I collected Le Magnifique at early 00's but it was so expensive....
    Oh man..I feels old now!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'd imagine those Select Certified Mirror Gold cards are crazy hard to find now. Limited to 30 singles and $2.5k then? wow.

Well the Lemieux Mirror Gold in the first post for 2k then can now be had for $150 on ebay (one up right now, went unsold twice at 160 and 170 with no bids).

I feel sorry for anybody who bought any at 2k back then and seeing what its worth now. Just goes to show how much the hobby has changed in todays Rookie Patch and Auto world that inserts have dropped off that much. Makes us wonder about the cards we're buying now and what the new trend will be in 20 years.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Nobody paid more than 300 dollars for a Select Certified, or Totally Certified Mirror Gold of any player in the Top 5 in the issue. People were much more grounded and sane with their money than they are today.
    Last edited by centrehice; 10-25-2012 at 11:06 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I found the write-up on Jim Carey interesting.
    Talk about a 1-2 year wonder. People forget about all the hype about him for that period. Now his cards are considered commons. I just hope that Steve Mason doesn't follow the same pattern....

BANNED

Country
    See jp999's Items on eBay

I saw those mirror golds change hands for well over 1,000$ cash when that product was out. People are still spending stupid money on inserts, check out some of the prices on the Fleer Basketball stuff....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Jord...item4abd89fd1a
    Last edited by jonpop; 10-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I always found it curious that in the pre-eBay days, "the magazine" based their prices and book values on cards sales and sale prices reported by dealers. Now, I'm not saying the dealers inflated the reported prices but... Higher sale prices meant higher book values. Higher book values meant dealers could charger higher prices.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I saw those mirror golds change hands for well over 1,000$ cash when that product was out. People are still spending stupid money on inserts, check out some of the prices on the Fleer Basketball stuff....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Jordan-11-12-Fleer-Retro-Metal-Universe-Precious-Metal-Gems-Blue-19-50-/321007516954?pt=US_Basketball&hash=item4abd89fd1a

For whatever reason Basketball Inserts have always outsold Inserts from any other sport new or old, Basketball collectors go nuts when it comes to inserts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast