Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Minnesota Twins Minnesota Wild Minnesota Twins
    See hollywood_42's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Donating Double Reds next week- Any advice?

Today I signed up to give "Double Red" blood to the Red Cross next Tuesday. Does anybody have any insights to what it's like, how to reduce all side effects to the minimum possible, or any other tips to make the day run smoothly? This will be my first time giving blood. I'm fine with needles, I've had blood drawn before, but I haven't ever donated blood, let alone go with the Double Red option

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

I have been donating for the past few years, and I always do it in the morning. The last time I went, I didn't have time to eat breakfast, and it took twice as long to donate just a single unit. Eating about an hour + before your appointment will definitely help and being hydrated will always make the process a lot smoother. Getting a good night's sleep always helps too. They will be watching you as this is your first time, but you need to be honest with them if you start getting light headed as I have seen people pass out at the blood bank.

Also, blood banks are naturally on the cold side, so if they ask you for a blanket or just have them there, request one as staying warm also helps. Great to hear that you are doing this as it really does make you feel like you did something special after you are done. If you ever have a chance to do a double red and a single plasma, do it, as it feels like your body just got an oil change.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to donating, but a little nervous at the same time

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to donating, but a little nervous at the same time

I was nervous too the first time I did it, but that goes away real quick. I donated yesterday and signed up for a Double Red next time I go.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Donation this morning was great! Smooth, and no side effects this time around. I'll definetly be giving more blood after the 8 weeks pass (or whatever the wait time is). Thanks again for the tips!

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Donation this morning was great! Smooth, and no side effects this time around. I'll definetly be giving more blood after the 8 weeks pass (or whatever the wait time is). Thanks again for the tips!

Good to hear, but you can only donate double red every 112 days, so next time, you will be eligible for a single.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Whenever I'm eligible again, looking forward to it! Really make you feel good

Good to hear, but you can only donate double red every 112 days, so next time, you will be eligible for a single.

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Whenever I'm eligible again, looking forward to it! Really make you feel good

If you ever want to do platelets, they cycle your blood through a machine, and it filters it back in with a solution that you can feel and it makes your arm cold. They described it to me as feeling like you got an oil change and that is how I felt.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Cool, might have to try that next time around

If you ever want to do platelets, they cycle your blood through a machine, and it filters it back in with a solution that you can feel and it makes your arm cold. They described it to me as feeling like you got an oil change and that is how I felt.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mikebraycomics's Items on eBay

thats what I just did last week -- was pretty cool - OK actually cold - out with the red -then back with the clear -- I did feel a little more lightheaded afterwards though -- but will probably go the same process when i`m ready again -- sometime in early June I think