Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Kill it with fire!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @OscarsCards See oscars-cards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Angry Kill it with fire!

I know you have it, I know you love it - that stupid toploader with the remains of that adhesive tape all over it which has become useless at the moment when you open the shipment with your new favorite card. And year after year you receive more and more and these toploaders which are collecting dust for years afterwards. But what if?!

What chemicals are the best to clean off that adhesive for good? I mean for real, some toploaders are sticky even after years of collecting dust and that should be illegal!

Acetone, turpentine, gasoline? Fire?

Are there any chemist among us?
    Last edited by RGM81; 03-03-2023 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Mind the language

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I just use them for traders, and generally don't get worked up over a little tape residue on a piece of plastic.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @OscarsCards See oscars-cards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Of course those are for trades but it feels kind of disrespectful to send trash looking sticky toploaders who has sticked together and to the packaging.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins
    My traders on Flickr

A little goo gone works great

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

A little goo gone works great

I second that as I keep a bottle on my desk. I put them together and then when I get time I do a few dozen or hundred (whatever has accumulated).

Don

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If the residue is minimal, I use them for traders. If there's a lot, I toss them.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That sounds great! Thanks OrrtoBourque and @doniceage

SCF Rewards
    Country

Isopropanol for the least amount of elbow grease.

Interestingly, these are not even recyclable. They would have to be pristinely clean in order to meet the threshold of what is recyclable and what is not.

Re-using them, or throwing them into the garbage is about the only option.

I too do not like to receive them.

That being said, I do use them when sending out low value cards just so I don't have to feel bad for throwing them in the garbage.

Anything over $10 I use brand new supplies. Also, I ask the recipient if they will mind if I re-use older supplies. Identify the whiny-complainers BEFORE shipping.