Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Super 16: Top NHL defensemen

The Super 16 is back to close out 2020. This week, a look at the top 16 defensemen in the NHL today. Next week, the Super 16 will focus on the top goalies.

Who is the best defenseman in the NHL right now?

The vote was close, a near toss-up between the reigning winners of the Norris Trophy and the Conn Smythe Trophy.

Maybe it was Victor Hedman's Norris win in 2017-18, before he won the Conn Smythe by helping the Tampa Bay Lightning win the Stanley Cup last season, that nudged him ahead of Nashville Predators defenseman Roman Josi and into the top spot in the Super 16.

Hedman was ranked first by 11 of the participating NHL.com staff members and No. 2 by the other two, who each had Josi at No. 1. Josi was ranked No. 2 by 10 of the staff members.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ranking-nhl...?sf134826090=1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Hard to argue with most of the names on this list, particularly the top 3. Glad to see that Hedman is getting his due as the premier d-man in the league.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I would be curious to see who NHL forwards would vote for D-man they hate most to play against.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I would be curious to see who NHL forwards would vote for D-man they hate most to play against.

Do you have ideas of who it would be?

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Do you have ideas of who it would be?

DON

I don't watch enough games to know but someone like Byfuglien comes to mind. He would destroy someone almost every game. If Tyler Myers had a mean streak he would be a nightmare, Chara when he was younger maybe be a common answer. Weber might be up there also.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Same boat here but Chara takes me back to my heyday. As he used to play in Lexington and looked horrible out there when he first came into the AHL here but he sure developed over the years. With that wingspan it was awesome to watch him use it to his advantage. I know Dustin is a beast as I believe I loaned him a pen upon the 2nd day of the draft when he got drafted I believe. It been so long my memory slips as the years roll by. Used to love going to the NHL draft when the players interacted a lot more with the fans.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Not exactly a list of who they'd hate to play against but according to last season's NHLPA Player's Poll, Hedman tops the list as the top D-man as voted on by his peers ...

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2019-20

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

@pwskelly

Thank you for sharing.
    DON