Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

PROTECTION LIST FOR THE 2021 EXPANSION DRAFT (your team).

I been thinking who the wings will protect and leave expose. There going to some talent left out there. It is going to be fun to see if stars get exposed for gm looking to dump salaries etc.

Here a list put out there projecting the wings:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...STER-All_Users

Don

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

as it comes to your team, I would highly suggest you look at this

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

any player with a NMC is automatically protected (like Jeff Skinner for the Sabres)

The interesting part for the Sabres is that their #1 Prospect Ukko-Pekka Lukkonen is exempt from being selected by Seattle.

as for the Sabres - as the roster is now, I would be inclined to do the following

F - Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Tage Thompson, Casey Mittlestadt, Rasmus Asplund and Victor Olofsson
    D - Dahlin, Montour and Henri Jokiharju
    G - Who cares - Lukkonen is not available to be selected

I have thought about protecting Lawrence Pilut (defenseman) but that would expose 3 of the Forwards

yes - I am exposing Ristolainen, but I expect him to be dealt well before this.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Some interesting decisions will have to be made in the coming year for sure...

Habs, I would do this. What do you think @Pheebs888

G - Carey (required)
    D - Weber, Juulsen*, Mete
    F - Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Armia, Lehkonen

* This depends on his recovery - if he plays very well this year, protect him. If not, protect Petry. I really like Petry, I do, but there's some very good young prospects coming up in the system and the demands of the cap will require a transition to the youth movement.

Key players exposed: Byron, Tatar, Weal, Cousins, Petry/Juulsen, Alzner, Chiarot, Kulak, Reilly

If he can, would love to see MB toss a draft pick to Seattle to have them take Alzner's contract, but that's pie in the sky probably. As much as I love Tomas "the Tuna" Tatar after his first year with the Habs, he's pretty much a guy that would be perfect to go in that situation. Same with Byron--fast as lightning, versatile player...but again, that prospect pool!

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

@RGM81 - the key players you highlight, are they not replaceable? I ask because for the Sabres, outside of Pilut, most of the players I did not list as replaceable.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

@scottkoz20 Everybody, ultimately, is replaceable. Whether or not that replacement is of equal or greater value, that's the determination I leave up to the hockey minds on the 7th floor of the Bell Centre. LOL

When looking at the roster list, key thing is to remember to add 2 years to everybody's age and contract status. Guys that are pushing/over 30 or may be starting to decline, those are prime folks to look at moving. Unless any of them is instrumental in bringing a Stanley Cup to Montreal between now and the expansion draft, if you're not part of the core you can be moved.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Some interesting decisions will have to be made in the coming year for sure...

Habs, I would do this. What do you think @Pheebs888

G - Carey (required)
    D - Weber, Juulsen*, Mete
    F - Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Armia, Lehkonen

* This depends on his recovery - if he plays very well this year, protect him. If not, protect Petry. I really like Petry, I do, but there's some very good young prospects coming up in the system and the demands of the cap will require a transition to the youth movement.

Key players exposed: Byron, Tatar, Weal, Cousins, Petry/Juulsen, Alzner, Chiarot, Kulak, Reilly

If he can, would love to see MB toss a draft pick to Seattle to have them take Alzner's contract, but that's pie in the sky probably. As much as I love Tomas "the Tuna" Tatar after his first year with the Habs, he's pretty much a guy that would be perfect to go in that situation. Same with Byron--fast as lightning, versatile player...but again, that prospect pool!

You're not going to like me on this one...just about to write a blog on this so thoughts to come Richard ;)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

SCF Rewards
    Country

Who knows what the rules for this expansion draft will be tho...

I mean I anticipate the league giving teams amnesty buyouts before the expansion draft before the draft, that or exempting players with NMC/NTC's on long-term deals...It would be wrong for the league not to, obviously teams couldn't have seen expansion 6-8 years ago and forcing them to protect those players would be pretty cruel ...

To be honest, the league should really cap NMC/NTC's..

Because all this expansion will do is hold younger NHL ready players back in their development out of fear of having to expose young talent if they meet the expansion criteria, and that's not fair to anyone other than Seattle...

So IMO, I see more conservative expansion rules this time around, that or exemptions, like players over 33-35+ with NMC's being exempt or something like that, or perhaps exempting younger players between certain ages like 18-22 or players on ELC's ..

IDK, I think the current CBA is tremendously flawed in my opinion, and the cap has had it's flaws ever since it's been implemented...

But I like my idea of giving teams amnesty buyouts or at the very least exempting certain players with NMC's/NTC's that meet certain criteria from counting ... Like a player that signed a NMC/NTC on 6+ year contracts after the age of 28, or perhaps players that that are 35+ if the team chooses to invoke that amnesty...

I understand why players with NMC's have to be protected, but I think that is also unfair to the teams that gave those players those NMC's 5+ years ago and now obligated to protect them due to expansion - and unforeseen situation when those NMC's were signed.... I mean no one told these teams, "oh by the way we will be expanding in 5+ years" because it teams knew that then perhaps they wouldn't have handed out those NMC's when they did....

Not only that but NMC's/NTC's have become common, and most high profile players demand them when they sign long-term deals... And since they're not as rare or exclusive as they once were - the only fair thing to do for the player and the team is to come up with some sort of exemption that protects the team and the NMC, and the only idea that makes sense is exemptions under certain criteria ..... Teams shouldn't be forced to expose a young star player all because their team gave a player a NMC 6 years ago...

Of course there will be critics of this idea because you'll always have those "fans" that want to see their rivals get weaker or even punished for being too good and having to many good players... I'm not one of them...

Of course another idea is allowing teams to veto an expansion selection if that player is exposed, but they will be forced to give up a pick based on that players salary.... For example if you expose a player making making 7.5++ AAV, that team can veto the pick but the team will be forced to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick, but will have to give up another player + the pick.... And every team has 1 veto...

Look, we just cant let teams get poached to death because they have several NMC's that were signed way before a Seattle franchise was even a legitimate idea..

So yea, I'm waiting to see what the new expansion rules will be - and they certainly will be different than the Vegas expansion rules...

I mean If I put more thought into it, I could come up with some pretty good and fair expansion rules that are fair fair for Seattle, the NHLPA and the rest of the league...

I don't want to get too far off topic, because this is a topic about expansion but since I'm discussing rules --- I think teams should be allowed to "buy" or trade for cap space from other teams that have it in the form of draft picks.... For example if you want to "trade" for 7 million in cap space for one year - you should be able to trade a 1st round pick for that 7 million.... I think that would make the NHL a lot more interesting - because the entire point of the cap is to ensure teams are on "even playing ground" well a 1st round pick for 7 million of unused cap space will make the team giving up the cap space a better team just via the virtue of having the opportunity of getting a potential star in the first round for a little bit of cap space -- it will also force teams that do this to eventually spend more, because that pick will eventually want to get paid if he pans out...

IDK, I have a ton to ideas how to improve the NHL in the cap era...