Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Tortorella - Sit for the Anthem and You Sit for the Game

I don't always agree with John Tortorella but I don't see a problem with his message to the Team USA Players. If you want to protest what is going on in your country then why pull on the jersey and play for your national team in the first place. Protest by staying at home.

http://www.tsn.ca/tortorella-shouldn...otest-1.562396
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Torts back at it again!

Kinda missed it to be honest, haha.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hoping the whole bench sits ..... then lets see what the smart*** plans to do about it.

For someone as patriotic as he deems himself to be, he sure is infringing on his players rights and freedoms to their own expression.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (489)
    Country
    Upper Deck ePack

I agree with piper.
    Collecting; Autos, GU'd & RC of Red Wings, Brodeur, Hasek & Shanahan and ITG 2004-05 Franchises. Motown Madness & Broad Street Boys.
    Want List: Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree with piper.

Protest by staying home .....

People don't raise awareness by staying home. They might mention once, on a non US broadcast, why player `X` decided not to play for team USA, but as athletes they have a platform many of us do not have. With the world watching, they are able to show how they feel on certain topics and raise awareness for what they think is right.

Deciding to stay home is the same as doing nothing at all.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hoping the whole bench sits ..... then lets see what the smart*** plans to do about it.

For someone as patriotic as he deems himself to be, he sure is infringing on his players rights and freedoms to their own expression.

@canucksfan007
    How is he infringing on their rights?

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

@canucksfan007
    How is he infringing on their rights?

Don

He is infringing on what might be the #1 thing Americans fight for. Freedom of speech and the ability to express themselves.

As you can see by the flag beside my name, I am not an American ..... but the very act of not allowing someone to openly express their thoughts and beliefs without fear of ridicule or consequence ( of course unless its hurting others ), is about as un-American as you can get in my opinion.

If a player or players decide to sit for the anthem in protest over something happening in their country ( which I believe is another right Americans have - Freedom to a peaceful protest ), then they should be able to do so as they are not hurting anyone because of it ( feelings dont count ).

I guess hes not entirely infringing on their rights as of now, seeing as all Torts has done is utter threats to get his way with Team USA, but the very notion of someone trying to silence anothers voice or actions in peaceful protest IMO is infringing on their rights.

Team USA management should have rightened this ship long ago. Just like the NFL is doing. The various teams understand their players rights to kneel for the anthem, put out a statement saying they do not condone this action and it is suggested by the team and organization to stand for the anthem ...... but also understand that it is the players decision. They are not going around trying to fine or bench or in any way, discipline their players for what they believe.

If Team USA was smart, they would have addressed their players along with the coach about this topic and behind closed doors told them there would be no benching if a player were to express himself ( who knows, maybe they have ) ..... as on a hockey note ..... this is a very short tournament and the ability to gel quickly is what makes or breaks a team. The comments Torts made, not even hockey related .... im sure has ruffled some feathers on his team and potentially put a divider between some people. Im sure there are players who feel its ridiculous that another player would sit during the anthem ..... while others might think its totally within their right as Americans to sit if they choose to. Its never good to throw a heated political topic into the middle of any team, let alone a National Team that has a few weeks to gel and try and win a tournament.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

He is infringing on what might be the #1 thing Americans fight for. Freedom of speech and the ability to express themselves.

As you can see by the flag beside my name, I am not an American ..... but the very act of not allowing someone to openly express their thoughts and beliefs without fear of ridicule or consequence ( of course unless its hurting others ), is about as un-American as you can get in my opinion.

If a player or players decide to sit for the anthem in protest over something happening in their country ( which I believe is another right Americans have - Freedom to a peaceful protest ), then they should be able to do so as they are not hurting anyone because of it ( feelings dont count ).

I guess hes not entirely infringing on their rights as of now, seeing as all Torts has done is utter threats to get his way with Team USA, but the very notion of someone trying to silence anothers voice or actions in peaceful protest IMO is infringing on their rights.

Team USA management should have rightened this ship long ago. Just like the NFL is doing. The various teams understand their players rights to kneel for the anthem, put out a statement saying they do not condone this action and it is suggested by the team and organization to stand for the anthem ...... but also understand that it is the players decision. They are not going around trying to fine or bench or in any way, discipline their players for what they believe.

If Team USA was smart, they would have addressed their players along with the coach about this topic and behind closed doors told them there would be no benching if a player were to express himself ( who knows, maybe they have ) ..... as on a hockey note ..... this is a very short tournament and the ability to gel quickly is what makes or breaks a team. The comments Torts made, not even hockey related .... im sure has ruffled some feathers on his team and potentially put a divider between some people. Im sure there are players who feel its ridiculous that another player would sit during the anthem ..... while others might think its totally within their right as Americans to sit if they choose to. Its never good to throw a heated political topic into the middle of any team, let alone a National Team that has a few weeks to gel and try and win a tournament.

See, to me he is not infringing on their rights. If a player does not wish to stand for the anthem there is nothing that John can do from keep them from expressing their viewpoint. Just like in life every action has a consequence. Their consequence is John benching them. How that plays out would also have a consequence for John how ever it played out.

I will not disagree with you on tour point of missing politics into sports.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

See, to me he is not infringing on their rights. If a player does not wish to stand for the anthem there is nothing that John can do from keep them from expressing their viewpoint. Just like in life every action has a consequence. Their consequence is John benching them. How that plays out would also have a consequence for John how ever it played out.

I will not disagree with you on tour point of missing politics into sports.

Don

Don't take anything the other members post personally as his post is likely something that is aimed at me. If I said black he likely would say white, but based on his stated position I doubt that either he or any member of his immediate family has served in the Canadian military. Otherwise he would understand that sitting or kneeling is disrespectful to those who have given their life in the service of your country. That Dipperstick character in the NFL claims he has a problem with policing services, institutions that only serve both state and city flags. I would ask him what his beef is with the service people who lay their lives on the line for their national flag. Pure ignorance is what I suspect.
    Last edited by piper1; 09-09-2016 at 04:20 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am not the biggest fan of Torts, but in this case he gets my full support.

As a fellow countryman
    If you are playing for YOUR country in the World Cup then you need to respect all those that have fought, bled and died for it. You also need to understand that you are representing YOUR country and that YOU are a role model to those watching. If you want to protest, fine do that, but not this way. This way is disrespectful and demeaning to those that did things to represent their country, not playing a sport. I truly believe every person has the right to believe what they want, just don't force me to think you are right.

If you want to be a leader and make change then do it, but don't make others feel lesser than they are, everyone has rights respect those.

Now, as a hockey coach myself here is what I have to say.
    Torts is the coach, if he tells you to do something and you don't, you sit. You don't skate hard you sit, you don't change on time you sit. In the end if you don't perform your duties as a player you sit. It is his team, win or lose! If you have never been a coach, please be quiet and enjoy your beer. If you have been you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast