Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kdawgy80's Items on eBay

That's nuts for just an insert. I feel like there's a ton of these cards out on ebay right now, and also a ton of excitement, and the prices will come down once the excitement wears off. Especially with the autographics, there are ton of some of those autos.

Great set, don't get me wrong I love them and am buying some myself. I'm just going to wait a little while before buying singles.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's nuts for just an insert. I feel like there's a ton of these cards out on ebay right now, and also a ton of excitement, and the prices will come down once the excitement wears off. Especially with the autographics, there are ton of some of those autos.

Great set, don't get me wrong I love them and am buying some myself. I'm just going to wait a little while before buying singles.

PMG (Precious Metal Gems) especially the greens in basketball lands from the 96 set I believe it was still command insane top dollar. If I remember correctly both mr jordan and mr bryant will set you back in the 5 figure range while even guys like mr rodman will cost you like 2-3k. Given that the gretzky is question is currently cheaper than the dennis rodman would be in basketball, that's not too bad.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See the_hockeycouple's Items on eBay

PMG (Precious Metal Gems) especially the greens in basketball lands from the 96 set I believe it was still command insane top dollar. If I remember correctly both mr jordan and mr bryant will set you back in the 5 figure range while even guys like mr rodman will cost you like 2-3k. Given that the gretzky is question is currently cheaper than the dennis rodman would be in basketball, that's not too bad.

Basketball collectors have no hesitation putting up big money for the guys they collect. It's pretty cool! I love seeing what some of the cards go for.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

I am just stating that most people don't buy cards b/c they look nice and if you were to compare the spending habits of hockey collectors with other sports collectors you would easily notice that collectors from the other sports spend a lot more money, rightly or wrongly. The other sports are also a whole lot popular which makes a big difference in their costs obviously.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am just stating that most people don't buy cards b/c they look nice and if you were to compare the spending habits of hockey collectors with other sports collectors you would easily notice that collectors from the other sports spend a lot more money, rightly or wrongly. The other sports are also a whole lot popular which makes a big difference in their costs obviously.

Oh I wasn't saying all that I was just saying the precious metal gems set has been one of *THE* most important sets for basketball card collectors since it debuted in 1996. (um, please correct me if that year is off but I'm pretty sure it's 96). That original release still goes for insane amounts of money for even dirt common players in the rare green color and they're considered "status" type cards. So it's no wonder they took off and are so highly so after now in other sports.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

You can't compare basketball to hockey or any other sport actually b/c their market is the biggest. The original PMGS don't sell for much at all if I am correct, but it's the re-release that go for crazy amounts of money and continue to be popular.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Only found a couple on the bay. Did find out I screwed the year up, it's 97 not 96, whoops. All bid over 100 with time to go. Grand is a decent name (or was back in his day) but not a heavily collected guy. The others, um, yeah basically we got 3 guys with no real collectors bases over a C note a piece with time to spare. I don't know if the hockey ones will one day see this kind of popularity but right now you can pick up superstar level hockey players for less than these commons are going for. Might be worth the gamble.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-98-Meta...item4d0b694921

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-98-Meta...item53f79795cc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-98-FLEE...item4ac39cc1cd

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know if the hockey ones will one day see this kind of popularity but right now you can pick up superstar level hockey players for less than these commons are going for. Might be worth the gamble.

With the double rookie class right around the corner, I think we're going to see a spike in everything hockey related. A lot of non-hockey collectors are looking to get into it because they think it will be along the lines of this past year's football releases with the strong rookie class. But maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some of these PMG's in hockey go up in value next year.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

With the double rookie class right around the corner, I think we're going to see a spike in everything hockey related. A lot of non-hockey collectors are looking to get into it because they think it will be along the lines of this past year's football releases with the strong rookie class. But maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some of these PMG's in hockey go up in value next year.

Again hockey does not have the same popularity as the other sports and most of the hockey collectors in the world only collect hockey and nothing else. They are hardcore amongst themselves, but are not as widespread. For example you will see more hockey collectors that dabble in the other sports and not as many hockey collectors dabble in the other sports.

PMGS across the board have gone done in value or stay the same as what holds true with most products. I doubt they will go up in value unless retro is discontinued which might happen.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Again hockey does not have the same popularity as the other sports and most of the hockey collectors in the world only collect hockey and nothing else. They are hardcore amongst themselves, but are not as widespread. For example you will see more hockey collectors that dabble in the other sports and not as many hockey collectors dabble in the other sports.

PMGS across the board have gone done in value or stay the same as what holds true with most products. I doubt they will go up in value unless retro is discontinued which might happen.

And again what I am saying is with the double rookie class that is coming up we could see a spike in hockey card values as people dabble in hockey. I agree that hockey doesn't have the same widespread popularity as other sports. I think it's ok we have differing opinion. Their have been a few inserts that have sold very well this year. PMG's and Prizm Gold's. With both of those crossing over to the hockey side of the hobby (PMG's already and Prizm Gold's soon), it will be interesting to see what happens. I think the hockey hobby gaining in popularity would be, all things considered, a big plus. But who knows, only time will tell.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast