by Richard McAdam aka RGM81

For a significant portion of the 2009-10 season, Montreal Canadiens fans engaged in a spirited and often heated debate over who should be the team’s #1 goaltender: Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak. Price was spectacular to start the season but couldn’t put together the wins when they were needed, while Halak picked up the slack beginning mid-season and carried the bulk of the load as the team made its charge towards the playoffs. Halak ultimately earned the #1 role and started 18 of Montreal’s 19 playoff games, and was often spectacular in the upsets over Washington and Pittsburgh. His save percentage through the first two rounds earned favourable comparisons to Ken Dryden in 1971 and Patrick Roy in 1986, and many were labeling the Slovakian netminder “Saint Jaro” for his exploits.

It would seem, then, that perhaps the debate is settled: Jaroslav Halak is the Montreal Canadiens’ #1 goaltender. However, it is not that simple; indeed, in Montreal, it rarely is. Both goaltenders are due to become restricted free agents—at 24, Halak will have arbitration rights while Price, at 22, is coming off his entry-level contract—and both could very well attract offer sheets from teams looking to strengthen their personnel between the pipes. Moreover, due to his fantastic playoffs run, Halak will be looking for a large payday commensurate with other young goaltenders earning #1 dollars. Also to consider is that the Canadiens organization has invested heavily in Price, a first-round pick that has all the physical tools to develop into a true superstar, and they will have to decide whether to continue that investment into the future. It promises to be a very interesting off-season in Montreal once again.

Will we see both goalies in the same jersey next season?

The situation for Montreal is as enviable as it gets: two goaltenders under the age of 25 that are both fully capable of carrying the load in nets and carrying the team into the playoffs. Both are very driven and motivated to succeed. Both are highly skilled. Both have yet to reach their full potential. The last part is where things get very tricky for the organization, as they're going to have to decide which has the higher upside and which is more likely to reach it with the team. They also have to figure out how to make all of this work under the constraints of the salary cap system. Currently they've got $44M committed to 14 guys, and have to re-sign players like Plekanec, Lapierre, Pouliot, Moore, a D-man or two, and both goaltenders, while also shouldering the buyout of Georges Laraque.

Barring a trade of Roman Hamrlik ($5.5M) and/or the Kostitsyn brothers (combined $4M), there is likely going to be a cap crunch that will compel the Canadiens to sign one of the goalies and trade the other. Halak's value has increased exponentially this past year thanks to spectacular runs in the Olympics and the NHL playoffs, and his agent, Alan Walsh, will no doubt be looking at the deals signed by Kari Lehtonen (3yrs-$10.5M) and Jonas Hiller (4yrs-$18M) and say, "How many playoff games did they win singlehandedly this season?" Price's value, however, has dropped off and he may not get much more than the $2.2M (bonuses included) he's currently at on his entry-level deal. If the Canadiens can move out some salary, there does exist the possibility they can retain the services of both Price and Halak on a short-term (probably a maximum of 2 years) basis.

That, in my opinion, is the ideal scenario: keep both goalies and let them continue to push each other to be the true #1 guy. Yes, if Halak gets a larger deal there will be the natural inclincation to give him more time in net to justify the contract, but when you look at Chicago's situation, it's not unheard-of for a lower-priced goalie to rule the roost. Give them both two-year deals, and if the dust has settled by that time the Canadiens will have successfully deferred the problem by two years to fully evaluate their situation and can act accordingly. At the end of that 2-year period, Halak will be 26 and eligible for UFA status, while Price will still only be 24 and eligible for arbitration-rights RFA status. If either has fully established themselves as the true #1, keep him and deal the other at that time. You don't want to give up on Price at 22, and you don't want to commit long-term to Halak based on one season, no matter how superlative.

If, however, the Canadiens are backed into a corner by a trade request from Price or a too-high salary demand from Halak, and it's a situation where only one can stay, here is what you do:

If they decide to go with Halak and Price has to go, give Halak a long-term deal to ensure that they will not have to worry about what goes on between the pipes for years to come. Desjardins will be good as the backup, I believe. Find a Western Conference taker for Price so that there won't be regular distractions whenever he comes to town. Personally, I wouldn't complain if it was Edmonton in exchange for some of their young talent (no I'm not going to demand Taylor Hall), though given that Edmonton's paying Khabibulin nearly $4m a year until 2013 they may not necessarily be a viable option. Colorado? That might be a little too "history repeating itself" for many Habs fans, though he would definitely fit in with the youth movement they have going on there. They are in a fantastic cap situation and could easily give him a long-term deal.

Could their career paths end up the same way?

If Halak was just too good in the playoffs and priced himself out of what Montreal can pay him relative to his demands, and the organization wants to stick with Price after investing so heavily in him, a trade to Dallas is in the offing. Trade Halak for Jamie Benn and/or James Neal (pending RFA) and the rights to Marty Turco, who is about to become a UFA (can somebody try this on NHL '10 and see if it gets accepted? Send me a message if it works). It maximizes the return on Halak's stock in getting a blue-chip prospect while also giving Price the veteran mentor that he might just need to excel. Plus, if Price falters, Turco, at only 33 years old, is still capable of playing a lot of minutes. Whether Turco wants to accept a more limited role is of course still up in the air, and he may feel that he can get one last big contract as a legitimate #1 goalie. Price gets a 2-year deal (though he may push for 3 so that if he's not happy after the deal's done he can leave as UFA) for decent money to show confidence on behalf of the organization, gets his veteran mentor, and the reins to prove himself.

I don't know which of these options I truly find more appealing. I of course love Price in Montreal and would hate to see him leave, but it might be the best thing for him moving forward; as much as I hate to agree with Don Cherry that he has to get out of Montreal, it might be true. I actually find the Colorado option very interesting and it would be a great opportunity for him to kick-start his career with a very good up-and-coming team. I'm very much torn between my heart and my head on the matter. There is nothing more I want to see than Carey Price in a Montreal Canadiens jersey hoisting the Stanley Cup. I do believe that he will ultimately emerge as a true #1 superstar goaltender in the NHL. However, I very much fear that, like Roy and Thibault and Theodore and every other goalie for the Habs in the past 30 years, the relationship between the player and the fans may have deteriorated to the point that the player simply has to go elsewhere to ply his trade. I want the best for both my favourite team and my favourite player - I fear that the two may be at a crossroads, and that the outcome may see them go in opposite directions.

Discuss this subject further on SCF here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1122269