Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: George Karl Fired!

SCF Rewards

George Karl Fired!

ow! What a disappointment he was. I'm guessing Carlyle's there guy.

SCF Rewards

Coach out after five seasons in Milwaukee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

George Karl will not return as coach of the Milwaukee Bucks next year following a season in which Milwaukee lost in the first round of the playoffs.

It was not immediately clear if Karl was fired or resigned, although ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reports that Karl was fired.

General manager Larry Harris announced the decision Sunday. The Bucks issued a statement saying it was best for the team if Karl not come back. A news conference is scheduled for later Sunday.

Karl, who was 205-173 in Milwaukee with four playoff appearances in five seasons, had one year and $7 million remaining on his contract.

"His contributions to our success will always be appreciated, but our situation going forward requires a vision beyond next season," Harris said. "We're looking for a coach who will seize the opportunity to succeed now with a young roster and a fresh outlook."

Karl had said in May that he was not troubled by his "lame duck" status entering the 2003-04 season.

"I personally don't think that's going to be a problem with the crew that we have," Karl said at the time. "Not at all. If I was 10 years younger, I probably would have some discomfort. I've been treated incredibly nice and kind by (Bucks owner) Sen. (Herb) Kohl and I'm sure we'll sit down and talk this summer."

When Karl signed his two-year, $14 million extension in 2001 -- the richest contract in pro sports for a coach who doesn't also serve as general manager -- he said he hoped it would raise the pay scale for coaches.

Instead, it made him a lightning rod for criticism, especially after the Bucks slipped a few notches after reaching the Eastern Conference finals in 2000-01.

"I would pay $1 million not to have that title right now," Karl said two months ago. "For me, the extension was something flattering and my purpose was to try to help coaching salaries escalate and I don't know if I did that or hurt that. But the image and the target, there's no question, it's a little painful."

Milwaukee was eliminated by eventual Eastern Conference champion New Jersey in six games in the opening round of the 2003 playoffs after missing them altogether the year before.

SCF Rewards
    See radioheadfloyd's Items on eBay

He was definitely a bust for the Bucks... I wonder if he will get picked up by another team.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Originally posted by radioheadfloyd
    He was definitely a bust for the Bucks... I wonder if he will get picked up by another team.

Yeah he was a bust.

He was the highest paid coach in the league and I think he was the highest paid coach overall in sports. not sure though
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jokeboy's Items on eBay

He took a risk and lost his job
    As the coach/partial-GM he traded Casell to minnesota, confident payton would stay...which he didnt
    Now the teams big three of Robinson,Allen, and Cassell are gone...now its up to Mason, Ford, and joe Smith

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ntgiants612's Items on eBay

I don't understand why they ever depleted the big three. "Don't fix what's not broken". I think Karl is a good coach they just messed up the team in the front office.
    Last edited by Bonds_25; 07-21-2003 at 05:18 AM.

SCF Rewards

Karl made too many bad comments, and that was his downfall.

I think Carlyle will be a great fit.

It's a shame Detroit released him