Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@rtghobbies

Im just kind of curious if you have this attitude with life in general. When you go grocery shopping, do you try to sneak some extra stuff in your cart after youve paid? Do you grab a free shirt at the mall because you dont believe the price the store is selling it for is fair. Dude, I hate to say it, but this post makes you come off as a thief, plain and simple

SCF Rewards
    Country

I will address certain comments individually, then give my thoughts on this issue on the whole.

1. Anyone claiming a dealer is doing anyone a service by having a signing is hilariously off the mark. I know several dealers, and I can tell you they not only make lots of money off of the ticket prices that they sell to people (50 dollars for an inscription on top of the ticket, hilarious!), they also get dozens and dozens of free autos that they certify and sell for hundreds or thousands of dollars. They are trying to benefit from their connections, which is fine and dandy by me, but I do not have to pay it.

2. Several people have said that I would annoy or PO either A. the people who host the signing or B. the people who paid for his autograph. While I do not disagree that I would annoy these people, let's not confuse annoying people with something that is morally wrong. Several people on here have told stories where at a card show they have gotten athletes walking around the show after their signing for which tickets were sold. This is really the same thing.

3. The person who likened this method to stealing groceries is likewise hilarious. One is stealing, the other is not. If a player will sign his name for me, that is not theft regardless of the circumstances. The fact that it may be in his contract not to sign is his business if he chooses not to, but this is A. not theft, B. not a crime, C. not even morally wrong. Again, if people that paid are angry about it, it is just because they realize what is true about ALL AUTOGRAPHS- you don't have to pay for them if you are smart. If I get this free autograph, I'm not stealing from the promoter because he is not the one that gave me the autograph- the player is of his own free will. And I am also not stealing from the other people who paid- they are still getting what they paid for. Again, they are just annoyed, whether they know it or not, because the sponsor of the signing STOLE THEIR MONEY for an autograph that can be obtained for free.

4. As for my "attitude on life," (because someone is really able to tell this about me from a few posts on a baseball card message board), I will put forth an argument that someone else in this thread has said. Autograph dealers benefit from the fact that people on the whole don't know how to get autographs at stadiums, at hotels or at other appearances. I do not support this blinding profiteering. Since I go to many Philly free signings, I sit around and chit chat with dealers all the time (1-2 in particular are always there) and I hear them talk about all the signings that they do and how they con people like this and get sweet deals for themselves.

In short, not paying for autographs is something that I feel pretty strongly about. And if I know an athlete is going to be in X place, then I am going to give it a shot. This is regardless of whether this player is doing a radio show, doing a sponsorship appearance or doing a paid signing. The context of how I find him is pretty irrelevent to me.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See indian1797's Items on eBay

Just look at it this way, say you're a big Vick fan, wouldn't it be be easier to pay the fee to get one of your favorite player's autographs? And if you're not a Vick fan, then why would you be wanting his autograph? Someone talked about something similar to this a while ago in saying that if you're just getting autographs of random sports stars, your collection has no sentimental value and it could also turn good signers bad. Why not just get the autographs you WANT instead of getting autographs for the sake of having them?

SCF Rewards
    Country

if im not mistaken, Think the promoter is part of this community. I remember seeing atleast 2 threads awhile back about this signing. He may not be the promoter but was asking if people had items they wanted signed. pay the fee, s & hing & he would hook you up. I looked in the forums but couldnt find it, But if he gets wind of this thread, your little plan wont work. dont think its going to anyways.

SCF Rewards
    Country

if I was the athlete I would just point to the line at the shop

SCF Rewards
    Country

Insert face palm smiley.

C'mon man.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Again, I'm glad you all have 50-100 bucks to drop on an auto on a regular basis. I don't.

It is the athletes prerogative to tell me to get in line, but that won't necessarily stop me from trying. And if he's on the way out he won't have a line in the store to point to.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nextspeed's Items on eBay

What I don't get is how these working class guys can throw down 200 dollars a pop for autos of guys like Roy Halladay or something all the time. I am in a better financial state than that and still could NEVER justify that kind of signing, and I am a huge fan.

Huge fan? Sorry, but sounds more along the lines of a cheapskate. While everybody loves free autographs, trying to score autographs for free before or after a paid signing is a pretty low move any grapher could make.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See indian1797's Items on eBay

Huge fan? Sorry, but sounds more along the lines of a cheapskate. While everybody loves free autographs, trying to score autographs for free before or after a paid signing is a pretty low move any grapher could make.

Precisely the point I was trying to make in my post. Im glad somebody can relate.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Again, I'm glad you all have 50-100 bucks to drop on an auto on a regular basis. I don't.

we dont, or atleast i dont.. there for i wouldnt bother going to the payed signing for Vick to try & score a freebie.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast