Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

That one MLB player who challenged free agency. Also, Maurice Richard and Billy Smith.

SCF Owner

SCF Rewards
    Country

Lance is an icon. What he went through and what he ahs accoplmished is top notch. He also is dating/married to Sherly crow. Another thumbs up ;)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Who is Maurice Richard and Billy Smith, and who challenged free agency and why? Someone fill me in there please?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Never mind about Richard and Smith, i searched for it.

But still want to know about the free agency thing.

See allseazonz's Items on eBay

The guy who BROUGHT ON free agency... He challenged club exclusivity to a player's rights... CURT FLOOD!

He does NOT get my vote- HELPING DRIVE UP TICKET PRICES? HELPING THE YANKEES?

Our most IMPORTANT athlete IMO would be Byron "Whizzer" White- who can tell me why?

Ok, Hint: He broke 2 barriers... and did things in his day that effect EVERY ONE of us EVERY DAY, like it or not!

Oh, crud- actually, upon further review, a man who stood up to Hitler and changed the opinions of Nazi athletes in their own nation... Berlin... 1936... JESSE OWENS... That's a HUGE HANDS DOWN- and BEFORE Jackie by over a dozen years!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scsipro's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by justsandersplease
    Oh, crud- actually, upon further review, a man who stood up to Hitler and changed the opinions of Nazi athletes in their own nation... Berlin... 1936... JESSE OWENS... That's a HUGE HANDS DOWN- and BEFORE Jackie by over a dozen years!

I can see an argument for Jesse Owens, but keep in mind he didn't stop Hitler or Nazi Germany from invading Poland in 1939 and starting WWII. He certainly made them look like fools to some regard, but Germany finished the games with the most medals (including gold medals) by a large margin over second place (the US). While Jesse did his part, it still was an overall victory for Hitler in his quest to prove German supremacy. Also, many of Germany's athletes were not Nazis, though the party utilized their success to further the cause (i.e. Max Shmeling defeating Joe Louis). Jesse Owens also returned to a segregated and biased America, which his accomplishment did little to change. Was it too early? Maybe. In general, I believe the onset of WWII overshadowed what Owenes might have accomplished with his Olympic success. The world already had its eyes on Germany and Hitler, not to mention the aggression of Japan in Asia, which would later erupt into WWII. With that said, it is not my intention to trivialize the signifigance of what Owens accomplished at the 1936 Olympics, but sadly, it did little to change the landscape of things in America.

See godzookies's Items on eBay

My pick is Joe Louis. He changed all sports! I think Lance is a joke! Sure he came back from cancer, but his spot sucks! Havent rode a bike since I was 7! And I love how the public embraces him, even though every one knows he was on roids, and Barry Bonds is the devil?!? Thats funny to me~!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mrs.klinton's Items on eBay

woah no way lance armstoring is a joke a nit out of line he goes through arigerous bike race while having cancer and wins 7 times straight.... my pick has to be jackie robinson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast