Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Why should there be a group pool? Why is it federally mandated that you must pay for everyone's retirement? The government has no right being in the retirement arena to begin with. A case can be made for welfare...I don't agree with it (at least in its current incarnation), but at least there is a logical argument for it. There is no logical argument as to why a person's retirement should be handled by the federal government. What right does anyone have to being paid once they reach a certain age? If you want to retire at some point, save your money until you can. If you can't or won't save your money, I'm sorry, but it's not the government's and especially not my or anyone else's responsibility to do it for you.

+1

You get out what you paid in. Group pools are just another form of welfare and I am tired of footing the bill for the "have nots". If you did not work and pay into the SS program then you have no right to draw out of it.

-----------------------------------------------

Part of the problem is the poeple who are drawing out of SS and have nothing paid into it.

For example. I have mentioned before an in-law of mine who has not worked a day in her life. She got pregnant at 16 and started drawing welfare. By the time she hit 20 she was around 250 lbs. By 25 she had hit 400 lbs. She went to a doctor who gave her a "medically unfit for work" form and she now draws Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for disability which is funded by the Social Security system. So now for the rest of her life she gets a twice monthly SSI check, food stamps and Medicare for free, all because she is too fat to work.

I imagine there are hundreds of thousands of people just like her who never worked a day and are milking the system dry while folks like us who work hard have nothing to fall back on when we retire. Thank god my employer offers a private retirement option.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

Why should there be a group pool? Why is it federally mandated that you must pay for everyone's retirement? The government has no right being in the retirement arena to begin with. A case can be made for welfare...I don't agree with it (at least in its current incarnation), but at least there is a logical argument for it. There is no logical argument as to why a person's retirement should be handled by the federal government. What right does anyone have to being paid once they reach a certain age? If you want to retire at some point, save your money until you can. If you can't or won't save your money, I'm sorry, but it's not the government's and especially not my or anyone else's responsibility to do it for you.

Now, aside from the fact that fundamentally it should not exist, there is also the practical issue of letting the most ineffective and inefficient organization in the world run it. Our government is running a $1.5 trillion deficit this year alone...would you invest your money in a company with that kind of performance. I can definitively say no you wouldn't for one simple reason...it would cease to exist long before it could ever reach that kind of failure. Why pay into a system that performs terribly and will most likely not even be around when you need it instead of investing your money into something that not only will most likely at least give you your money back, but could also *GASP* provide a return on your investment?

And that's not aimed at you...I just tend to go off on the subject pretty easily.

well my group pool thought would be for the people retired and drawing soc sec or soon to be retiring. Those people would probably have to be grandfathered in as they wouldn't have had any time to accumulate their own accounts. You don't have any arguments from about people handling their own retirements. I'm only 35 and would have loved to have that soc sec tax that I've paid over the last 20 years.

I also will say that in the existing system they'd more than likely be able to make the money grown much better if an outside firm handled the accounts.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

Another flaw to the system is the fact that some people pay in all of their lives and pass away before they are even able to get any of that back. I guess in theory that's part of the insurance sort of thing about the system... people paying in that won't take payments out, but having my dad pass away before retirement it stinks that he paid in so much money and won't see a dime go to him or his family.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

Another flaw to the system is the fact that some people pay in all of their lives and pass away before they are even able to get any of that back. I guess in theory that's part of the insurance sort of thing about the system... people paying in that won't take payments out, but having my dad pass away before retirement it stinks that he paid in so much money and won't see a dime go to him or his family.

The spouse doesn't get it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12