Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JRule15's Items on eBay

For the Michael Jordan Collector Who Has Everything…

If your Michael Jordan rookie card just isn’t getting the juices flowing anymore, Upper Deck Authenticated says it has something for you. The company has created a Japanese Tegata inked handprint of the Basketball Hall of Famer. A traditional form of Japanese memorabilia that is reserved for superstar athletes, Tegata are often done to recognize Japan’s best sumo wrestlers.

“This is another first for Upper Deck Authenticated and it is only fitting that we would christen this unique process with our longest-tenured exclusive athlete, Michael Jordan,” said Steve Sloan, director of Upper Deck Authenticated (UDA).
    Jordan, a six-time NBA champion with the Bulls, is the first American to be honored with a unique ‘Tegata’ memorabilia piece from UDA.
    Utilizing handmade Japanese Fuji paper, Jordan has inked his left hand in

black and included an authentic Inkan stamp which corresponds with the traditional craft. The overall keepsake, which measure 30” wide by 40” high, includes a 12” by 12” inset center upon which Jordan’s hand is inked and is surrounded by a double-matted mosaic background of on-court, action images of MJ throughout his 13-year tenure with the Bulls.
    Jordan recently performed the Tegata process alongside UDA officials and helped in the actual hand-craftingof 23 uniquely authentic stamps for each one produced.

His unique, red Inkan stamp reflects his initials and uniform number. He then completed the autograph phase of UDA’s authentication process by signing his name in silver across each handprint. They’re being sold at $4999.
    “It’s an honor to be the first Upper Deck Authenticated spokesmen to be selected to go through this process,” said Jordan, who celebrates his 48th birthday today.
    “It’s an honor to be the first Upper Deck Authenticated spokesmen to be selected to go through this process,” said Jordan, who celebrates his 48th birthday today.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...as-everything/

(Video in link)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thats super sweet and I was always a Michael Jordan fan, I just cant muster up the money for his UD stuff or anything signed by him for that matter.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jyosi3's Items on eBay

So each piece has a hand print on it? They aren't copies, right? He literally put his hand in ink and laid it on each piece?

SCF Rewards
    Country

So each piece has a hand print on it? They aren't copies, right? He literally put his hand in ink and laid it on each piece?

Thats my take on it, I would hope so for 5G's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thats my take on it, I would hope so for 5G's.

Heck, for $5K I'd expect a vial of his blood and maybe some hair samples, if he had any!

I will say that's a pretty cool item though, esp for big time MJ collectors who want something other than a jersey or a ball.
    Last edited by iowa49erfan; 02-25-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Country

Pretty cool.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think it's lame. It's UD's attempt to "hang on" without an NBA license. I guess it's like the OP said - for the Jordan collector who has everything - including 5k burning a hole in his pocket.