Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jyosi3's Items on eBay

Alright here are a few final versions of index cards. The double matted Mark Price was freaking hard (it doesn't look bad in the pic, but in person you can see the difficulty I had) because of the 1/4" border in the middle so I'm going to do double matted ICs like the Barkley until I get a better handle (which will probably be months because I don't feel like practicing) on the thin borders.

Note on the Barkley, this was just using the orange mat from the Price. There are a few little changes I want to make with it so that all the orange borders are the same.
    Last edited by jyosi; 04-20-2011 at 01:03 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Those look incredible. I"ll also be pming you in the future when I find a nice 8x10 cal Ripken. Going to take the auto from the book signing & do something along those lines. Might be around the size RGP was talking about.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have been looking at purchasing a mat cutter.....could you share the one that you are using? Also how long did it take for you to get comfortable with it?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I"ll also be pming you in the future when I find a nice 8x10 cal Ripken. Going to take the auto from the book signing & do something along those lines

Ditto.

I have been looking at purchasing a mat cutter.....could you share the one that you are using? Also how long did it take for you to get comfortable with it?

Ditto. I do a lot of photography related stuff, and it's gotten to the point where I would like to do some of my own matting and framing. Not too sure yet, but when I went to a shop today to quote a price for a 12x18 I have and the guy said $130 after the special discount...yeah, that kind of made up my mind....

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the feedback. I hope some of you guys can take me up on the offer and then show me how your items look in the mats.

As far as the mat cutter I bought. I went for the Logan 750. It was a little over $200, but I figured I was going to buy a professional model if I was going to buy a mat cutter. There are some Logan models available for $100 or less, but the one I got can cut up to 40" pieces of mat board and it has a squaring arm with ruler which I find to be very useful. I butchered the first few mats I tried. Mostly this was because I was so excited to get going that I didn't take the time I should have to get familiar with the cutter. I still have some goofs, but it is a fairly easy machine to learn.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks! And good luck with the offer that you made to the board. If I wasn't looking at buying one I would likely be looking for you to make me some.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Alright, I did a new orange border for the Barkley and I think it looks way better.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HK (15)
    Country

hey bro.. i too just recently got into custom matting

one of my first pieces was the following

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very cool!! I very interested in buy my own also. I think it will be way cheaper than going to a framer when I want to get something done.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hey man. I'm looking at getting one done like the Griffey. It will be vertically oriented, and the opening needs to be 2x1 (rectangular) much like that colored layout you have in the OP. Yankee blue (the closest you can get to it) for the main, and plain white for the stripe would be what I'm aiming for.

How much would that be including shipping? I'm ready for it whenever you are.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast