Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Products with graded cards

What do you all feel about Products that put graded cards in packs and boxes?

I personally love it! Unfortunately it seems like it this trend seems to be fading. Not having to pay and wait to get a card graded makes it all the more worthwhile. I love pulling a fresh BGS or PSA 10 rookie. UD Graded is the best of these products IMO. Just a little pricey.

BGray

SCF Rewards
    See plunge's Items on eBay

I never even knew about this. More choices in the ever expanding card industry. At least this one is an appealing choice.

SCF Rewards

I think putting graded cards into packs/boxes would be a GREAT idea.

Of course, the concern is that dealers would try to figure out ways to get at these graded cards, then sell off the rest of the box.

Also, since graded cards are placed in their own special holder, how would this work in a wax pack, since you can discern which packs would have a graded card.

I have shifted towards buying cellophane-like packs (Upper Deck) for example. Wax packs make it too easy for corrupt dealers to open, steall all the good cards, then very carefully glue the pack back.

But, I think this would be the next wave that would attract more attention from the public.

You know what would lots of us back into collecting world --- fewer available products.

Back when I was a child in mid 1980s, all we basically had was Donruss, Fleer, and Topps (may be a couple of others like Sport Flics)..

Then I went to college in 1990s.

Now, I am back, sorting out all my cards...and I look at the Becketts, and the vast majority of pages are devoted to 1990s-2000s.

I just wish they'd stop all these products ---- esp. in this economy where the stock market tanks, where people get fired left and right the past 3 years.....who's got the money to buy all these products? I am sure Kobe and Shaq don't spend their $100M on sports cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kingpinlc's Items on eBay

An example of this is the 2001 Fleer Authority Baseball. They included in each of the hobby boxes, 2 graded rookies. You had a chance to get a BGS graded card, up to a 9.5 (no 10's at all) of a card numbered to 2001 of a rookie. These include Pujols, Shinjo, Prior, Texiera & Ichiro, for a total of 50 rookies. You also had a chance at getting a card graded by BGS, rookie, limited to 25, 50, or 75 from the Prominence variation.

It was a great set! I'm one card away from completing the rookies 50 card set in all BGS 9's. All I need is Luis Lopez, and I'm done! I'm still debating if I want to put the whole set up on Ebay. I've got the first 100 cards as well, for a true complete set. I still have no clue what it's all worth though. It's been a tough build.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Originally posted by thekingpin
    An example of this is the 2001 Fleer Authority Baseball. They included in each of the hobby boxes, 2 graded rookies. You had a chance to get a BGS graded card, up to a 9.5 (no 10's at all) of a card numbered to 2001 of a rookie. These include Pujols, Shinjo, Prior, Texiera & Ichiro, for a total of 50 rookies. You also had a chance at getting a card graded by BGS, rookie, limited to 25, 50, or 75 from the Prominence variation.

It was a great set! I'm one card away from completing the rookies 50 card set in all BGS 9's. All I need is Luis Lopez, and I'm done! I'm still debating if I want to put the whole set up on Ebay. I've got the first 100 cards as well, for a true complete set. I still have no clue what it's all worth though. It's been a tough build.

Wow Kignpin! That is friggin impressive! I'm sure it would bring a nice price as you would surely be the first to offer it as a set.

BGray

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

Packs

Can you please distinguish the difference between wax packs and cellophane packs? What are the advantages, disadvantages? Surprisingly, I know a lot about cards but never understood the difference between those types of packs. Perhaps it's misinformation.

Thanks.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks BGray... like I said, it's been a really tough set to build. Some guy built the set in random BGS grades, some ungraded, but all 50 rookies. While it's still 1 of 2001, it's not near what I'm building. Mine will be one of a possible approx. 150. I've got several doubles, either I bought it twice by accident, or as part of a lot. If anyone's interested, let me know... these are great cards to have in your collection.

Stkmtimo...
    Wax packs refers to the old wax paper wrapped packs of cards, and the cellophane is what Upper Deck introduced and has since become the standard. Cellophane is the metallic wrapped packs. While the material is mostly cellophane these days... most people still refer to the standard packs of cards as wax packs.

SCF Rewards
    Country

oh, by the way, that set that the other guy built just sold on ebay tonight for around $125 plus $12 shipping.

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

thekingpin, thanks, I understand now. So wrappers from products like 1989 Topps that can be easily glued back are wax packs? The cellophane packs are nearly impossible to open and reglue, in my opinion.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tytamkeira's Items on eBay

Re: Products with graded cards

Originally posted by BGray
    What do you all feel about Products that put graded cards in packs and boxes?

I personally love it! Unfortunately it seems like it this trend seems to be fading. Not having to pay and wait to get a card graded makes it all the more worthwhile. I love pulling a fresh BGS or PSA 10 rookie. UD Graded is the best of these products IMO. Just a little pricey.

BGray

What do I feel about graded cards in packs and boxes? hmmmm. I don't like it myself. I don't have anything against graded cards but I feel that it takes away from the excitement of pulling a great card and then having a chance of sending that card in to get graded.

Plus another thing I don't like about the packs/boxes with graded cards is that they are pricey. I know that sending a card in to be graded can be expensive too but you at least have the choice of what you want to be graded. To be honest would you want a graded card of a common player or a Super Star? When you send the cards in yourself at least you have the choice of the Super Star unlike you will never know who you would pull if it was already graded for you.

Welp I hope my side is understood and that is just my 2 cents. :)

Richie
    mookigremlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast