Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

Motorcyclist Dies of Head Injury While Protesting Helmet Law

Parish man, protesting motorcycle helmet laws, dies from head injury, troopers say

A Parish man who was participating in a motorcycle helmet protest ride was killed this afternoon when he went over the handlebars of his motorcycle and injured his head on the pavement, state police said.

Philip A. Contos, 55, of 45 East St., Parish, was not wearing a helmet while driving a 1983 Harley Davidson motorcycle south on Route 11 in Onondaga with a large group of other motorcyclists, troopers said.

About 1:30 p.m., troopers said, Contos hit his brakes, the motorcycle fishtailed and went out of control and Contos went over the handlebars.

Contos was taken to Upstate University Hospital where he was pronounced dead, troopers said.

Evidence at the scene and information from the attending physician indicate Contos would have survived if he had been wearing a Department of Transportation approved helmet, troopers said.

We're trying to outlaw natural selection, but it still finds a way.

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

Wow, I wear a helmet when I ride, but I know that most accidents involving a bike and a car usually result in the death of the rider regardless of a helmet or not. At least the helmet gives the rider a chance to live, but not every time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Idiot of the day?

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

I saw this article and had to laugh at these morons, If someone wants to ride without a helmet and gets into an accident they should forfeit their right to any medical help and be left to fend for themselves at the side of the road. I am usually a person with great compassion but you gotta draw the line somewhere when it comes to people like this.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Indianapolis Colts Baltimore Orioles

I saw this article and had to laugh at these morons, If someone wants to ride without a helmet and gets into an accident they should forfeit their right to any medical help and be left to fend for themselves at the side of the road. I am usually a person with great compassion but you gotta draw the line somewhere when it comes to people like this.

Really?

So if someone is riding without a helmet and gets slammed into by another vehicle (and it isnt the cyclists fault) he should die (not be helped) automatically?

**I do believe helmets should be mandatory, but come on...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

It is quite ironic, but I won't go as far to say if you ride without a helmet that you should forfeit your right to medical help. I would wear a helmet if I rode a motorcycle, but when I rode 4 wheelers I did not wear a helmet most of the time. I also do not wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. I know that's not exactly the same, but it's my choice.

Saying non helmet wearers should not be provided medical care would be like saying anyone that's ever smoked should not receive health care should they get cancer or emphysema. If I eat a lot of red meat should I also forfeit my right to receive medical care as well. When you actually think about it your statement is a bit extreme. IMO.