Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

So in the end military gay couples still get discriminated against

http://news.yahoo.com/military-gay-c...153144283.html

As the article states

in the eyes of the military the marriage will not be recognized and the couple will still be denied most of the benefits the Defense Department gives to heterosexual couples to ease the costs of medical care, travel, housing and other living expenses.

The Pentagon says the 1996 federal Defense of Marriage Act — which defines marriage for federal program purposes as a legal union between a man and woman — prohibits the Defense Department from extending those benefits to gay couples, even if they are married legally in certain states.

That means housing allowances and off-base living space for gay service members with partners could be decided as if they were living alone. Base transfers would not take into account their spouses. If two gay service members are married to each other they may be transferred to two different states or regions of the world.

.................................................. .......
    So these people volunteer to fight for this country yet are still spit on by the establishment, Can we really even think we are the greatest nation in the world when we keep doing this to our citizens, esp those who give so much of themselves for this country. Its time we throw all this garbage out the door and catch up to the rest of the modern world instead.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

They are abiding by the DOMA...I know this is a constantly ongoing debate, but it would be kind of hard for the military to go against federal law.

And it mentions "even if they are married legally in certain states," but that is irrelevant. The military is a federal entity and therefore follows federal law.

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

The DOMA is an illegal and unconstitutional law to jam christian ideology down the throat of the nation. As such it is null and void.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

the doma is an illegal and unconstitutional law to jam christian ideology down the throat of the nation. As such it is null and void.

+1

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

The DOMA is an illegal and unconstitutional law to jam christian ideology down the throat of the nation. As such it is null and void.

Until the SCOTUS declares it null and void or it is repealed, it's still the law of the land. I understand disagreeing with it, but you have to see that the military cannot go against it as things stand now. There are laws I think are unconstitutional, but that doesn't mean I can ignore them with no consequences.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

+2

I also see that they are just following current law.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

until the scotus declares it null and void or it is repealed, it's still the law of the land. I understand disagreeing with it, but you have to see that the military cannot go against it as things stand now. There are laws i think are unconstitutional, but that doesn't mean i can ignore them with no consequences.

+1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See undefeated*'s Items on eBay

As long as we're plus-one-ing...yes, the DOMA is an unconstitutional piece of right-wing fundie Christian dogma. But unfortunately, those in the service are nonetheless compelled to adhere to it until it can be repealed.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Expecting the military to use logic is niave. This is the same military that puts an automatic weapon in the hands of a person whom the government says is not even old enough to legally hold an open beer.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

Until the SCOTUS declares it null and void or it is repealed, it's still the law of the land. I understand disagreeing with it, but you have to see that the military cannot go against it as things stand now. There are laws I think are unconstitutional, but that doesn't mean I can ignore them with no consequences.

This is the only correct answer to this issue from a legal standpoint regardless of how anyone feels.