Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

A Lesson Learned in an Unlikely Place- Contest Entry

One Friday, I went to the Chantilly, VA card show with my Uncle. I had just gotten paid in the morning, so I had a few extra bucks to spend. I got together the cards I needed to complete my sets for 2002 Topps and a few random other ones. I used the Inventory Manager on here, which lessened my work! I love that thing. Anyways, I also got the list of Andrew Bailey cards I needed (which I left at home. Heh, oh well). I met him there, before we went our separate ways.

I did my usual tour of the place to see what I was interested in. Friday was the first day the card show was there, and we were there pretty early, so there wasn’t too too much. I found a few guys with thousands of random base cards, and noted where they were so I could come back to them. I finished up my circle, and headed to the first table.

It took me a matter of seconds to find the set I needed. 2002 Topps is outlined in gold, front and back. I got out my list, and then realized I also left my pen at home, probably right next to my Andrew Bailey list. Not off to a good start. I dug around a few piles of the bright cards and made a pile of the ones I needed. I knocked out about 80% of my wantlist, which was good. I still needed a pen, so I looked around for one. The second to last table I went to had a sharpie, which he let me have. I went to sit down and cross out the ones I just got.

Once that task was completed, I started my search again for the cards I needed. There were over 300 booths there, and people were blocking many of them, so this was not an easy task. I couldn’t find any more tables that had what I needed, but I still had a good amount of money. I started looking for Andrew Bailey cards, but also came up empty. I decided I would get a box to break since I couldn’t find anything else to get. I looked around for a good price, and saw a guy who I had bought from in previous shows. He gave me a good deal on a box of 2006 Upper Deck Artifacts. I bought it, thinking I could sell my hits later, and sat down to see what I got.

The box had ten packs and four cards in each. In the first pack I opened, I pulled an Eric Gagne GU /150. It brought back memories of Gagne in his prime a few years ago, but he pretty much disappeared. I continued opening, until I came to pack four. In that one, I pulled an Ian Kinsler auto /800. I continued opening and got two more good cards; a Ken Griffey Jr GU and a Felipe Lopez GU. I was fairly happy in what I got.

I went to see my uncle, who wasn’t quite done yet. He said he only had a few more minutes to go, so I took one last look around to see if I missed anything. Sure enough, one of the tables had an Andrew Bailey card I needed for my personal collection! It was a Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor /25. I asked the dealer what the price of it was. He started out at thirty, but quickly changed to 25. The Box I had just bought had lowered my cash to about $14, which only would have been about half of what he was asking for. If I didn’t get the box, I would have had one of the nicest cards of Bailey to add to my collection.

I went to this card show looking to increase my PC of Andrew Bailey (which I did… by one base card) and to finish off some sets. I came out of the card show with much more than just cards.

I will never again buy something just to buy it. I was hoping the artifacts would have gifted me with some nice, low-numbered cards that I could sell for a quick buck. Instead, I hurt my chances of quickly completing my Andrew Bailey super collection. Instead of getting a card I truly wanted, I “wasted” my money on cards that I am just trying to sell.
    Last edited by andrewhoya; 08-18-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Andrew Bailey Supercollector: 224/255 not including 1/1's (87.8%); 254/458 cards including 1/1's(55.5%)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (18)
    Country

lol should of borrowed 11 bucks from your uncle..

SCF Rewards
    Country

lol should of borrowed 11 bucks from your uncle..

I don't ask people for things. I knew he was trying to spend a set amount there, and didn't want to take away from him.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

Lesson learned,and I hope you pick up that Bailey card somewhere down the road.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Lesson learned,and I hope you pick up that Bailey card somewhere down the road.

Me too. I'm hoping the guy still has it in October when I go!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Thanks for the entry Andrew, good story!

Published here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/artic...nlikely-place/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks Karine!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Greengoblin782's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

Wow tough break. Hopefully you find that card again. Just searched EBAY and they have one for $99.99 or best offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Bowman-...item20b94b4c07

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow tough break. Hopefully you find that card again. Just searched EBAY and they have one for $99.99 or best offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Bowman-...item20b94b4c07

Yeah, this guy definitely was giving me a great deal. I'm hoping he's there next month